Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers
View Poll Results: Are CNC ported heads worth the expense on most turbo 5.3 builds??
Yes, they very beneficial and pay big dividends throughout the RPM range.
25.93%
No, not worth the expense and just turn up the boost slightly to make up the difference.
74.07%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

For a semi-budget turbo 5.3 build are (CNC) ported heads worth the expense??

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 08:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't see putting ported heads on a stock shortblock. Like someone else said,the rods and pistons will give up long before the heads will stop making power. Its kind of like the guys that spend alot of money on porting there aftermarket heads for a stock block 302 Ford motor.The block will split long before you will run out of head no matter what aftermarket head you have.

I think of it this way. Back in the 80s and 90s I had alot of turbo Buicks and I have seen the power they can make with stock heads and those heads look and flow like they should be on a lawn mower so just about any LS head should be able to make well over 800hp if you can put enough boost to them.
I have seen a 3600 pound Buick run in the high 120s with stock heads that flow (I think) around 170 at best.
Old 09-08-2013, 11:35 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 165 Likes on 109 Posts

I come from the Buick GN world also and even ported factory iron heads only flow a little over about 200cfm. My buddy with factory long block was running low 120mph with an upgraded turbo/inj/downpipe/intercooler/tune. He was a pretty big guy and I'm guessing the car was around 3800lbs.

Obviously better flowing heads help... but if you are targeting avg HP and nothing over the top.... then don't do the heads. Combo combo combo is what yields great results.

Quick Reply: For a semi-budget turbo 5.3 build are (CNC) ported heads worth the expense??