Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

WG not hooked to boost reference?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 01:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WG not hooked to boost reference?

I had the engine pulled and rebuilt and when it was reinstalled the shop did not hook up the line that runs from the turbo(compressor housing) to the WG. It is a twin turbo application so one was hooked up but the other one was not.

Would that cause the turbo with no reference to try and over boost while the other one would open and try to keep boost down? Would it reduce the hp given the same boost? Would it create a lot of back pressure on one side of the block? Or increase the IAT's more than if it was hooked up properly?

Before the engine was removed the 10lb spings were making 7psi. Now, it was making 10psi on the dyno and 11.5 on the street. I think the one turbo was working harder than the other one. Luckily, the one turbo doesn't make enough cfm's to over boost the engine to the point of breaking it.

The turbos are GT3586's and I have read where one has made 700rwhp on smaller engines on imports.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:23 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Both turbos will still be working, but once one w'g opens, the other turbo will be still working hard.

Bit of a weird scenario, and it wouldnt be good for the turbo with a closed w/g as it could end up overspeeding trying to keep pumping in air.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:24 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Both turbos will still be working, but once one w'g opens, the other turbo will be still working hard.

Bit of a weird scenario, and it wouldnt be good for the turbo with a closed w/g as it could end up overspeeding trying to keep pumping in air.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is what I think was happining also. At first both turbos would spool normally but when it reaches 10psi(WG spring) one WG would open trying to reduce boost. while the turbo with the WG closed would continue to make boost up to its limit. Eventually the turbo with the WG open would be making very little boost as compared to the other one. If the one closed WG turbo was bigger it would creat a lot of boost but since it is not that big ic could only muster 11.5psi, lol.

It would also take that turbo out of its optimal operating range making it not so efficient thus why my hp numbers were a little low.

BTW, it happened for a short period of time while dynoing it. Maybe 20 pulls total at lower than 10psi and a couple spirited runs on the highway as traction allowed. I was cheking everything out getting ready for the track when I relized it was not hooked up and corrected it.

Quick Reply: WG not hooked to boost reference?