Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Bmr turbo k member users come inside!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 11:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Bmr turbo k member users come inside!

So I'm in the middle of my install and ran into a few questions before I continue..

Those 2 points at the top of the K member that slide into the fram rails are a super tight fit, So i reamed open the holes in my frame 1/8th of an inch and the k member slide right in..

Now I go to bolt it up and the holes in the k member don't quite line up with the frame holes, But It looks like if I ream open those holes that the points slide into then I can allign the mounts up and everything will be fine..

Has anyone ran into this before.

And it seems once the k member is bolted down that those 2 points will serve no purpose really?? so whats up peeps?

Oh and those 2 washers that are zip tied to the k member, are they supposed to stay exactly where they are at? because if they stay then there will be a small gap between the k member and the frame rail, I was thinking that the washer would go underneath when putting the bolt through...

any help thanks..

update as of 2/1/13 below

Bump and I added some pics of what I'm dealing with now...

driver side rear mount

driver side middle mount

driver side front mount

Passenger rear mount

Passenger middle mount

Passenger front mount

As you can see the front mounts are pretty dead on accurate, and the passenger rear is dead on, the others are a hair off.. I used a pry bar to allign them better, right now they are just snug and not torqued down yet..

My question is if they are a hair off like this will it be a huge problem, I know the allignment will compensate for any irregularities...

Or Do I absolutely need them to be directly centered over the holes? In a perfect world yes, but this car is 15 years old and this could just be normal?

Please anyone here install a bmr/umi k member run into this???
Old 02-02-2013, 01:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mine was a PITA to line up as well. But I fear since you have already drilled out the holes for the dowels, you probably wont be able to get the other points perfectly lined up now. is the kmember bolted to the engine or no?? I had to jack my motor up off the pedestals and was able to pry the kmember into place. holding the kmember up, level as you try to line it up is a Must. I was on my back in my carport, so I had to use a pull strap to secure the side i was not working on, as close to the frame as i could, so that the dowels and holes would line up enough to get bolts started. Motor mounts were a whole other PITA. I found doing the passenger side first, worked best for mine, but was still a lot of do and redo frustrations. I cannot answer your question about whether the mounts not being lined up will be a problem, probably best to contact BMR.
Old 02-02-2013, 03:46 PM
TECH Addict

No the k member is in there by itself, I took everything out so I could paint the engine bay...

was your k member holes perfectly alligned with your frame rails ^^
Old 02-03-2013, 06:01 PM
TECH Addict

bump to the top
Old 02-03-2013, 06:10 PM
TECH Regular

I have installed 3 BMR K-members and all of them have fit relatively close. The last one I installed, all of the holes lined up perfect except for passenger side lower one. I was able to get it to work with a little effort.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:03 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 03supercobra
I have installed 3 BMR K-members and all of them have fit relatively close. The last one I installed, all of the holes lined up perfect except for passenger side lower one. I was able to get it to work with a little effort.
So would you consider mine way off or withing reason..? I havent been able to work on it in a couple days... tommorow I'm going to try some more pry bar action..
Old 02-03-2013, 11:51 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Burken01
So would you consider mine way off or withing reason..? I havent been able to work on it in a couple days... tommorow I'm going to try some more pry bar action..
Its kinda hard to tell from just the picture, but it looks like one of the front alignment dowels isn't going in the hole? Mine weren't that far off. You might be able to make it work by using and impact and pry bar.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Mine on my trans am was a little tight . I think your on the right track its just going to take some prying and a impact and some cursing. I just put a k member in Fairmont and it went in like a dream but some don't Goodluck you'll get it.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

should fit. nice.

call BMR have them give you some measurements and make sure a jig didnt get bumped while welding it. i have seen that happen on a few UMI units and one Spohn unit.

but they should fit tight be FIT. i have installed 30 or so start all the bolts before you tighten them up.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:51 PM
TECH Addict

I talked to BMR earlier, I have it on right.... The k member holes don't have to be directly over the frame holes, the fbody frames were built with big tolerances..
Old 02-05-2013, 01:03 AM
On The Tree

I wish that BMR realse one for the GTO .

Quick Reply: Bmr turbo k member users come inside!