Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Anyone thinking about getting a ON3 turbo? SAVE YOUR MONEY AND DON'T!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 10:16 AM
gpr
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pretty sure on3 has a 30 day warranty. If it was me I'd at least call chad up and talk to him about it. I bet if you sent it back to him he would fix it for ya.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gpr
Pretty sure on3 has a 30 day warranty. If it was me I'd at least call chad up and talk to him about it. I bet if you sent it back to him he would fix it for ya.
I agree. people always jump to conclusions before they realize what actually is wrong . i've been blamed for things that I didn't even touch it. Just part of dealing with the public and part of working on cars. I put a water pump on one time and the guy come back and said that I messed his horn up. I'll never forget that.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

My On3 has been a beast so far. I've beaten on it 9-17lbs of boost with no issues to date.

OP, post up a pic of your turbo location or let us know where you have it mounted. Scavenger pump may be needed.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:07 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Wicked69
Or you guys screwed up putting it back together. I doubt it was like that when you received it. Maybe you should of ran it instead of pulling it apart while it was brand new.
No kidding^^!

So OP, you really think that those milling marks on the back of the compressor wheel just appeared there from running the turbo?

I'm not the smartest guy, how would that happen? Anyone?

If I were you, OP, I would throw some new seals in there and run that sucker, especially if you marked everything before you took it apart so you can get it back together as it was balanced. No reason to throw bad money after good..... or however that goes...

As far as the warranty, I certainly wouldn't expect the turbo to be warrantied when it was disassembled before you even ran it. I just don't think that's reasonable to expect them to warranty the item in that circumstance.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My question is why in the world do u have a -10 for oil return on a rearmount????
Is Sun shine perfromance working on your car outta killeen? If so you need to take it to Lethal Performance in San an.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh and far as the on3 turbo I had one fail due to extreme back pressure, and a ton of boost. since it was fix 1 years ago its still running strong. On3 is a good company to deal with but comp turbo on the other hand........
Old 02-20-2013, 03:45 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Z28Dave
Yeah, that's pretty baffling that those marks could have come from just running the turbo. Are you sure that they weren't there when you took it apart the first time, but showed up after the oil seal failed?
Old 02-20-2013, 03:55 PM
TECH Resident

those machining marks were not present when i first initially received the turbo. I took it to a shop and had in pre-inspected in front of me to make sure it was good to go. when i tore it down i found little chunks of shrapnel behind the compressor wheel, as for the seal i have no clue, i took apart my garrett to make sure everything was "correct" and i found that seal jack knifed to the next groove. so if it was my guess that is where it went wrong at first. my **** of the luck to get the bad apple but you win some you lose some.
If that seal was jack knifed into the next groove and you still made 5psi boost, I would think that the whole turbo would have had a catastrophic failure. I mean, that thing would have to be spinning at 20-30,000 rpm to get you to 5 psi boost. I'm just spitballin here, but if the seal was jacked when that was happening, A) you surely wouldn't have boost (5psi at that), and B) there would be a lot more catastrophic carnage than just a jack knifed seal. <Scratches head> Something doesn't seem right.
Old 02-20-2013, 03:55 PM
TECH Resident

Someone hid an end mill in his turbo? Lol....
Old 02-20-2013, 04:30 PM
9 Second Club

I say disregard this whole thread. Don't tell everyone it's a "brand new out of box turbo" when you had it taken apart before installing. It sounds to me like you may have had it put back together wrong..... Just sayin'

This is the kind of stuff that ruins reputations of companies. Just one guy can spew garbage on the internet and it spreads fast. Instead of starting a thread like this, you should've called ON3 and talked with them first. More than likely they would have told you to send it back.....not sure about that now since you tore it apart twice and making a B.S. thread like this??????
Old 02-20-2013, 09:12 PM
TECH Regular

Yup. I agree with all the above posts. I clocked mine, slapped it on...and made 700rwhp. Soon to be more now that my meth kits hooked up.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:24 PM
Launching!

those machining marks were not present when i first initially received the turbo. I took it to a shop and had in pre-inspected in front of me to make sure it was good to go. when i tore it down i found little chunks of shrapnel behind the compressor wheel, as for the seal i have no clue, i took apart my garrett to make sure everything was "correct" and i found that seal jack knifed to the next groove. so if it was my guess that is where it went wrong at first. my **** of the luck to get the bad apple but you win some you lose some.
You sir are a ******* Idiot if you think the Machining marks milled into the wheel for balancing were caused from anything else. They were already their. Good day
Old 02-21-2013, 12:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

weird this one has the same marks...lol

Old 02-21-2013, 12:25 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Twin turbo c5
I agree. people always jump to conclusions before they realize what actually is wrong . i've been blamed for things that I didn't even touch it. Just part of dealing with the public and part of working on cars. I put a water pump on one time and the guy come back and said that I messed his horn up. I'll never forget that.
....this

I put a motor in a guys car one time. When he came to pick the car up 45 days after he was notified it was finished, he wanted me to replace his left rear tire because "it wasn't flat" when he dropped the car off!
Old 02-21-2013, 12:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 116 Likes on 95 Posts

those are definitly machined into place. you can see the tooling marks in it. its too uniformed to be random. if a piece of debree was to finds its way in there, there would be chucks of random bits of metal with alot more damage then what your telling us. im wondering if the other guy that had a siezing wheel had a crossed oil ring as well. i dont know. cant get any good answers out of anyone because people are taking them apart before they are ran or dont send it in to be diagnosed as to what the actual problem is.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:32 PM
Teching In

easy to see that those are the result of milling, not interference or debris.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Screamin'04
easy to see that those are the result of milling, not interference or debris.
I agree. Im sure he's learned a lessen not to jump to a conclusion so fast now. I understand it gets aggravating sometimes when your chasing a problem. but I wouldn't have gone so far as to post a thread that said don't buy from them. just my thoughts
Old 02-21-2013, 01:20 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by lsxmalibu
weird this one has the same marks...lol

Yeah, I heard that this one was leaking oil too! Damn these Chinese Turbos! Makes me want to save up $1800 and get a GOOD turbo!

Quick Reply: Anyone thinking about getting a ON3 turbo? SAVE YOUR MONEY AND DON'T!!!