Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

A Cautionary Tale about Precision Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 01:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lsxmalibu
Turbonetics is chinese.. might as well just buy the no-name and save $$
Whats chinese about them? From what I understood was they are made in cali all in house....maybe the bearings and seals are china?
Old 06-11-2013, 07:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

who knows....this is the company that builds the turbo I run, I bet you'd be surprised how many "usa" companys get parts from them.

http://www.turboresearch.com.cn/about%20us.html
Old 06-11-2013, 11:11 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

geez...
Old 06-11-2013, 11:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Selling everything for an F1A Procharger lol Goddamn chi-coms
Old 06-11-2013, 12:58 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,199 Likes on 770 Posts

PT GT47-88 broke twice, I had the proper oil feed, turbo was braced properly.

BS

http://www.fquick.com/garages/viewga...d=4&carid=6952
Old 06-11-2013, 01:57 PM
TECH Regular

My precision GTSH7682 is working great! Made enough boost to blow my 5.3 quite properly! Oh, and mine was used off a mustang site with unknown miles. I guess I'm just lucky! I prefer not to let threads like this worry me. If it works it works.

I hope I don't have a problem with mine, but if I do I know I'll be going with a chigity china, the chinese chicken kinda turbo.
Old 06-11-2013, 04:04 PM
GLS
Staging Lane

I believe most of the turbonetics Chinese parts are just cast in china...

But I recently bought a pt 88 for my build and hope it works out!
Old 06-11-2013, 08:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Turbonetics are built in CA by Asian Americans. That does not make them Chinese
Old 06-12-2013, 12:37 AM
TECH Regular

Purchased two 6766's from Precision and sent them to a customer in Saudi Arabia... both turbos leaked on startup.

Found over a dozen of these units that have had leaking turbine seals from searching stories on the net.

Im still waiting to hear back if im gonna get the infamous warranty run around from Pete and the boys.
Old 06-12-2013, 03:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LilJohn
Purchased two 6766's from Precision and sent them to a customer in Saudi Arabia... both turbos leaked on startup.

Found over a dozen of these units that have had leaking turbine seals from searching stories on the net.

Im still waiting to hear back if im gonna get the infamous warranty run around from Pete and the boys.
Mine smoked a little when they were brand new, after a few miles they were fine. No problems since.
Old 06-12-2013, 06:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LT1RAY
Pretty sweet that Turbonetics stood behind their product even when it was user error!

I have this "turbo kit" you speak of and theres only 6 threads on the hotside, 4 on the T4 flange and 2 on the wastegate which I had a V-band welded on. Down pipe is a V-band connection. I've never "had to chase every thread in the hot pipes", nor have I ever heard of this problem.
The hot side holes are supposed to be threaded? Lmao doesn't it gets clamped with using a nut on the manifold studs?
Old 06-12-2013, 08:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by svg210
The hot side holes are supposed to be threaded? Lmao doesn't it gets clamped with using a nut on the manifold studs?
Lol yep.

Last edited by LT1RAY; 06-12-2013 at 09:17 PM.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:39 PM
TECH Resident

How bad was the oil break down I think I will stay procharged
Old 06-13-2013, 08:21 PM
Launching!

Precision gets alot of there parts from turbonetics, an yes most all of there parts are cast in china or other country's, not just china lol, don't really matter where it's made or cast if the part is made in a company where there QC is some burnout jacking there Dick all day then yea u will have problems from your parts
Old 06-13-2013, 08:31 PM
Launching!

Come to Think of it you would be amazed how much crap are country makes an sales too lol
Old 06-15-2013, 04:53 AM
Staging Lane

Precision is junk.
They flat out told my friend, who is on his 3rd turbo from them, that they don't have the equipment to balance their turbos. He bought a 6262 for his evo and the chra was so out of balance that the wheel would swing back and forth when you spin it by hand. He still ran that turbo and it lasted all of maybe 20 miles. Hes not an idiot. He's an FAA certified tech and pilot that overhauls king air jets... He knows that something was wrong but just decided to trust precision. That obviously was a bad Idea.

