Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

To anyone thinking of putting a lsx, single t6 turbo in a second gen f body

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 10:46 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

finishing exhaust and tail pipes.
Attached Thumbnails To anyone thinking of putting a lsx, single t6 turbo in a second gen f body-turbo1.jpg   To anyone thinking of putting a lsx, single t6 turbo in a second gen f body-turbo2.jpg  
Old 02-11-2013, 07:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for posting this up. I have a couple of old 71 trans ams that I'd like to go with twin turbos. I want to sell one of them to fund the TT project on the other. I also have a nice 496 BB chevy on the stand that I can sell to help with the funding.

I looked at the OBX headers, or the cheaper "tight fit" manifolds on ebay. the tight fit manifolds look like the would work ok and mount the turbos out front with plenty of clearance.

if the truck manifolds will work flipping them, that would be great.

I'm cruzin fine on the old 455 poncho motor right now but I'm a chevy guy and need something to keep up with the LPE 95 ZR-1 and the TT 2003 Z06. looking to get to about 800 rwhp without breaking the bank.

I might take the TT LS6 engine out of the Z06, and build a new LS3 based engine for that car and freshen up the LS6 for the Turbo TA project.

anyone ever try the TTiX manifolds? I might be able to get those separately and use their 3" down pipes and fab up the rest of the plumbing. they mount the turbos down low and really hug the block and they will still gravity drain.

thanks for posting up your pics. your car looks great! might go the single turbo route if I can find a "kit approach" that I don't have to do quite so much fabrication on the hot side.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:22 PM
Staging Lane

I was thinking of trying obx headers but i dont think there would be room. Didnt wanna put out almost $600 and find they dont fit. It would probably be easier to to a TT set up. When i first came up with this turbo project idea i didnt know much about turbos other than i could build a high power streetable engine. So i bought a 88mm Garrett not really knowing what i was buying other than a big T6 thinking it would be cheaper to do a single than a twin. At the time i planned turboing my big block i had in at the time. Then i seen 1320 videos fairmont and after all the problems with my big block it was sold at a big loss and a 5.3 was dropped in . After getting everything together i found the 88mm was leaking oil. So instead of fixing it right now i picked up a 76 mm TV7512 then just recently another 76 mm TV7512 so maybe i will do a twin 76mm t6 i might need a bigger engine to spool two of those lol.
Old 09-15-2013, 02:39 PM
Staging Lane

Well it was quite the busy summer, not in a good way. The 5.3 bent all the rods and melted a hole in the side of #7 piston after trying to get use to the manual boost controller (wastegate spiked at 20 pounds). So I pulled it out and found an lq4 for 125 bucks. Swapped parts and put a Howard's turbo cam, and swapped the modded truck oil pan for an ls1. Didn't bother setting ring gap, set the wastegate at 8 pounds. Got only one pass and at end of the run heard a loud clanging noise, drove over an hour home like that making about 10 pulls to see if the noise would change... It didnt. Drove it easy for a few days with the noise. Finally decided to tear it down #7 piston ring land broken. Didn't have a spare piston, pulled it and put in another 5.3. Then drove to a track 2 hours away, raced it made about 10 or so passes and noticed oil pressure was dropping a bit at a time. When we left the track I only had about 2 pounds of oil pressure drove about a mile and lost all pressure. I managed to drive it all the way home I still don't know how I managed ,pulled engine apart none of the bearings were damaged. So I got a piston for the lq4 and set the ring gap this time. Put it back in, switched to megasquirt efi. Pics to come.
The following users liked this post:
Ls7colorado (09-29-2020)

Quick Reply: To anyone thinking of putting a lsx, single t6 turbo in a second gen f body