Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

PROJECT RED ROCKET TUNING HAS STARTED! AES390, Twin turbo, 4l80e. PG21, Post 408! :)

Old 05-04-2013, 09:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PROJECT RED ROCKET TUNING HAS STARTED! AES390, Twin turbo, 4l80e. PG21, Post 408! :)

Well, i guess this as good time as any to start an official build thread. A little history on the car..

I bought this car 2.5 years ago in Ohio from a guy for $7000. Had 113K miles on it and i would put it at a 8/10. The paint was nice, it was mechanically sound, and the interior was pretty much perfect. I didn't car about the miles too much, because I knew over time that everything was going to get replaced. Shortly after the purchase, the received some DD C6 wheels, a torquer v3 cam, HIDs, and a set of gears. She made 383rwhp/367rwtq. The car still felt very slow to me, so onto a Procharger I went about 6 months later or so... Traded a guy a 2006 ZX10 motorcycle for a complete D1 setup with about 50 miles on it. I had all supporting mods, ie, exhaust, intake, tb, fuel etc etc. Took the car to the dyno, and the tuner turned out an awesome 571rwhp/467rwtq @ 5.5psi. The car felt amazing compared to the previous 383rwhp! This was a year ago this past october. About a year ago last month, i blew up the 10-bolt going around a corner and getting on it a little bit in 2nd gear. Sheared off the ring gear. So, i had some money laying around and picked up a MWC 9" and full suspension from Eric @ MWC. The car was coming along nicely. As soon as the rear was in, i hit the track, and did extremely shitty. the 6-speed wasnt cutting it, 2-3 shift was a pain in the ***, blowing tires off, etc etc. So it pissed me off so much, i tried selling the car. Unsuccessful, i said screw it, go big or go home right? Which brings me to this build thread....

Plans are a 1000rwhp through a TH400 and a MWC 9" rear. I just went and picked up my AES390 yesterday and it looks awesome! Youll see it later in the thread! enjoy...

I sold the Procharger this past January IIRC to a friend of mine. And picked up a set of Turbonetics TC66's Along with a PAracing K-Member, RG-45 Wastegates, Zirgo Pusher fans, XSPower BOV, and a Griffin Radiator.

I got started buy cutting the upper radiator support and trying to figure out how to mount it (Which i still havent made a bracket for it yet.) I see a lot of guys cutting out the entire upper support and i think it looks unfinished, so I decided to gut the under side of my support.

I still have some trimming to do. This was back in december. I just wanted something to do to make myself feel like i was making progress lol. Once my tubing and turbos arrived, we went ahead and started fabbing the turbo system hotside before the new motor was paid for/complete. We couldnt get too far with the downpipes because the new K-member needs to be installed so we can open up some room for them.

Cut off the flanges off the truck manifolds and had Vbands welded to them...

Started fabbing the hotside. just some 2.5" 90* Mandrel bent tubing and a chop saw.

After we got the hot side tac'd, I took them to my local shop and had them all TIG welded. At this point I was pretty much at a stand still. I started pulling stuff off the car i no longer needed. I got the turbos bolted up to see how they look, and I think we did a pretty damn good job for never building something like this before..

At this point, I was pretty much at a stand still. Spent all my procharger money pretty much, and didnt have an Engine to work with and couldnt pull the motor yet because i was living with a friend at the time. Some circumstances happened, and i ended up moving out and lived with my GF for a few months, then ended up buying a house with a nice garage about a month ago. The house was completely gutted and redone and i had the guy finish the 24x24 garage before i bought it. I painted it and put some flooring down, and continued my project.

Last edited by allout06; 04-05-2014 at 03:08 PM.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:37 PM
TECH Addict

Arriving at its new home..

This stand is a cluster **** now with parts...

I Paid my Long block off back in march, so I was finally ready to start pulling the motor and get things going again after a long 4 month or so wait.

My little helper lol..

Me looking stupid in the engine bay..

Always nice to have buddies to come and help!

Putting the old engine on a stand to be torn down..

The car as it sits right now..

always bag and tag your ****! lol

old engine

good place for the hood

Engine harness...ick.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:38 PM
TECH Addict

edit...

Last edited by allout06; 07-19-2013 at 09:50 AM.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:39 PM
TECH Addict

CBR Performance Oil Feed block

Ill probably get flamed for these, but im going to try out the Ebay valve covers. These are supposedly the "better ones". They seem to seal ok, the seal that came with them is thick and heavy duty...

Classic Industries powdercoated Alternator

BBK Fuel rails with FAST crossover line

Bosch 127# High-Impedance Injectors

Ok, now to the good stuff. I had the pleasure of meeting the guys of AES. For any of you who ordered from them and are waiting on your stuff. Be patient, they are SWAMPED with orders. I actually went yesterday and picked up my engine. Mike and Brian are cool dudes.

