Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

'84 Cutlass 5.3L/4L80e LS9 Cammed Procharged Pro-Tourer

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 02:26 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default '84 Cutlass 5.3L/4L80e LS9 Cammed Procharged Pro-Tourer

Hey guys,

After getting rid of yet another one of my builds I am finally getting around to a car that has a lot of history in my family. This was one of my uncle John's first cars. He had it for many years, was stolen and recovered 3 times in Philly. He drove it everyday for work for many years. My brother then got it from him as his first car and we drove together in it to high school for 2 years until he went off to college. He parked it and I picked it up (read: stole) it from him to turn it into a V8 car.

It originally was a 231 V6 NON-turboed Buick engine and served us well. In the late 90s I put a 403 Olds in it to beef it up for a few years. Then built an 11 sec 403 for it that I raced for many years. Eventually put it on the back burner when the pro-touring bug bit me...and I met my later-to-be wife.

FINALLY getting my crap together and doing a little simplifying in my life. Back in July I leased myself a '13 CTS-V and while it was absolutely amazing...I was just freaking out about every little thing...it stopped being fun for me because I love to drive stuff and drive it hard. Also because it was rather pricy for me, it precluded me from doing what I really love...build cars.

So, I decided to do a little "life-simplification". Sold my '69 Cutlass project, got rid of the V and got rid of my old truck and got brand new '12 Silverado 5.3L Z71:

I absolutely love this thing. Great economy for a daily (compared to the V...haha) and has plenty of power to tow what I need it to.

Now that my garage is ridiculously empty...but still a mess because I haven't wanted to go in there...I decided to finally pop back in and get my *** in gear on a project that sat for over 6 years...funny another as long as I have known my wife (absolutely no coincidence there........)

Anyhow, here she is...a longtime love of my life, what I am calling Simplicity:

Here is how she currently sits...disgraceful:

BUT...she will live again...very soon! Here's the list:

- Junkyard 5.3L ~120K on the clock - going to ARP the easy stuff and use LS9 head gaskets
- Right now I am sticking with manual steering so I will need to come up with an aftermarket Alternator-only bracket
- LS9 Cam
- Edelbrock Super Victor Manifold (too good a deal to pass up)
- Procharger Corvette C6 D1SC - rebuilt 4l80e with Transgo HD2 kit
- Triple disc Yank torque Converter
- built GN rear that was set up for an NA car. Currently 3.73s. Will probably go with Moser 9inch ends so I can go with LARGE by HUGE disc brakes
- Cell and monsterous Fuel Lab pump PWM controlled.

Here's some pics of the 2004 5.3L:

Here's the 5.3L on the stand sans intake...doesn't look horrendous.

Box O'goodies that were stripped from the engine...not sure if I am going to try and reuse the coils or not.

4L80e getting the HD2 trans-go:

Vette Accessory Drive (C6):

Fuel Lab 1500 HP Fuel Pump

LS2 front cover and conversion parts

Way too expensive LS9 Head Gaskets adn ARP Head Bolts

LS9 Cam

CTS-V Pan and Pickup...

Car Shop Mtg plates:

Brain Tooley Springs...highly recommend, ridiculously fast shipping.

Old 04-17-2013, 02:26 PM
TECH Resident

LS6 Valley Cover

Super Victor, 95-deg Elbow...not shown is the Eddy fuel rails

Garage over-flowing with toys!!!

A little teaser for later this week....

A&A Procharger bracket...got a smokin' deal on the 8 rib set-up for the Vette Accessory drive. I will be going F1A or D1SC. I am leaning toward the D1SC namely because I want to keep this a little more street than track (having a kid will do that to ya...haha).

Here's the heads before the machine shop:

More to come this week!!!
Old 04-17-2013, 02:27 PM
TECH Resident

Solid score last night! P1SC that was upgraded by Procharger to a D1SC with zero miles! Fraction of the cost and free shipping...so stoked!

Quick Reply: '84 Cutlass 5.3L/4L80e LS9 Cammed Procharged Pro-Tourer