Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

How to hook a High HP Drag Radial Car?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 08:44 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice man, best I have seen the car leaving yet! I have always done well on drag radials too and hopefully once I get this turbo setup tuned I can make it work on 275/60's or 325/50's!
Old 04-07-2013, 09:12 PM
6 Second Club Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wicked69
Wow! I am blow away. I did exactly as you guys said. My tires are toast and still set a new best! Full street trim which means drag radials and full exhaust, NO skinnies, etc. I made 3 passes today and each time I did better. 60fts were 1.50, 1.49, and finally 1.43. This on a 315/60 with 3.42 gears and a powerglide in a 3680lb car.

Here is a video of the last pass. Super Chevy here I come!
Sinister 6.04@114MPH - YouTube

Nice job!!
Old 04-07-2013, 09:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks. I am definitely impressed with how well the changes worked. After Super Chevy I will go back to TNT and start right where I left off. I still have alot I can do with the shock settings. I also only shifted at 6k on my passes because I was trying to only work on the launch. The 6.04 completely caught me off guard.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:41 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks. I am definitely impressed with how well the changes worked. After Super Chevy I will go back to TNT and start right where I left off. I still have alot I can do with the shock settings. I also only shifted at 6k on my passes because I was trying to only work on the launch. The 6.04 completely caught me off guard.
So what exactly did you change? Pass looks great as well. Separation looks perfect for your power level, I would leave the suspension settings alone and play with shock settings and power management from here on out.

Only thing I see that I would work on is getting a little more power in early and tightening the front end up.

I would honestly try a set of the new M/T 275 pro's for the track and run a set of 315/60 M/T's on the street.

Here are some more videos to do your homework on!

Last edited by Sales@Tick; 04-08-2013 at 05:48 PM.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

I made a pass and the rear end seperated waaay to quick. The Rear shocks were set on full stiff compr and 4 clicks from full lose on extension. So I went the other extreme and went 4 clicks from full tight on extension. I also backed the nut off on the front shocks 4 turns so I would have more travel. That pass it hooked so I left it and the next pass I dropped my air pressure from 20lbs to 18lbs and it went from 1.49 to 1.40. Didnt make any more passes because the tires had the cords showing through. I didnt know they were worn down that much.
I just purchased a new set of 275's so I hope the shorter tire will help more also. I think I can hit a 5 sec pass on my way through the 1/4 this weekend.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

I meant 1.49 to 1.43. Dang phone...
Old 04-08-2013, 07:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oh and thanks for the videos I am studying them.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:01 PM
On The Tree

With your suspention right where you want it I would go up withthe tire pressure until you start to lose ground. The car will react quicker with the most air you can run and still hook.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DHR Darren
With your suspention right where you want it I would go up withthe tire pressure until you start to lose ground. The car will react quicker with the most air you can run and still hook.
Will do. Thanks.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:44 PM
On The Tree

Will do. Thanks.
I really like your build and I will have a very similar setup. I took out a sonnys headed 525" BBC and have gone to a LQ4,L92's,Holley Hi-ram,cam & pushrod swap,all ARP,twin billet wheel 6x's,160# injectors,Holley HP EFI,4200rpm converter,Mikes 'glide and Moser 12 bolt with 4.10's (1/8 mile car)

It was a 275 drag radial car last year but now an 8.5 tire and street car.

Keep up the good work!!

Last edited by DHR Darren; 04-08-2013 at 11:28 PM.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

I really like your build and I will have a very similar setup. I took out a sonnys headed 525" BBC and have gone to a LQ4,L92's,Holley Hi-ram,cam & pushrod swap,all ARP,twin billet wheel 6x's,160# injectors,Holley HP EFI,4200rpm converter,Mikes 'glide and Moser 12 bolt with 4.10's (1/8 mile car)

It was a 275 drag radial car last year but now an 8.5 tire and street car.

Keep up the good work!!
Thanks. That sounds like it will be sick!
Old 04-09-2013, 04:34 PM
On The Tree

What rpm are you running thru the 660' clock at??
Old 04-09-2013, 05:34 PM
FormerVendor

Wicked, did you order the new M/T pro's or the older M/T radials? The new tires have a softer sidewall and like a little more air pressure than the older ones. I would start off with 20psi on your car since it is so heavy if they are the new M/T pro's. If they're the old ones I'd honestly just keep everything the same shock setting wise, tire pressure wise etc. and try it out and go from there.

If it spun with the extension 4 clicks off full loose it was from hitting the tire too hard. You did the right thing by taking it back tight like you did. What I would do personally from here on out, is keep tightening up the front extension until it spins. Then when it spins back it off just a little bit looser and hit it with more power off the line until you can tighten the front extension back up.

