TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ Just ordered a set myself thanks!
Old 01-31-2014, 12:02 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by a-low
^ Just ordered a set myself thanks!
No problem sir...that's what this site is all about! In between D-measuring competitions we actually share some useful info! Hahaha.
Old 01-31-2014, 06:51 PM
Teching In

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default trans fittings

Hey Dave,
Sweet car. Got a 88 cutlass myself. I did a 6.0l p/4l80 swap. For the trans fittings, I took the original fittings, ground off where the clip is. Then screwed in the trans WITH the o rings. Went to the farm store and got 2 90 degree JIC fitting. Cut one side off. With the fittings tight in the trans, figured the direction I wanted and marked them. Then just welded them. It gave me a lot more tunnel clearance. I originally bought the fittings you have along with swivel AN 90s. I had 50 bucks into that set up. The new welded set up cost me 8 bucks, 4 dollars for each fitting.
Attached Thumbnails '84 Cutlass JY5.3, Custom Tick Cam, S400SX4-75, 4L80e, 3.73s, 27 inch MT's-transfitting.jpg  
Old 01-31-2014, 08:53 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by RB440MIKE
Hey Dave,
Sweet car. Got a 88 cutlass myself. I did a 6.0l p/4l80 swap.
Out of curiosity since I will be there really soon, how did the trans fit in the tunnel otherwise? Also, what did you end up using for engine/trans mounts and trans crossmember?
Old 02-01-2014, 06:09 AM
Teching In

Default tunnel clearance

Hey Dave,
Tunnel clearance was not a problem except for the cooler lines. That is why I modded the fittings. I could have probably used the AN fittings and swivel 90s but I think I only had half inch of clearance. For the cross member, I made one very similar to a g-force one. Its made out of 2x3 steel.
Old 02-01-2014, 06:32 AM
Teching In

Default engine mouts

For the engine mounts, I cut a piece of steel the size of the 4 engine mount bolts, drilled it and bolted it on the engine. I then set the motor and trans in the car exactly where I wanted it. The position was driven mainly by the headers. I then cut the original engine mount to fit the plate bolted to the engine and welded them together. I basically cut the engine side of the mount to fit, cut off where the 3 engine mt bolts are. This allowed me to put the engine exactly where I wanted it. I did have to trim the k member slightly for the oil pan. My engine placement was almost completely determined by the headers for clearance though. If I only would have turbo'd it the mounting would have been easier. Way cheaper than buying after market motor plates and the engine is exactly where you want it.
Old 02-01-2014, 01:45 PM
TECH Resident

Good write up, Mike...thanks! I am using the Moroso solid engine mounts and modifying a really early Gforce performance crossmember to get the job done.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:40 AM
TECH Resident

Update time! With the little guy and a lot of time at work, time to work on the car is slow but finally making some real progress!

Engine and trans are in! Installed them yesterday and will start work on modifying the trans crossmember that was in there - very early production G-Force Performance. Should be able to make something work on the cheap with my scrap metal supplies in my garage.

Had a bit of trouble getting the converter installed on the '80e and came to find out that is nothing new, especially with the billet aftermarkets. Had a gap I could not get rid of thinking the converter would not install all the way, but a few light taps with the rubber mallet and all was right with the world again. Only bitch is that I have an ATI SFI flexplate from the glide set-up I was going to do...turns out only 3 of the 6 converter bolts line up but that really doesn't bother me because 1400 horse motors that I am intimately aware of are only using 3 on a smaller bolt circle.

Anyways, cleaning out the garage some more today to get ready for the friggin snow tonight and tomorrow and will start working on the turbo kit and crossmember.

Enjoy!
Dave

Converter filled with Hygard Low Vis

Flexplate and spacer used

Engine and tranny mated

Droppin' it home...

Me looking like a moron...lol

Installed

More pics to come today fosho!
Old 03-02-2014, 09:57 PM
TECH Resident

Today's update...

Originally tried to do the low-swept forward-facing turbo kit...too damn close to the plastic cover for the steering coupler.

So.........I went back to my original design with the C6 manifolds as the basis and started working on the driver's side. Transitioning down to 2.25" crossover pipes. Finally got my MIG working reasonably well tonight. Not sure WTF my buddy was doing with it but it would not weld worth a damn the last time I tried using it.

Went out and purchased a new toy this weekend in anticipation of the next huge snow storm....a little nervous now because the storm keeps pushing south and we may not get barely anything. Normally I would be thrilled but I spent WAY too much on this thing...lol

More to come tomorrow...still planning to take off from work...even if there is less snow than expected!!!
Old 03-04-2014, 08:38 PM
TECH Resident

Well, we barely got any snow in my area so I feel like a horse's *** for buying the snowblower but you better believe I used it for the entire two inches of snow we got...haha.

