Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

68 "GTTO" 5.3l Twin Turbo Build with 58mm Garretts

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 02:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finally a few updates, been awhile since i posted anything.

Currently working on cold side piping, gotta put my 5.3l (im using) back together just honed out the cylinders and bearings and everything look great. Gonna finish cleaning things up and gap the rings. And throw em back in and "runn'r".

Here's a few updates from my last post:
Waste Gates are in!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/53213762/Car...0wastegate.jpg

Finished up my Power steering bracket -

Intercooler is in place

Since the outlets of the intercooler are so close to the turbos ... with a series of bends that i havent want to even try yet, mounting blow off valves between the intercooler and turbo will be a nightmare. So i tried another approach. And i have room to mount the BOV in front of the intercooler. So this is the way im leaning, but havent finalized anything.

Radiator brackets i made to move it forward and down... so i have room for the intercooler and pipe going to my carb.

Hotside is getting all pulled off tonight. Going to the tig welder tomorrow. Should have it all back early next week. I can check fitment and then start focusing on engine and try to finish the cold side.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:34 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by PontiacPOWA
It hangs approximately ~2 inches below the crossmember. This looks like a better alternative even if i need to do a little trimming. I'm trying not to have to spend like 400 bucks on a holley pan. You should be fine ground clearance wise. Thanks for the pics
Figure out your oil pan situation yet? i still havent crawled under there to take more pics. but i can try if you need em. I shoud take a pick of my cross-member to pan relationship. Although not sure if my custom mounts would be the same height as yours.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Looks good. Maybe this has been answered, but what are your power goals?
I'm interested in your turbo choice. any more info on those?
Thanks,
Kory
Old 03-14-2013, 09:07 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Kory 88Iroc Lt1
Looks good. Maybe this has been answered, but what are your power goals?
I'm interested in your turbo choice. any more info on those?
Thanks,
Kory
Well eventually my power goals will be a bit higher than where i will be this summer. The Twin 58's i wanted after consulting with a few compressor maps.
Here are a few details:

2x GARRETT T31/T04B 70 trim (58mm) 0.82 A/R (4 bolts DP)
The impellers are T04B 70 trim and they measure 58.4 mm x 70 mm they flow 500 HP each.

My GOAL is 700-750 this summer....But i didnt want to cut my ***** off, and eventually would push this up to where these things scream. 900-1000ish.. idk. maybe.

This first 5.3l Build i would like to last ... however the mindset is "junkyard" build with some nice bolt ons that i can re-use when i build a better bottom end... if ever. I have a "spare LS" right now im using as a mock up motor. Once i get bored and feel like building it up for a backup...i plan to.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hope you get some new "GTTO" custom badges made
Old 03-14-2013, 11:15 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
Hope you get some new "GTTO" custom badges made

Yep!! planning on it.
Old 03-15-2013, 05:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The build looks good, I like the twin turbo Idea. I am looking at running twins with my 6.0. My only concern is the built up heat from all the hot parts. You have anything planned on how to get around it.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:05 PM
Teching In

I don't think he will have too much problem with underhood heat. I think he's planning on getting the hot side coated including the turbo exhaust housings which should help out quite a bit. Being such a large engine bay I wouldn't think it would be too much of an issue.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:26 PM
Teching In

Updates????
Old 04-11-2013, 02:41 PM
Teching In

Ok so its been awhile!! Got a bunch of stuff done.

Trans is all wrapped up with the help of my buddy Ryan!, with a upgrade kit from Dana at Pro Built Automatics! So hopefully that holds this years goals of 700-750 ish. I really hate throwing numbers out, but whatever. lol

Figured out my turbo to intercooler piping.. much more simple.

Assembled the 5.3l:

Fresh hone & new rings with proper F.I. gaping.

Went with the Edelbrock 2215 Cam 220/224 @ 50 111 LSA

All Painted up... well first coat. (Part of my reason with the silver, is according to most the ceramic shops around here, they will only recommend black coating to withstand turbo temps. So i thought i'd try it... Also im probably going to used some VHT Header paint good to 2k.. .for starters. I still need to make sure these dont leak before i spend the $$$$ on coating.

Frame notch before i cleaned it up.

Last weekend i wired up my MSD box... finished my frame notch, painted my motor mounts, tons of little stuff.

Hopefully post some more pics soon, im leaving for a Tour with the band for a few weeks on Sat, and hopefully getting the motor and trans in the car before then. (fingers crossed)

If any of you guys are in the middle states come on out, talk shop, we are hitting a few states on this run!

Shameless plug..

The tour we are on.

https://www.facebook.com/events/5320..._mall_activity

https://www.facebook.com/throwthefight
Old 05-08-2013, 04:53 AM
TECH Regular

Looks great man! Curious what you opened your ring gaps up to on the top and second ring? Also, what is the PN on thr turbos you have? Having a hard time finding them on the web, who did you consult on your turbo choice? I ask because I found a local pair and cant decide if they will work out well for my build or not (5.3).
Old 05-08-2013, 09:49 AM
8 Second Club

Received 700 Likes on 441 Posts

We like GTO's.
I'm also from the chevelle.com site.
Did you replace the rod bolts?

