Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Any online resources for learning to build a turbo kit?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 08:45 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,138 Likes on 740 Posts

Alex you still in the city? I know a cool guy who is building custom bobber bikes he'd probably let you hang out and show you how to tig/mig. He's working out of a spot over by North and Elston by Stanley's. Email me if interested.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:55 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes still in the City, i actually work for the City now and my shop is at north and elston behind the home depot.
id love to hang out and learn some stuff, sending pm.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:16 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is a really good thread that I saw a while back that details a guy learning to tig and make his own turbo kit. A LOT of information and advice from welders and the guys own trial and error.

http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?t=45112
Old 01-26-2013, 07:43 AM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ive been doing this for 15 years and doing turbo systems for about 10 now and i learn something new everyday, and ive got about 20k in tools and fab equipment once you get started you get hooked and the more you do the better youll get. the man thing is the dumbest question is the one you didnt ask. so anytime you dont know just ask. good luck
Old 01-27-2013, 01:22 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,138 Likes on 740 Posts

Alex please email me at john@motorsports-media.com I don't use PM's
Old 01-27-2013, 05:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
I wouldnt worry about using TIG...just MIG it all. It's faster , cheaper and no need to backpurge.
IMO TIG'ing offers no real benefit at all, other than looking pretty

As for cutting pipes, grinder is fine. Stick a hose clamp around the pipe, whether t-bolt or other, but a wide band can be better. And use this as a cutting guide. If it's a snug fit around the metal pipe, you can ensure a good straight even cut around it's diameter, especially on bends.
this is how i learned and built my first kit, looked over a ton of build threads on here. make a couple more and buy more tools learn more tricks as you go. i can mig, but still havent learned to tig so i build the kits and tack everything together and buddy tigs it for me.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:32 PM
10 Second Club

Thanks for every ones input, really appreciate it. Im going to check out some community colleges for some welding or metal work classes. Also I'm going to start researching equipment. Id like to start with a mig welder and chopsaw to get started. Might even offer to my friends to do free exhaust work just for experience. Ill post up progress on my car when i start with s some small upgrades like a better ic and bracket setup and a custom 4 inch dp.

Quick Reply: Any online resources for learning to build a turbo kit?