As far as the Cutlass, continued work on the hotside and am pretty satisfied with the progress thus far. Started on the T6 flange interfacial pieces and worked towards the drivers side. I will probably be able to finish the crossover from the driver's side by tomorrow. The passenger side is going to take more work since I have to be more careful to leave enough space for the WG flange.

Enjoy!!!

And finally I will be adding one of these to each side of the system.

Thanks guys! More to come tomorrow!!
Dave
Old 03-04-2014, 09:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sub'd. Got an L33 and 80% of turbo parts sitting in extra bedroom, wife loves it! I'll be waiting to start mine till this coming fall because of lake season though. Really interested in seeing how you like that cam..
Old 03-04-2014, 09:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

do you live up north? that snowblower could really come in handy here in Wisconsin.
Old 03-05-2014, 05:30 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by T76s10
do you live up north? that snowblower could really come in handy here in Wisconsin.
New Jersey actually...lolol.

We have had close to 70 inches of snow this winter and from my weight lifting days I had bulged a disk...funny now how a some extra weight around the waste and hand shoveling 12 inches of wet *** snow will irritate it again.

Well...they talked like the other day's snow was going to be like all the others so I said the hell with it and got a monster. Well dammit....I still used it on the 2 inches we did get...lolol...and I did everyone else's property on my block - driveways, sidewalks and around the corner....both sides!!!

If I'm paying for this bastid, Imma gonna use it!
Old 03-07-2014, 05:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BanditDave
New Jersey actually...lolol.

We have had close to 70 inches of snow this winter and from my weight lifting days I had bulged a disk...funny now how a some extra weight around the waste and hand shoveling 12 inches of wet *** snow will irritate it again.

Well...they talked like the other day's snow was going to be like all the others so I said the hell with it and got a monster. Well dammit....I still used it on the 2 inches we did get...lolol...and I did everyone else's property on my block - driveways, sidewalks and around the corner....both sides!!!

If I'm paying for this bastid, Imma gonna use it!
the wet stuff is the worst. cant snow blow it because its to heavy and clogs and then you gotta shovel and throw 40lb loads. you guys out east are getting pounded this winter. its just cold as **** here haha we havent had too many snow storms
Old 03-07-2014, 06:50 PM
On The Tree

so this is 2.25 pipe going into the t6 flange? sorry if I missed it. how do you plan to weld the 2 separate pipes to the flange? from the inside? mig or tig? looks like the 2.25 fits the holes nicely? nice build man
Old 03-07-2014, 07:07 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by chevyrules85
so this is 2.25 pipe going into the t6 flange? sorry if I missed it. how do you plan to weld the 2 separate pipes to the flange? from the inside? mig or tig? looks like the 2.25 fits the holes nicely? nice build man
Yep, 2.25" diameter mild steel tubing into a T6 flange. It will be a mixture of internal and external MIG welding since the corners are a little far from the inside edges of the T6 openings. I just shape them in my vice and work them in the flange to fit. Should be welding it up soon...probably this weekend at some point. I have some else coming tomorrow that is taking the empty bay in my garage! More to come on that....

I'll make sure I document the final fab of the flange closely...
Old 03-07-2014, 08:10 PM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 120 Likes on 89 Posts

NJ and complaining about snow?? Cmon now

Where in jerz?
Old 03-07-2014, 09:45 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BanditDave
Yep, 2.25" diameter mild steel tubing into a T6 flange. It will be a mixture of internal and external MIG welding since the corners are a little far from the inside edges of the T6 openings. I just shape them in my vice and work them in the flange to fit. Should be welding it up soon...probably this weekend at some point. I have some else coming tomorrow that is taking the empty bay in my garage! More to come on that....

I'll make sure I document the final fab of the flange closely...
thank you!
Old 03-08-2014, 10:40 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Shownomercy
NJ and complaining about snow?? Cmon now

Where in jerz?
I'm just over the Delaware River from Philly in Palmyra.

Originally Posted by chevyrules85
thank you!
No problem...always want to help folks learn from my screw-ups because we won't live long enough to make them all ourselves! Lol
Old 03-08-2014, 10:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 593 Likes on 471 Posts

Is the John Deere fluid a old school trick? Never heard of it before. If you mentioned it before, my bad.

Quick Reply: '84 Cutlass JY5.3, Custom Tick Cam, S400SX4-75, 4L80e, 3.73s, 27 inch MT's