Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Help me solve this problem.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 07:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok guys im to the point idc what it is i just want to make sure i know what it is befor i drop cash lol...

How would i go about checking out the turbo besides just spining it and feeling endplay? been around ALOT of trashed turbos on semi trucks and they are quite obvious lol.....

I even spent the day pricing up a 408 build but i decided i need try to finish paying of the house this year so i need to just fix what i have now to get me by hahahahahaha...

I have big plans next year!

I was reading back through everything i posted and realized i didnt mention that i only get kr a few seconds AFTER i let off throttle and it hits idle... im getting 6-8 KR at idle after trying WOT....

It sounds kinda like a 2 step......

Old 02-10-2013, 10:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had this same exact problem with my rear mount turbo, sounded like a 2 step andwould rev past 3500. i couldnt for the life of me figure it out until i checked all my piping and everything and it was a boost leak and the the MAF wasn't receiving any of the boost that the turbo built so it was sucking air from the IC and it was turned for boost so it went to hell until i tightened all the clamps and hoses. i know its a noob thing but check your hoses and your MAF, when we first put the turbo on it was 2AM we were tired and i left 2 rags in the IC and it got stuck on the MAF blocking anything from going into the intake. or like everyone suggested it could be the turbo lol
Old 02-10-2013, 11:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you've removed the intake on this engine, did you put in new gaskets? A leaking intake will cause the serious issues.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:13 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Z28Dave
i had this same exact problem with my rear mount turbo, sounded like a 2 step andwould rev past 3500. i couldnt for the life of me figure it out until i checked all my piping and everything and it was a boost leak and the the MAF wasn't receiving any of the boost that the turbo built so it was sucking air from the IC and it was turned for boost so it went to hell until i tightened all the clamps and hoses. i know its a noob thing but check your hoses and your MAF, when we first put the turbo on it was 2AM we were tired and i left 2 rags in the IC and it got stuck on the MAF blocking anything from going into the intake. or like everyone suggested it could be the turbo lol
Thanks for the advice, im open ears to everything at this point....

I dont run a MAF just a MAP (SD tune)......

picking up a new turbo tomorrow....

and a new sensor for my wideband, just to double check afrs....

gonna get this thing figured out eventually hahahahahaha....
Old 02-10-2013, 11:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

did u not check the turbo by spinning it by hand?
Old 02-12-2013, 12:57 AM
On The Tree

yes turbo spins freely, very little end play, no bent fins, and no oil blowing by that i can tell... so im thinking turbo is fine.

I pulled the intake today, its not cracked and dont see any place for leaks... I did notice the gaskets arent in the best shape so im going to install new ones...

Ill keep updated with what i find out...
Old 02-12-2013, 01:22 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hellbents10
Do a compression and leak down first thing. Was the first 5.3l pulled apart and the gaps set too tight? If it was a stock engine with stock rings the tune up killed it not the ring gap.

Put a fresh set of plugs in it or bead blast them, make a pull and shut it down and pull them. You might be able to pin point the cylinder(s) with the problem at least. This is almost impossible to do on old plugs.
Thank you! I hate seeing so many people blame the ring gap when its the tune up that killed a motor!
Old 02-12-2013, 09:48 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by skinnies
Thank you! I hate seeing so many people blame the ring gap when its the tune up that killed a motor!
lol the ring gap was 14 on #7 and 21-22 on all the others.....

maybee it was maybee it wasnt.... just seems strange gap was so small, there was detonation in the cylinders i wont deny it (see below)... probalby a combination of detonation and smaller ring gap on that cylinder...

Ive boost a few 5.3/4.8 with more boost and never had the issue...... although ive never pushed one as hard as you lol

I found the problem!!!!!! I replaced the Intake gaskets and got a new NTK sensor for the wideband.... turns out that the F8CKing NTK sensor i just bought a few months ago took a crap...

so now im on to tuning!

Thanks for all the help everyone!

Quick Reply: Help me solve this problem.....