One of my other friends owns/operates a turbo shop. He rebuilds and sells stuff all day long. He's told me that big shops send their turbos to him for service. Precision has even sent him turbos to rebuild. One was from sound performance, off a supra. It was a pte turbo that was installed with the pte oil kit and restrictor. It was blatantly obvious that the turbo died from lack of oil. Sound performance can be trusted to build stuff but precision can't be trusted to spec out parts. After all, pte said to use the restrictor that caused the failure anyway.

And precision is all Chinese stuff. Including their "new" Wastegates and bov. they used to be a tial retailer. When tial came out with their new mvr/Mvs and q line up, pte send these items to a factory in china and had them replicated for production. All the pte items that resemble tial parts are flat out Chinese knock offs being sold by a "name brand" retailer. And tial saw this, that's why pte and tial no longer have a partnership.

Pte stuff can make power. That's not an issue. My problem is durability and qc.
People like to defend pte based on their aftermarket presence and sponsorships... Bu that doesn't equate to reliability. When pte can build something that will pass qualification to become an Oem supplier like turbonetics, garret, holset or Borg, then the pte nut swingers will have a leg to stand on. Pte isn't iso9001/2000 certified and they won't be with the junk they put out.

Take a hint from the Oem's...
Btw, not everything made in china is junk. Cheap **** made in china is junk. Turbonetics does buy Chinese made turbine shafts but there's a difference in quality control for Oem suppliers to out source things like this.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:35 AM
11 Second Club

never said the flanges had threaded holes in them.. its like any other china crap.. some are good.. some are complete ****.. guess my customer got ****..
Old 06-15-2013, 09:36 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Flubyux2
Precision is junk.
They flat out told my friend, who is on his 3rd turbo from them, that they don't have the equipment to balance their turbos. He bought a 6262 for his evo and the chra was so out of balance that the wheel would swing back and forth when you spin it by hand. He still ran that turbo and it lasted all of maybe 20 miles. Hes not an idiot. He's an FAA certified tech and pilot that overhauls king air jets... He knows that something was wrong but just decided to trust precision. That obviously was a bad Idea.

One of my other friends owns/operates a turbo shop. He rebuilds and sells stuff all day long. He's told me that big shops send their turbos to him for service. Precision has even sent him turbos to rebuild. One was from sound performance, off a supra. It was a pte turbo that was installed with the pte oil kit and restrictor. It was blatantly obvious that the turbo died from lack of oil. Sound performance can be trusted to build stuff but precision can't be trusted to spec out parts. After all, pte said to use the restrictor that caused the failure anyway.

And precision is all Chinese stuff. Including their "new" Wastegates and bov. they used to be a tial retailer. When tial came out with their new mvr/Mvs and q line up, pte send these items to a factory in china and had them replicated for production. All the pte items that resemble tial parts are flat out Chinese knock offs being sold by a "name brand" retailer. And tial saw this, that's why pte and tial no longer have a partnership.

Pte stuff can make power. That's not an issue. My problem is durability and qc.
People like to defend pte based on their aftermarket presence and sponsorships... Bu that doesn't equate to reliability. When pte can build something that will pass qualification to become an Oem supplier like turbonetics, garret, holset or Borg, then the pte nut swingers will have a leg to stand on. Pte isn't iso9001/2000 certified and they won't be with the junk they put out.

Take a hint from the Oem's...
Btw, not everything made in china is junk. Cheap **** made in china is junk. Turbonetics does buy Chinese made turbine shafts but there's a difference in quality control for Oem suppliers to out source things like this.
why would someone even try to sell a turbo knowing its not balanced..
Old 06-15-2013, 09:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

I agree, china is beating the unionized US manufacturing plants. In both productivity and quality.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:57 AM
11 Second Club

I agree, china is beating the unionized US manufacturing plants. In both productivity and quality.

unionized... thats the problem..

Quick Reply: A Cautionary Tale about Precision Turbo