Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

wastegate sizing and placement?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 02:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wastegate sizing and placement?

This may be a bit of a dumb question but how big of a wastegate do you need for a particular hp level and wheres the ideal place to put the wastegate?

for example a single turbo S4XX setup.
how large of a wastegate is required and wheres the ideal position for it? obviously you want it after the exhaust merges, but is there any particular angle or position that's preferred? i'm assuming you want to maximize flow through the wastegate without impacting flow through the turbine...

just looking for input, ideas, tips or advice.

Thanks
Old 04-14-2013, 03:39 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would think a "y" split would flow best so that's how I did mine...from what I can tell a smaller waste gate has less surface area for the gases to push on and allows you to run higher pressures easier but at what point do you need to go bigger all depends on the flow of your setup to prevent boost creep and I'm not sure how to calculate that
Old 04-14-2013, 07:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Try a search. This was recently discussed here, and over on the turbo forums .com.
Several ideas as to what works/doesn't and why...[Some guys are getting away w/ some scary shyt!]
http://www.theturboforums.com/search...earchid=100724
Old 04-15-2013, 12:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If your using a 76 or smaller, I use a single 44-46. Any bigger on the turbo or using a divided housing (like S400 series) , I use two 38-39's.
Old 04-15-2013, 02:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are a few things that will swing your WG sizing needs:

1. Engine size
2. Turbo Size
3. Max Boost Pressure
4. WG placement

Just a couple of examples. A 364 cube engine with 70mm turbo and running 25psi will most likely not even need a wg at all because that engine is consuming everything that turbo can output. Hence the need for a WG is almost eliminated.

Second example is the same 364, but this time it has a 118mm turbo and only running max boost at 8psi. This setup will require a very large or multiple large WG's.

The hotside need to favor the WG for maximum effectiveness of venting. 90* would be the worst placement.

Hope that all makes sense and helps.

Quick Reply: wastegate sizing and placement?