Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Anyone thinking about getting a ON3 turbo? SAVE YOUR MONEY AND DON'T!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 08:22 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JAX04
You are crying about quality on a 300 dollar turbo?

you have to understand, you are getting what you pay for, some people have fantastic luck, some dont. Its a gamble imo. Not knocking On3 here, but you have to understand, that a 300 dollar turbo is not going to be some top notch quality. The simple fact that he does not warranty them is why i choose not to use them.

Believe me, i considered it for a long while, even spoke to them a few times. I just choose to go with something ive used before that i knew was great.
Well put..... I've contemplated these turbos also. But it's a gamble that i'm not looking to take. It's still $324 that could be wasted if I get a bad turbo.....

I do agree that if the oil feed/drains aren't sufficient, that no turbo will last though. Whether it be a $300 turbo or a $2000 turbo, it don't make much difference..... I would make sure the oiling system was up to spec before trashing any company...... Maybe you should have tried to contact the company before posting on here and try to get the issue resolved????

Again, you gotta know that cheap in the game of going fast isn't always going to work out...... It's a gamble that works for some and not others....
Old 02-18-2013, 09:22 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 1fast bird
Whether it be a $300 turbo or a $2000 turbo, it don't make much difference..... I would make sure the oiling system was up to spec before trashing any company...... Maybe you should have tried to contact the company before posting on here and try to get the issue resolved????
So true. I've had two Precision turbos that eventually worked great, but the OP of this thread would have said they had blown seals and thrown a fit. Maybe it would have been the appropriate response after spending all of that money, but it wouldn't have gotten an love from Precision. The difference with Precision is that the buyer has spent so much more money that they assume they bought quality, and thus put forth the effort to make it work.

Interestingly, after working unsuccessfully with Precision for a long time to get the oil burning under control, I finally did what the vendor said and put in a .070" restrictor. Precision themselves adamantly refused to consider a restrictor, and finally wanted me to send the turbo in for "free" work. From what others have posted up, that usually would mean that they would claim I caused oil starvation and charge me about $500, when all I really needed in the end was a little restrictor to go with my properly sloped -10 drain system...

Maybe Garrett and Borg Warner are true quality..... For now I'm going to play with cheap Chinese turbos because they are cheap and the success rate seems similar to what I had before.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah definitly check your oiling system. I've run into issues on turbonetics turbo's getting to much oil and blamed it on other things. Check your drain and pressure its not a big deal to get it fixed if that's what's wrong.. Its man made stuff happens. Welcome to the world of hot rodding.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Z28Dave
i just ripped apart my turbo and found the seal blown, dont open your mouth before you dont read the whole story, maybe you didn't read the part were i was tearing down the turbo to find the problem. if so let me qoute it for you in big cap locked letters so you can read. and once i took it apart there were gashes and grind marks all over the place.

dont get mad at me because i'm calling them out on there low quality parts if they want a good name then i suggest they make each and every turbo to the standard and not half *** piece one together with defective parts

i'll post up pics in a few so you can keep your mouth shut and learn to speak when you have the correct information.
First let me say.

I'm not a big ON3 turbo fan, but it does sound like the OP jumped the gun, with the bashing.

Are the grind marks, and gashes just where the turbo has been balanced?
Which seal is "blown" they are mostly metal seals(like a piston ring) in a turbo, and I can't see how one can be blown???

Leaking maybe(from too much oil pressure), but you can't blow a metal seal, like a rubber seal.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:49 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Where are the pics?
Old 02-18-2013, 04:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HRHohio
Where are the pics?
He probably realized he's a dumb ***
Old 02-18-2013, 06:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 116 Likes on 95 Posts

huh.... all i gotta say on that
Old 02-18-2013, 06:20 PM
On The Tree

My On3 turbo works great. No problems yet.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

I posted the pics for those of you that can't see I will link them, I had my car at a shop and there is nothing wrong with my feed and drain I'm using all the right fittings 4AN for the feed and 10AN for the return.

And wouldn't any of you be mad wasting money as such? I bought the turbo because I saw they were a sponsor on the Tech, but it is true I get what I paid for. I bought a 300 dollar turbo and I got a 300 dollar defective turbo
Old 02-18-2013, 08:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Old 02-18-2013, 08:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Old 02-18-2013, 08:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

I put my older Garrett turbo back on and it works like a champ
Old 02-18-2013, 08:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Not being an *** but why did you take off a Garrett turbo to replace with a On3?? Makes no sense unless it was a tiny garrett
Old 02-18-2013, 08:18 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What size oil restrictor are you running with the on3 turbo ?
Old 02-18-2013, 08:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sometimes you get a bad egg in a dozen, even with "high end" turbos it's a possibility. For the price, you can replace these On3's more frequently and for cheaper than servicing a high end one. Disposable's if you will. i.e. Plastic forks vs. fine silverware. Sorry to hear that you got a bad egg. I've had mine on for over a year without issue. Best of luck.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:27 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Z28Dave
I posted the pics for those of you that can't see I will link them, I had my car at a shop and there is nothing wrong with my feed and drain I'm using all the right fittings 4AN for the feed and 10AN for the return.

And wouldn't any of you be mad wasting money as such? I bought the turbo because I saw they were a sponsor on the Tech, but it is true I get what I paid for. I bought a 300 dollar turbo and I got a 300 dollar defective turbo
My point is, don't bash a company before giving them a chance to resolve an issue......
Old 02-18-2013, 08:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Texhotrod593
Not being an *** but why did you take off a Garrett turbo to replace with a On3?? Makes no sense unless it was a tiny garrett
the garrett turbo was years old, smaller (.60/.96) and was used on other setups. it was only used for a mocking up and to use a a margin to see where the car would be at. dont get me wrong the beat up old garrett is pulling its fair share but it is going out if not then i wouldve never replaced it.

it was my bad luck of the bunch but first impressions last impressions, i'll be going with a different company and perhaps a different setup as a front mount turbo
Old 02-18-2013, 09:54 PM
TECH Resident

If you're thinking that those machining marks on the backs of the wheels are random mistakes, I'd think that they are probably for balancing instead. As far as that seal, what is going on there?
Old 02-19-2013, 08:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Tjabo
If you're thinking that those machining marks on the backs of the wheels are random mistakes, I'd think that they are probably for balancing instead. As far as that seal, what is going on there?
those machining marks were not present when i first initially received the turbo. I took it to a shop and had in pre-inspected in front of me to make sure it was good to go. when i tore it down i found little chunks of shrapnel behind the compressor wheel, as for the seal i have no clue, i took apart my garrett to make sure everything was "correct" and i found that seal jack knifed to the next groove. so if it was my guess that is where it went wrong at first. my **** of the luck to get the bad apple but you win some you lose some.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Or you guys screwed up putting it back together. I doubt it was like that when you received it. Maybe you should of ran it instead of pulling it apart while it was brand new.

Quick Reply: Anyone thinking about getting a ON3 turbo? SAVE YOUR MONEY AND DON'T!!!