Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

A thought about engine cooling......tell me if this is ridiculous or not....?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 10:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kpeterson
By placing one heat exchanger in front of the other two undesirable things happen. The airflow through both will be reduced. And, the effectiveness of the rear heat exchanger is also reduced because the air it sees has been heated by the first. I have heard some interesting debates about not much being gained by four vs. three row radiators because of both of these issues. I understand the idea of ducting the heated air down from the first to avoid heating the second radiator but the issue of providing adequate incoming air to the second radiator comes up as well as adding restriction to the air exiting the first. The sharp downward turn will likely significantly reduce airflow and the same thing happens trying to get fresh air into the second radiator. The distance between the two would have to be pretty large in order to not reduce the flows to either . It is likely that in this set up the out going air is restricted for the first radiator and the incomming air is restricted to the second.
That was my thoughts, putting up a partition is going to slow the air down too much and your second radiator is still going to pick up a good amount of that air from the first radiator. Unless you build some sort intricate piping to exhaust that hot air BEHIND the second radiator. I'd either stack with no partition or just buy a double/triple(triple to get your hoses on the correct sides) pass.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:51 AM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by chuntington101
Google rear mounted radiators. Done to death the other side of the pond (england and EU) on many race cars (postly 4pot turbo engines). if you can fit a large enough rear rad you might not need the front as the rear rad would be seeing much 'better' air (NOT having had to go through a intercooler).

You WILL need fans on the back of the rear rad to get the airflow.

Dont just stick one core behind the other. The ambient air has enough trouble getting through as it is!

Alteratively keep the stock rad where it is, run a A2W setup and remote mount the HE towards the rear of the car.

Chris.
I will be using an A2A set up....that's what the CBR TT kit uses.

Depending on how much room is in between the rear radiator and the sheet metal duct coming off the back of the front radiator.......the fans on the back of the rear radiator will be able to suck fresh ambient temperature air in and through that rear radiator. Or just put another piece of sheet metal across, in between the bottom of the rear and front radiators, then no hot air being down to the street can be sucked up into the front of the rear radiator. Even if it just sucks air in from the engine compartment, it will be cooling air.

I think the puller fans on the rear radiator just needs 2 inches in front of it to suck air into it sufficiently for cooling.....

Old 02-01-2013, 11:52 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 91sonomast
That was my thoughts, putting up a partition is going to slow the air down too much and your second radiator is still going to pick up a good amount of that air from the first radiator. Unless you build some sort intricate piping to exhaust that hot air BEHIND the second radiator. I'd either stack with no partition or just buy a double/triple(triple to get your hoses on the correct sides) pass.
Sheet metal duct directing all the hot air from the front radiator is the idea....

Post # 8

Old 02-01-2013, 12:10 PM
Banned

Maybe my mister idea will be much more simple and easy to install. Hit a switch and let a water mist from multiple rails in front of the a/c condenser get pulled through the condenser and radiator. That should drop temps 15-20 degrees F in 1 minute or so.

Can use the windshield wiper reservoir for the water tank.

LOL

Old 02-01-2013, 12:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Subaru uses something like that for their top mount intercooler on the Sti models. Works well.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sarg
Subaru uses something like that for their top mount intercooler on the Sti models. Works well.
Uses what......dual radiators or the water mister....?

Old 02-01-2013, 07:09 PM
TECH Addict

Water mister to cool the intercooler.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sarg
Water mister to cool the intercooler.
Yup. The water in the windshield wiper reservoir can run continually for 3 hours, putting mist through the condenser via 4 rails with 4 mister in each rail.

That would be the best way probably........

It would especially be good for the drag strip guys......cool that sucker off in a minute between races.....especially when they have to sit in long lines running their engines.

Or me.....before a hard core roll race.......drop the temps down to the sweet spot and then run it.

Old 02-02-2013, 07:57 AM
TECH Addict

In a car I set up to run speed density with the air temp sensor taken out of the MAF and relocated to post intercooler, I saw about a 10* drop below ambient after the intercooler with one of these set ups....quite honestly I was amazed! Of course under boost it was not that low, but still, it definitely had an effect! I guess it is similar to what I have seen on my old truck. If you look at the throttle body after cruising down the road for an extended period of time it will actually get cold to the touch even on a hot day from evaporative cooling.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:12 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This setup is far too complex! Fit the biggest rad you can in the space you have, either the front or the back. Get as much cold air flowing to the rad as you can. Endure the air HAS to go through the rad, ie shroud it! Make sure the air can get out the engine bay. Coat / wrap the hot bits as much as you can. It's all pretty simple stuff really that has been done before. Speak to the road race guys if you want tips for keeping cars cool.

Obviously anything in front of the rad will reduce it effectiveness and that includes the HE for the chargecooler (think the stock cbr one is mounted behind the rad) so if you can give it it's own cold air feed the that would be better.

Water sprays can work but are a lot of hassle. Plus if you roadrace or drag race your car you won't be liked!

Quick Reply: A thought about engine cooling......tell me if this is ridiculous or not....?