Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Tell me why I should not fill my ls3 block?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 11:17 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverSS
Can't say much for an aluminum block but my iron block is almost a 3/4 fill and is all street. I good oil cooler is a must and keeps the oils temps happy. It can be driven all day in the hot TX weather. The block is rock solid and will not push a drop of water on hard runs and a maxed out F1A with stock head. Maybe the hard block is keeping the cylinders from moving around? My last build would lose some water without the fill. Maybe it works for something?
I am filing my iron block hopefully to keep some rigidity in the deck surface so I don't push water like you mentioned.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:48 AM
9 Second Club

Received 238 Likes on 177 Posts

Im using a filled LS3 block and if the it doesnt lift a head or push water should make 1500+rwhp pretty easily.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:26 AM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=SilverSS;17037647]Can't say much for an aluminum block but my iron block is almost a 3/4 fill and is all street. I good oil cooler is a must and keeps the oils temps happy. It can be driven all day in the hot TX weather. The block is rock solid and will not push a drop of water on hard runs and a maxed out F1A with stock head. Maybe the hard block is keeping the cylinders from moving around? My last build would lose some water without the fill. Maybe it works for something?[/QUOTE

I like what you said which is its working for you lol! I haven't ever run anything but aluminum blocks because I didnt want the added weight in my cars, but a few friends doing it and from what I can tell the iron blocks don't lift heads as easy which is no big suprise since they don't deflect as much as an aluminum block might. I don't really know what the OP was wanting to hear except from PPl who have filled there blocks and specificly an LS3 to hear there experiences. But I took it that he wanted to know if thats what he has to do to make a reliable LS3 FI motor and my point is do it if you want, but its not needed really. But from old school ppl that used to fill the blocks the oil cooler was a must for them as well, no big news there either. Yall continue to discuss it all you want guys sorry if I come across as a know it all. Not what I meant. But I don't post in a bunch of these threads much like I used to because I don't have time and is seems like its always the same questions being discussed and no one wants to search. SO I occationally respond to some of the new questions that haven't been discussed much, such as this one. GL! To every one.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:33 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Inspector12
Yeah go ahead and try to critic my post if you want bro its not helping you with anything, its a stock LS3 with a stock crank too making over 1K so what ever the CI is I didn't care to be THAT specific. You LMK when you get the perfect set up that no one in all these years could figure out! And your wrong about filling the block strengthing around the sleeves cause if you don't fill it up all the way there are still places that don't have support around them. But like I said if it makes you feel special and all warm and fuzzy inside go ahead no one is stopping you! I never have needed to do any of that fancy ****. I just build them meticulously and they hold up. GL!
So the hard block isnt strengthening the area around sleeves and making them more stable? Trying to learn since you say im wrong. Learn me.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:53 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by LS1NOVA
So the hard block isnt strengthening the area around sleeves and making them more stable? Trying to learn since you say im wrong. Learn me.
I don't think its doing much if anything at all if not completely surrounding the entire cylinders as the places that aren't supported by the hard block haven't changed. But MAYBE it is?? Who knows as I haven't done it on any of my LS motors. I don't see the point for these power levels for sure. But Learn me something and let me know how it works for YOU! I personally think pinning the main caps is probably the best stabilizing thing for an aluminum motor and cheap to do when having the machine work done. I also haven't done this on any of my motors, but the LS9's come with dowels from GM as they found some benefit apparently and others such as the Ohio Boys were some of the first to show they benefits of pinning the mains. So if I ever do anything more than what I have been, thats what its going to be. Sorry if I came off as a dick not my intent. Let me know how it works for you.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Im thinking about it this way: say you have one 4' 2x4 and one 8' 2x4, which one is sturdier?

The OP was considering pinning the mains as well but nobody local here in MN does it.

Dont worry about coming off as a dick, its hard to interpret tone on the internet and everyone always gets butthurt easily. Good discussion.

Other guys, how far are you filling them? If all the way, what are you doing to make up for hotter oil and coolant temps?
Old 01-09-2013, 02:06 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by LS1NOVA
Im thinking about it this way: say you have one 4' 2x4 and one 8' 2x4, which one is sturdier?

The OP was considering pinning the mains as well but nobody local here in MN does it.

Dont worry about coming off as a dick, its hard to interpret tone on the internet and everyone always gets butthurt easily. Good discussion.

Other guys, how far are you filling them? If all the way, what are you doing to make up for hotter oil and coolant temps?
Well I knew what your or everyone's thought about how hardblock is working and the 2x4 was a good example of what I thought as well. But What I had seen in a few old school blocks it why I have my doughts if it works like thought. It seems like it shrinks up and wasn't completely supporting all they way around the cylinders etc... And thats where I get the lack of support theory etc... I did a little searching and found some good info on Yellowbullet here is a link check it out it was a good read and had mentioned a better alternative filler for aluminum blocks etc... http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=400616
Old 01-09-2013, 09:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Does anyone have photos of what this looks like?

Quick Reply: Tell me why I should not fill my ls3 block?