Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Would you rather?? Electric or boost activated cutout.

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 02:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I preffer electric.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With the pneumatic I can imagine having a cop behind you and not being able to use the long pedal because it'd make too much noise. That'd make you look even shadier. Might want to make sure there's a bypass in there or something.

I'd go electric and not sweat it. How many times are you going to beat on it and you don't know it's coming. When Squidface McDadsmoney pulls up, you already know what's about to go down.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by milkplus
With the pneumatic I can imagine having a cop behind you and not being able to use the long pedal because it'd make too much noise. That'd make you look even shadier. Might want to make sure there's a bypass in there or something.

I'd go electric and not sweat it. How many times are you going to beat on it and you don't know it's coming. When Squidface McDadsmoney pulls up, you already know what's about to go down.
I already had that issue addressed with a solenoid that closes off the signal pressure to prevent the boost activated cutout from being able to open.

It works every time, all the time. Plus there's no electric motor to burn out or vibrate loose.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:02 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ping King
I already had that issue addressed with a solenoid that closes off the signal pressure to prevent the boost activated cutout from being able to open.

It works every time, all the time. Plus there's no electric motor to burn out or vibrate loose.
Nitrous kit purge noids are good for something... lol
Old 01-05-2013, 08:26 PM
8 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm happy with my electric one. Rarely ever open it. Spool time is noticeably faster, boost runs up a little higher before it settles back down (but it does settle), and the butt dyno says it's making more power, but I don't like the way it sounds really. Definitely sounds like a terrible exhaust leak while cruising with it open. I wouldn't want it opening every time I hit boost... but that's just my opinion.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:02 AM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Can you turn the 4" into an oval, or wide oval to pass through ?

Or divorce the w/g discharge until after the K-member which would mean less gas in the DP.

If your ecu has any switchable/configurable outputs, you could control an electric cutout whatever way you wanted.

I'd just try and build it as quiet as possible all the time though.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I would suggest to STAY AWAY FROM DMH Cutouts!
Old 05-18-2013, 08:25 PM
10 Second Club

Well i ended up buying the electric, then I changed my mind and bought the boost activated one. Well that doesn't work. It doesn't open. Never thought this was possible but sound performance is telling me because i have it at the end of my dp that the exhaust flow is keeping it shut.

Basically i ran a 4 inch dp straight down, then in the side of the pipe i cut a 3 inch hole and attached my 3 inch exhaust through the kmember and to the rest of the exhaust. Its not a good flowing exhaust but i made it with the intention of puting the boost activated cutout at the end of the dp. Then when exhaust flow matters it opens and dumps.
Old 05-18-2013, 08:27 PM
10 Second Club

They put a lighter spring in the actuator to make it open earlier and it does the same. Its all hooked up right, boost right off comp housing.

So i put the qtp electric on and it works great. The exhaust doesn't keep that blade closed. I just really wanted that automatic opening and closing
Old 05-18-2013, 10:30 PM
TECH Veteran

any pix of that setup
Old 05-19-2013, 12:24 AM
TECH Addict

+1 on avoiding DMH. to my knowledge they had a great product, but they are touch and go with customer service and repairs. at least you can actually contact QTP. I bought one of there electric cutouts with a remote control fob and it was very reasonably priced. I want it loud when I want it loud, not when the car does. I want to be in control. Should pick up some serious power with the turbo car.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:54 AM
10 Second Club

Ok, I just started a new thread with pictures on the boost activated cutout not working.
Old 05-19-2013, 02:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thats why I would preffer a Electric cutout. You can open it when you want, just place it on a easy spot for you to open it or close it.

Quick Reply: Would you rather?? Electric or boost activated cutout.