AES 390 9.4:1 CR

Callies Compstar Crank 3.825" 4340 forging
Callies Compstar H-beam Rods
Diamond -15cc Dished pistons
Custom Comp cam 238/240 .605/.609 112LSA 109.5 CL
AES Ported 317's, stainless oversized valves, Dual springs, Hardened pushrods etc etc
LS9 Head gaskets
LS7 Lifters
LS2 Lifter Trays
ARP head studs
ARP Main Studs

Decided to see what the turbos look like on it lol

Cleaned up my power steering brackets and TB and bought a new pump.

Old 05-04-2013, 09:42 PM
TECH Addict

This is where im at now. Im waiting on my oil pan, front/rear cover, valley cover and water pump to get done at the powder coaters. After I get the engine "complete" Ill move onto pulling the harness out of the engine bay and start cleaning things up. I plan on painting the bay before the engine goes in, then ill be able to finish up the hotside and start on the cold side and fuel system. Ill update this as much as I can. Ive been working a lot of overtime to get this build going. Id like to be able to drive it before this Fall, but we will see. It all depends on how work goes. Let me know what you guys think, and any input would be awesome! Hopefully everything goes well. Its been a learning experience thus far.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:03 PM
TECH Addict

I made a meme with my engine lol..

Old 05-04-2013, 10:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

cant wait to line em up! Car looks great, and making some great progress. You need to go ahead and start putting some money down on the TH400. Jakes let me make payments so the hit would not sting as much.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:48 PM
TECH Addict

Car looks good. Nice work. Isn't there a build thread on this car already?
Old 05-04-2013, 10:49 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by I8UR4RD
cant wait to line em up! Car looks great, and making some great progress. You need to go ahead and start putting some money down on the TH400. Jakes let me make payments so the hit would not sting as much.
Ill do that here in about a month. i wanna get this engine back into the car so i can finish the hot side and start the cold side and fuel system. ill throw $500 aside soon and give him that. I believe his stage 3, RMVB with a brake is $2150.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:50 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Cam72aro
Car looks good. Nice work. Isn't there a build thread on this car already?
thanks man!

and kind of. but it was a big cluster ****....
Old 05-05-2013, 12:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by allout06
thanks man!

and kind of. but it was a big cluster ****....
sooo.......what did aes charge for the list you have posted up?
Old 05-05-2013, 12:38 AM
TECH Addict

i got one hell of a deal...

$6100
Old 05-05-2013, 04:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

i got one hell of a deal...

$6100
Wow.....they charged me $6800 for the same list of stuff, minus my own ls7 lifters, and ls9 gaskets. I even paid my shortblock in full 2wks after ordering shortblock. I'm glad your experience was better than mine with them. My total was way more than what Brian and I talked on the phone about, when it was time to pick it up.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Nice work man, engine looks killer. I think mine would have been either in a crate or gone by the time you got there?
Old 05-05-2013, 05:29 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

Very nice build, glad to be of help for it as well. Let us know if you need anything else!

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed
Old 05-05-2013, 02:01 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Anchor
Nice work man, engine looks killer. I think mine would have been either in a crate or gone by the time you got there?
Thanks man. I didnt really see any other 390's so it must be gone? they have a **** ton of blocks laying around that need built. i bet there were 40+ blocks that were bare that havent even been touched yet.

Originally Posted by Superman09
Very nice build, glad to be of help for it as well. Let us know if you need anything else!
defiantly a big help jon! Ill be ordering an Eboost2 off ya at esome point. ive been saying that, just dont need it yet. another month or so.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:57 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice build so far! Subscribed!
Old 05-05-2013, 08:08 PM
12 Second Club

Nice man! Christmas in may! Haha. What fuel you gona use? Curious cause I'm about to upgrade to those 127s.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:36 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 93camaro_zzz
Very nice build so far! Subscribed!
thanks man!

Originally Posted by LS1RedZ
Nice man! Christmas in may! Haha. What fuel you gona use? Curious cause I'm about to upgrade to those 127s.
haha no joke! its gonna be Christmas for the next few months lol.

i plan on running 93+ 100% methanol injection. Gonna run a magnafuel 4303 pump and an aquamist meth kit.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks man. I didnt really see any other 390's so it must be gone? they have a **** ton of blocks laying around that need built. i bet there were 40+ blocks that were bare that havent even been touched yet.
Mine was an all black 398 with black hi-ram.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: PROJECT RED ROCKET TUNING HAS STARTED! AES390, Twin turbo, 4l80e. PG21, Post 408! :)