Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Poor man's dual stage boost controller(GM boost solenoid)

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 06:22 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any wiring diagrams for this setup?
Old 01-14-2013, 06:48 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just send power and ground to the noid, very simple.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:09 AM
Staging Lane

I got a question that I have been thinking about for a while but cant really find a solid answer to. How about the tune?

Say I want to have two stages, 6 and 14 psi, running one of them (6) of the wastegate and the other one of a manual boost controller through a noid like said before in this thread.

I want to runt both of them on the same fuel (e85) and use the 6 psi mode for the everyday driving and the 14 psi for racing. Can I have the same tune for both or do I need two different onces? I don't want to compromise on drive-ability and mileage on the 6 psi tune as its going to be used a lot...

Sorry for the OT but this really interest me
Thanks
Old 03-20-2013, 06:22 AM
10 Second Club

Same tune will work for both, normally you can only double the spring tho(6 up to 12, or 7 up to 14, etc), just depends on back pressures, wg location, etc.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:40 AM
11 Second Club

Pretty cool stuff.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:53 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by skinnies
Same tune will work for both, normally you can only double the spring tho(6 up to 12, or 7 up to 14, etc), just depends on back pressures, wg location, etc.
Ok, thanks! double is probably good enough by far, does this apply for MAF and SD tunes?

Last edited by axelg89; 03-20-2013 at 07:25 AM.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:10 AM
10 Second Club

Just do a SD tune and delete the MAF in my opinion.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:53 AM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

SD tune is easier, but as long as the car is tuned at all boost levels you intend to use, then you will be fine.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:05 PM
11 Second Club

so how about that part # on the solenoid????
Old 03-30-2013, 11:29 PM
10 Second Club

I found another one and a joe P manual boost controller I don't need. I'll look to see if it has a part number on it.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

subscribed.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

i was planning on doing this last year for free using my evap solenoid. never got around to it. my idea was to keep the solenoid engergized for low boost and allow the free path to bypass the hallman. i dont know how steady the low boost would be cause i didnt try it... my worries was the hallman wouldnt have been shut off from air supply... i was thinking if the boost/hallman is cranked up enough that the ball wouldnt open so it SHOULDNT have been a factor. then shut the power off and close solenoid to force the air through the hallman for increased boost. i was only gonna do it cause i ripped evap off my car and had a solenoid sitting there.. lol
Old 04-20-2013, 06:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You don't think the solenoid would like overheat or anything, due to being turn on 100% duty. I guessing the high boost setting, which would be when the solenoid is turned on, would only be used when you need it. There is no need to ride around on high boost, but its there if you need it.
Old 04-20-2013, 06:26 PM
On The Tree

As far as the tuning, someone said the same tune is used for both settings? I am having a hard time understanding, I don't know why. I am currently on MAF and on stock MAP. If I want to run low boost on wastegate, and flip the switch to run high boost and methanol, the same tune is used? So basically since one tune is used, timing is the same, just higher boost can be run when the methanol is turned on? Do I have it or am I completely off.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:50 AM
On The Tree

Using one of these : http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/e...kit-p-285.html

Mount a switch in the cabin, mount the solenoid where it won't see EXTREME temps in the engine bay. Run switched 12V through the switch and to the solenoid, ground the other lead. Run a boost source in the single port. From the 2 ports run one to the wastegate and the other through your boost controller then to the wastegate. Test to determine which passage is open with the car off key on and adjust the polarity as desired i.e. switch off = low boost.

I successfully ran ~12psi off the wastegate spring and ~25psi off the manual controller on a 50 Trim 1.8T VW. Worked great for the 2 years before I sold the car. Could switch boost on the fly and had no issues.

Your tune should be based on the maximum boost you will run. If you drop your boost level, the engine will adjust on its own based on the inputs it sees. Remember, the ECU knows what pressure it is seeing via the MAP sensor.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bcbosley
As far as the tuning, someone said the same tune is used for both settings? I am having a hard time understanding, I don't know why. I am currently on MAF and on stock MAP. If I want to run low boost on wastegate, and flip the switch to run high boost and methanol, the same tune is used? So basically since one tune is used, timing is the same, just higher boost can be run when the methanol is turned on? Do I have it or am I completely off.
you can only go so far til you max out your stock maf. the best setup is speed density 2 bar or 3 bar bar depending on how much you want to boost. you dont need a different tune you just need to tune each boost level once and your done. the fueling comes from the VE table which references the map sensor in KPA vs RPM. so if you are boosting 7psi or ~150kpa it will reference that part of the map. if you are boosting 14 psi ~200kpa it will reference the 200kpa part of the map for fueling.

basically tune in the VE table (fuel map) for each boost level you will run.. do it once and youre done and you can run difference boost levels without having to change the tune... ofcourse this kind limits what you do with your ignition timing (more timing for low boost, less timing for more boost) but there are ways around that if you know how to tune
Old 04-21-2013, 09:40 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Exactly right. Unless you change fuels, it should all be the same. Tune for the max boost you will run and anything under that will be included provided whoever tunes it touches on all areas of the VE or MAF table.
Old 04-21-2013, 05:39 PM
On The Tree

I understand now, if using the same fuel tune for high boost and any lower boost setting will fall in the fuel tables. But will it still be the same in my case where I want to run 6 psi on 93 pump gas, and like 9-10 psi on 93 and methanol. If its tuned on high boost with methanol, won't the low boost setting be screwed up because no meth is being used?
Old 04-21-2013, 05:47 PM
On The Tree

I make 500 rwhp with 6psi off wastegate spring right now. I am currently adding methanol and want to run this diy high boost setting to run 9-10 psi with the methanol. When I go to get retuned I just don't want to over look anything. With my first tune for the 6 psi, the tuner said to just stick with the MAF for that power level. I was planning on sticking with the MAF again, but I am still on stock MAP. How can the PCM even see boost? Should I be running a 2Bar MAP, or is that only needed with SD?
Old 04-21-2013, 06:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bcbosley
I understand now, if using the same fuel tune for high boost and any lower boost setting will fall in the fuel tables. But will it still be the same in my case where I want to run 6 psi on 93 pump gas, and like 9-10 psi on 93 and methanol. If its tuned on high boost with methanol, won't the low boost setting be screwed up because no meth is being used?
If you have the car tuned on meth with it coming on with a pressure switch set higher than your low boost setting you should be fine

Quick Reply: Poor man's dual stage boost controller(GM boost solenoid)