Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Project Land Whale (Silverado Turbo Build)

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 08:49 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by White.Lightning
Really nice build! In for updates.

Couple of things.....
-Who does your powder coating?
-Thanks for the tip/idea of the 4L80e on an engine stand. I see places selling those trans holding fixtures to have it hang from a bench going for $180. Harbor Freight sells an engine stand for like $60.
-You mentioned some wheel you used to clean/scuff the trans. Do you have a picture of it?
Thanks for the compliment.

#1 - I own a small coating shop and do my own work.
#2 - You're welcome!
#3 - I used a cup style wire brush as well as a scotch-brite disc.
Similar to these:

Originally Posted by badazz99ss
Nice nice
Thank you sir.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:54 AM
12 Second Club

Sorry for the delay between posts. I placed an order for some parts last week and they are starting to trickle in. I never got a chance to install the transmission and at this point I am debating if I should even bother before I start building the turbo stuff.

Nothing too exciting has come in yet. My catch can arrived yesterday and I will probably get bored and put it together tonight. The intercooler and intercooler pipes are supposed to be here this week as well. I also have fuel pumps, wiring for that and a few other odds and ends awaiting delivery for me as well.

I plan on ordering my hotside pipes and turbo flange in the next couple of days and once those get here I will probably start building the kit along with the help of a couple of friends.

My goal as of now is to start building the hotside by the 20th of this month and to have all of the remaining parts ordered by the end of the first week in August. From that point I hope to have the build portion wrapped up and be tuning by the end of August.
Old 07-24-2013, 05:04 PM
12 Second Club

Lots of time between this post and last, but unfortunately not a lot of work has been done. One of the friends that is going to help me has been playing Army for that past couple weeks and won't be back until this weekend.

About all the parts I have left arrived though. I need to pick up a Tru-Boost and injectors still and that will be it. Here are a couple pointless pics of parts I snapped, haha.

Catch Can:
Name:  IMG_4268.jpg
Views: 3561
Size:  114.9 KB

Intercooler:
Name:  IMG_4267.jpg
Views: 3578
Size:  78.8 KB

Cold side piping, couplers, etc.
Name:  IMG_4266.jpg
Views: 3654
Size:  84.5 KB

I got the truck pulled into the garage and the exhaust taken off as well as the horrid bed cover, but that is it for now. Hoping to get more done this weekend however I will be at the track Saturday with some friends so I doubt anything too exciting happens.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:12 AM
12 Second Club

I started to do a bit more work this weekend. Pulled all of the intake stuff and started working on the intercooler mounting. I have everything positioned how I want it with the intercooler and marked, just need to get the brackets welded down now. There will be a lot of trimming necessary for the intercooler pipes to clear between the headlights and radiator. So I did some marking and measuring for that as well.

I also finished coating the blow-off valve and wastegate. I coated the base of the wastegate in high temp black and the rest of the parts in Wrinkle Black. The flange on the gate needs to be rotated, but I put it together quick to take this picture.

Name:  WastegateampBlow-OffValve.jpg
Views: 3632
Size:  362.6 KB

Hopefully I can get some more done through the week, but progress will be slow at this point due to other obligations and some of help having obligations as well.

However, more to come, just be patient with me.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:13 AM
On The Tree

nice work. subscribing..
Old 08-05-2013, 06:46 AM
TECH Resident

Looks good.. Nice to see a build with the supporting mods done prior to pushing it hard..
Old 08-05-2013, 01:13 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by mehoffz24
nice work. subscribing..
Originally Posted by ig109
Looks good.. Nice to see a build with the supporting mods done prior to pushing it hard..
Thanks for the kind words.

I am not sure how many supporting mods it has really. I mean the cam was spec'd for the build and it will have tires and a 4L80E and that is about it.

Other than that it is a stock bottom end 5.3, stock rear end with stock suspension more or less.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:50 AM
8 Second Club

Received 725 Likes on 532 Posts

Old 08-06-2013, 03:37 PM
12 Second Club

Got the brackets for the intercooler bolted in and adjusted last night. They still need some final work, but I am happy with the positioning of the intercooler. It is about 3/8" below the hood latch which should be fine and gets as much core in the flow path as is possible with this limitation.

Fitting the intercooler pipes on the driver's side will be interesting since the oil cooler is kind of right in the way. Part of me is debating getting rid of it, but I will mock up the pipes and see if it is possible to just trim a bit more and still keep the cooler.

I took a couple of photos, but they are from a phone so they are nothing special. Also the angle is kind of odd since the front of the truck is in the air and I can only back up so far in my garage.

Anyway, here is what it looks like.

Name:  NewImage.jpg
Views: 3555
Size:  75.2 KB

Name:  NewImage2.jpg
Views: 3525
Size:  47.0 KB
Old 08-06-2013, 05:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

In for progress. Nice build!
Old 08-06-2013, 06:45 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Tuckin15s
In for progress. Nice build!
Thanks!
Old 08-06-2013, 08:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

I moved the power steering cooler under the intercooler...bolted to the bottom of the core support.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:12 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1969x11
I moved the power steering cooler under the intercooler...bolted to the bottom of the core support.
I may end up doing something similar to that. I plan to angle mount my true cool behind the bumper if the air flow is adequate.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:51 AM
12 Second Club

A few more parts have rolled in. I got my injectors in a week or so back and in an attempt to save time and fabrication efforts I went ahead and ordered the Trick Performance exhaust manifold. It came in and is a good looking piece. I can't wait to get it on and mock it up with the turbo so I can finish the cold pipes.

I did get the cold side of the cold pipes done as far as cutting and measuring. I need to drop them off to be welded once the other side is done as well as the oil pan to have a -10 welded into it.

This weekend, the manifolds came off of the engine as well as the bed.

I also finally got the intercooler how I wanted it. After some trial and thought process I realized I will probably move to a 4" or maybe even 5" core at some point so I might as well make the room now.

With that in mind, I cut the latch A-Frame at the top and bottom so the intercooler could be mounted deeper. A pair of simple 1x2 brackets were made for the bottom of the intercooler. The top was a bit more interesting. I cut some flat stock aluminum and bent it upwards and then gave it a slight twist to mount with the intercooler and frame, then bolted it through. It is a bit tough to imagine, so hopefully pictures will help.

I will say it looks a little ghetto, but once finished out and powder coated to match the intercooler, I think they will blend in well.

A friend and I also started dropping the 4L60E out of the truck and I hope to have that done within a day or two since I have a buyer for it lined up.
Old 08-15-2013, 03:40 PM
On The Tree

Lookin good!
Old 08-18-2013, 10:29 PM
12 Second Club

Transmission is dropped completely and sold off to a local using it for an LS1 RX7 build.

I painted my turbo today, so nothing exciting, but a picture none the less. I plan to powder coat a lot of things this winter, but for now I am holding off to make the build go a little faster.

I painted this in the mean time just to give it a little flair.

I will be trying to mount the Trick manifold and clock the turbo tomorrow for the rest of the cold side.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:55 AM
12 Second Club

Got the Trick manifold mounted up and the turbo on as well. That was about it for the night. Work has had me busy like crazy.

Front/Side:

Front:

Low front through headlight mount:
Old 08-22-2013, 07:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Looking good!
Old 08-23-2013, 11:47 AM
Teching In

nice build brother. love them single cab trucks
Old 08-23-2013, 01:16 PM
Teching In

truck is looking good, keep the pics coming

Quick Reply: Project Land Whale (Silverado Turbo Build)