Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

HP Tuners.... How hard to learn, Should I go this route?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 10:32 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

and get the hptuners PRO, so that you get the MPVI controler that allows you too datalog your wideband with HPtuners. Makes life realllll easy.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:25 AM
8 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ya and the pro you can do standalone logging which is cool
Old 02-19-2013, 11:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

pro is good if your going to be bouncing between a bunch of different setups. but if your going to be doing only your car, just hard wire the WB into a EGR wire and save the extra money. I've owned both so i'm talking from experience. some cars i'll upgrade to have RTT (real time tuning) so having your laptop on you is needed. having someone drive while your playing with tables in the passenger seat saves time vs data logging, downloading the info, adjusting, and uploading again.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its not rocket science, but understanding when the engine is in what mode helps you to develop the skills necessary to make changes in the tune. I have learned a lot from here and also the forum on hp tuners. I have invested hours upon hours of reading and looking at other tunes to compare what my tune is and why its doing this or that. A n/a tune is much easier as mentioned, and a good place to start before you dive into a turbo car. Idle is where I always start, then part throttle driveability. These two usually take the most time and effort to get right. Full throttle is usually easy. A couple of pulls and timing and fueling are easily tweaked. Its the driveability part that most people pass over because it requires the most time. Start slow, make a few small changes and go from there. Like mentioned, a turbo car needs a very conservative tune to start with. Low timing and rich afr then go from there. Good luck and don't be afraid to ask a million questions.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by User-c3
I am about ready to get into my tuning. I started calling around local shops for numbers on Dyno tuning. I have gotten prices from $700 to $1100. When I can get the Hp tuners pro package for $650 and be able to have the capability to it just makes the most sense.
From people who have the knowledge, how hard will it be for me to learn this software and get a solid tune done on my car? I have heard of people downloading base tunes to get started and get the car on the road. Are these readily available, and are they through the HP tuners site?
Some input would be great.
I dont know a whole lot about tuning right now, but I pick things up very fast.
Should I go this route?
Anyone in the detroit area willing to help out?
Go for it. HANDS down the best investment I have made thus far and I have been in the EFI world for a long time. Paid for tunes numerous times and either shop closed down or was FAR away blah blah.

Only extra expense I occured tuning on my own has been maybe 3 sets of plugs and a few oil changes. Nothing feels better than to log your drive/wot pulls and make adjustments as needed. OLSD+Wideband=Success

Quick Reply: HP Tuners.... How hard to learn, Should I go this route?