Ron
Old 05-10-2013, 10:30 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by schmendog
Looks great man! Curious what you opened your ring gaps up to on the top and second ring? Also, what is the PN on thr turbos you have? Having a hard time finding them on the web, who did you consult on your turbo choice? I ask because I found a local pair and cant decide if they will work out well for my build or not (5.3).
Hey thanks, i opened the gaps 25 / 28 ISH... Man that molly top ring was tough... i spent prob 3 hours filing rings. (Well not the whole time)

The part numbers im not entirely sure.. they did swap out the exhaust housing to a 4 bolt style for me.. so these came with the goofy wide 5 bolt patern flange.

I talked to Blaast performance... they do a bunch of remanufactured rebuilt stuff but they also deal with new. So these were actually new. I think comes with a year warranty aswell.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:34 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RonSSNova
We like GTO's.
I'm also from the chevelle.com site.
Did you replace the rod bolts?

Ron
I didnt replace rod bolts. My goal was junkyard build... at first, work out the bugs then keep safely cranking up the boost...as im comfortable with my tuning.
However that turned into a slight "runaway rebuild" almost. Stock bottom end, with new rings, and fresh cross hatch hone.
I have another 5.3l (i used for my mock up motor) , i want to strip down and build that lower end up a bit more. And have it sit in the corner oil'ed and bagged ... as my "Back up".
Old 05-10-2013, 10:46 AM
Teching In

Few Pics of the completed 5.3l and built 700r4 with Dana's kit from Probuilt Automatic's

Oil drain / Balancer clearance

Old 06-11-2013, 06:44 PM
On The Tree

Should the intercooler be mounted up so close to the radiator? This will be my first turbo setup and it just seems like there is a lot of air flow restriction up there.

My setup is very similar. I'm looking at the same intercooler, then I have a vintage air condenser, then LS1 radiator, then Ls1 fans.

Is it advisable to mount them up all together as shown above?

Thanks.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:42 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by nlpy8b
Should the intercooler be mounted up so close to the radiator? This will be my first turbo setup and it just seems like there is a lot of air flow restriction up there.

My setup is very similar. I'm looking at the same intercooler, then I have a vintage air condenser, then LS1 radiator, then Ls1 fans.

Is it advisable to mount them up all together as shown above?

Thanks.

Just to answer your question. I think as long as you have some gap, and you shroud everything well or direct air up in there. You should be good.
I have had zero cooling issues this year.

With those LT1 or LS1 Fans its amazing. Currently i have one fan on manual mode...and another on "auto". The auto one never came on, due to a faulty temp switch or temp switch location. This whole summer of tuning and cruising i have had one fan working. And that keeps it right at the thermostat.

Also i did make an air damn and cut out sections of the front lower valance. (this era 68-69 GTO has such a restricted front end for air flow)
Old 07-24-2013, 09:27 AM
Teching In

I've been super lazy getting on here and posting.. But the car has been on the road for most of the summer...with small bugs being worked out. And tuning!! ha

Here are some pics i hadnt shared yet!

The pulley setup is working great! 97 LeSabre Pump/reservoir and 5.3l truck alt.

My Twin Walbro 255 "IN-Fuel Cell" Set up. I made a sender mount to hold the pumps down in the 2" sump of the fuel cell. Here are some pictures. I used a Racetronix wire bulkhead that came with teflon coated wires for in-tank and pvc coated for out of tank. Its leak and vapor proof and is a quality piece! (2nd pump comes on with the adjustable hobbs switch -small green LED next to my boost gauge comes on when second pump comes on) Also used the air fitting block from the local HDepot for the pumps up to a single 8an bulkhead. Return line from the regulator just drops back in the top of the fuel cell into an exsisting port.

Here are the pics, these are still in mockup mode so arent all cleaned up. Everything has been working great with the fuel delivery!

Here are a few others. I made a top radiator mount and have the air pipe coming out of that. I was having problems fitting the carb hats facing forward over the bowl adjustment screw. I am on my third carb hat. I now have a low profile spectre... for hood clearance.

Here is the valance i cut out for airflow with the air dam underneath.

More to come!
Also I didnt even talk about my brake drama!! Short story.....my chrome dual diaphram 7" booster was worthless... and tried a couple masters with that... still horrible. Went to a manual master from an 82 dodge omni ..(as suggested by Tobin from Kore3) I can lock these brakes up going 45-50mph....( i havent tried much faster) but the pedal feels amazing with the C5 front brakes and LS1 rears. I had to make my own rod setup for my pedal but Thats the short story... and it was a frustrating battle.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:20 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks good man. Congratz on getting it on the road
Old 08-07-2013, 12:53 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by GTTO

Also i did make an air damn and cut out sections of the front lower valance. (this era 68-69 GTO has such a restricted front end for air flow)
Air "damn" haha those damn air damns I tell ya...... How does the boost come on? Do they spool quick or what?
I sense there are still some stories you are leaving out of this thread......haha

Quick Reply: 68 "GTTO" 5.3l Twin Turbo Build with 58mm Garretts