On the video you posted the extension of the shock and separation looked great. Perfectly controlled and the tire didn't wrinkle or ball up excessively.

Just keep taking my advice and I'll get you that 5 sec. pass I promise!
Old 04-09-2013, 10:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

What rpm are you running thru the 660' clock at??
Not sure but since I was only working suspension on this day, the 6.04 really caught me off guard. I only had the shift light set at 6k and usually I shift it at 65-6800 range. I think the car will go way faster if I move the shift up but since it ran so close and I am running the 1/4 mile I am going to only set it for 6400. Shoot if I can reach my goal shifting at 6400 then this engine should last a very long time.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
Wicked, did you order the new M/T pro's or the older M/T radials? The new tires have a softer sidewall and like a little more air pressure than the older ones. I would start off with 20psi on your car since it is so heavy if they are the new M/T pro's. If they're the old ones I'd honestly just keep everything the same shock setting wise, tire pressure wise etc. and try it out and go from there.

If it spun with the extension 4 clicks off full loose it was from hitting the tire too hard. You did the right thing by taking it back tight like you did. What I would do personally from here on out, is keep tightening up the front extension until it spins. Then when it spins back it off just a little bit looser and hit it with more power off the line until you can tighten the front extension back up.

On the video you posted the extension of the shock and separation looked great. Perfectly controlled and the tire didn't wrinkle or ball up excessively.

Just keep taking my advice and I'll get you that 5 sec. pass I promise!
I am running the car at Super Chevy and don't want to make any test runs friday night. If I do I am worried they won't pass me for tech on saturday for True Street. I don't have a certified cage or a license. Since I won't get any tuning in for this weekend I was going to do just as you said, leave everything as is for Super Chevy and then start working on it again next weekend.

I purchased the older style tires because I still have to drive 3 hrs there and 3 hrs back home. For now I will run 22 lbs during the cruise so they will get nice and warm and then lower them to 18 before my passes. We can remove air but not ad any. Surely with everything set up exactly the same and haveing a new tire on the car I can go through the 1/8th in the 5's. I think I can build a little more boost on the foot brake before I bump it in also because our reaction times don't count. So I don't have to leave on the light. I will leave when the light turns green. I am hoping this will ad just enough more power at the hit to get in the 1.3 60fts. If I hit a 1.40 or better the car will wheelie. I know its faster without the wheelie but I would rather be slower and a crowd pleaser than faster. lol

Thanks for all the help and I will try and get some good video and pictures from the event. Wish me luck.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:15 PM
FormerVendor

I am running the car at Super Chevy and don't want to make any test runs friday night. If I do I am worried they won't pass me for tech on saturday for True Street. I don't have a certified cage or a license. Since I won't get any tuning in for this weekend I was going to do just as you said, leave everything as is for Super Chevy and then start working on it again next weekend.

I purchased the older style tires because I still have to drive 3 hrs there and 3 hrs back home. For now I will run 22 lbs during the cruise so they will get nice and warm and then lower them to 18 before my passes. We can remove air but not ad any. Surely with everything set up exactly the same and haveing a new tire on the car I can go through the 1/8th in the 5's. I think I can build a little more boost on the foot brake before I bump it in also because our reaction times don't count. So I don't have to leave on the light. I will leave when the light turns green. I am hoping this will ad just enough more power at the hit to get in the 1.3 60fts. If I hit a 1.40 or better the car will wheelie. I know its faster without the wheelie but I would rather be slower and a crowd pleaser than faster. lol

Thanks for all the help and I will try and get some good video and pictures from the event. Wish me luck.
Sounds good bro, just remember, tight is fast, loose is on the bumper!
Old 04-10-2013, 03:51 PM
6 Second Club Moderator

I run my tires at 15 lbs
Old 04-10-2013, 06:17 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by LASTLS1
I run my tires at 15 lbs
If his car weighed what yours did I'd recommend that tire pressure as well Andy, but you sit at what 3200? 3250? His car weighs 3650 and needs more tire pressure as a result.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:12 PM
6 Second Club Moderator

If his car weighed what yours did I'd recommend that tire pressure as well Andy, but you sit at what 3200? 3250? His car weighs 3650 and needs more tire pressure as a result.
Missed his weight, though he would be less. I'm going to try another 1/2 lb or so too.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:11 PM
8 Second Club

Sounds good bro, just remember, tight is fast, loose is on the bumper!
very true

Quick Reply: How to hook a High HP Drag Radial Car?