Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Lets Talk Under Hood Temps

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 01:51 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Lets Talk Under Hood Temps

So we all know different ways to cut down temps, but what has been the most successful for you guys? I started out with a turbo blanket and swaintech coating and although its a nice coating I found it to still keep temps rather hot under the hood and my plastic wire looms where showing deformation even if they were a few inches away from the hotside. The coating also browned after a while and looked terrible. It was kinda nice to determine where the hottest exhaust gasses were building up at.

Here is how it looked going together.

I wrapped them with DEI titanium wrap and that helped out a ton. I thought it looked better wrapped anyway considering the coating turned to crap.

The combination of the wrap, blanket and coating seemed to keep under hood temps limited. I had issues with IAT and think they were more related to the small filter I had on the turbo as they would scream up during a pull. With the filter off the temps would rise but not as drastically. We built a CAI off of the compressor and dropped it down beneath the passenger headlight area in the bumper and put a much larger filter on it. Logs showed it wasn't screaming up in IAT and temps were better. Don't have a fair back to back comparison but it did seem to help and keep away from drawing up hotter under hood air.

The latest thing we did was to help channel air through the engine bay. I am not one for after market hoods and such, but since I never felt comfortable with the stock hood latch relocation we did we ultimately decided to pin/latch the hood. I didn't want to cut up a perfectly good stock ws6 hood so I bought one from VFN that looks alright. It's their WSQ hood and working with them they said I could have the optional main extractors functional that are right behind the main nostrils. By default they don't open these up.. With the position of the crossover and turbo I thought it might be ideal to have that open to draw air in and out since the vents were open right behind that area. Here is how the hood turned out.

Stock location of things

I want to hear from you guys as to what you have done to help keep temps under the hood down. Keep in mind my car is a summer daily driven car that will see the track only a couple times a year. If it were drag only I probably wouldn't have gone too extensive to keep temps down. Just trying to make the motor run happy and keep stuff from melting.
Old 03-14-2013, 02:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As you know, I mounted my rad vertical and added different pushers, but we all know it could use a little more. I'm purchasing a turbo blanket myself. Need to save up for the Derale'.s Good job on the thread. This will be most helpful for new comers....like myself. Thanks again for your help with my setup...along with a few others.
Old 03-14-2013, 02:34 PM
gpr
TECH Enthusiast

Your intake is very close to your exhaust. Wrapping or coating the top section of the intake likely wouldn't hurt anything to keep intake temps down.
Old 03-14-2013, 03:59 PM
Staging Lane

basically evertthing you did.

Old 03-14-2013, 06:28 PM
8 Second Club

Received 120 Likes on 89 Posts

Holy crap how big are the OPs up pipes?
Old 03-14-2013, 07:52 PM
12 Second Club

Does any body know if they make a vented hood for a camaro?
Old 03-14-2013, 09:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Just remove the weatherstrip on the cowl. I did that and it created a nice gap for air flow. I also added a turbo blanket and it helped a lot.
Old 03-15-2013, 02:15 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by pwrtrip75
Just remove the weatherstrip on the cowl. I did that and it created a nice gap for air flow. I also added a turbo blanket and it helped a lot.
I could see how that would help. Wonder how many people do that.
Old 03-15-2013, 02:19 PM
12 Second Club

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Blown02Camaro
Does any body know if they make a vented hood for a camaro?
I used to have a Mecham single extractor hood on my 2000 Camaro. They also make one with more but it looks a tad ricey if ya ask me

Last edited by Chocolate Apocalypse; 03-18-2013 at 02:54 PM.
Old 03-18-2013, 01:59 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by willizm
I could see how that would help. Wonder how many people do that.
I did and it helped quite a bit.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pwrtrip75
Cheap easy and works.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

run it without a hood? RoadKill style

I honestly never noticed any soaring tempuratures under the hood on mine and mine had everything in stock location including AC stuff.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:37 AM
Banned

Nice ill thread bud! BTW your car sounded mean on the dyno! Sorry I missed it but seen the vids.

To the guy asking about his crossover size its 3in....and as to te hocus pocus everyone talks about with tube size...the car blows that theory out the window lol
Old 03-20-2013, 11:04 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by TurboJoe@Straightline
Nice ill thread bud! BTW your car sounded mean on the dyno! Sorry I missed it but seen the vids.

To the guy asking about his crossover size its 3in....and as to te hocus pocus everyone talks about with tube size...the car blows that theory out the window lol
Thanks buddy I asked Nick to send me a copy of the dyno sheet since I lost mine. Will post up results here

Quick Reply: Lets Talk Under Hood Temps