Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

LT1 will not Rev past 4500 RPM

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 07:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 78 Posts

I pulled your file into Datamaster, exported it to a spreadsheet and looked at it.
First thing I noticed is that the "Barometric Reset " is occurring that Dookie referred to when you go into boost. As he mentioned,the car will fall flat on it's face at this point.

Look at the Baro column. Note what happens to your MAF readings too. They're all over the place and the Duty cycles are always way low even at 4,xxx rpm levels.
Hmm.. that cut n paste looked bad

My website is unavailable now but I'll try to get the graphic up.
Can you send me your tune file? Doesn't matter if it's Bin or .lt1. I'll put the baro reset fix in it if you don't have access to it otherwise.

Here's your 100%TPS (WOT) readings. Notice the Baro going to double...

Last edited by mightyquickz28; 08-06-2013 at 11:48 AM.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:35 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bin File....

Thank you for all the help with this. Here is my .bin for the tune I am currently running. What does the data file mean to you then? Sounds like you're about 1000 times more knowledgeable than I could ever hope to be in this area...
I kept checking the blog and didn't see you posted so quickly until I realized I was only looking at the first 20 posts...
Attached Files
File Type: zip
94_Blown_TA.zip (53.8 KB, 23 views)
Old 08-08-2013, 08:59 AM
TECH Addict

Hey guy, what is your injectors size? Are you running 1 bar or 2 bar MAP sensor? Are you planning to run closed loop or full time open loop? Are you running a MAF?

Weird thing:
On your scalar setting of MAP Threshold to enable WOT...
Stock is 15 kpa,
Mine is 15 kpa,
Yours is 80 kpa

This means your car won't use the PE tables(Cell 18) till you reach 80kpa.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:40 PM
Teching In

Default Injector size....

I'm running 46lb injectors and a 1 bar map. I did have a 2 BAR, but the guy from lt1pcmtuning who did my tune recommended I swap the 2 BAR out for a 1 BAR as it would be easier to tune.
I would prefer to run closed loop for drivability reasons. What would you recommend?

I just pulled the supercharger belt off and took it out for a test run, and ran it up to 6000+ RPM no issues, although it was a pooch...

You obviously know way more than I do about this than I do. I am an old school carburetor guy, which seemed sooo much easier. I did check out your website and am very amazed at what all you have done too!

What is the baro reset fix?
Old 08-08-2013, 12:57 PM
TECH Addict

Okay. I'm going to take a copy of my old MAF tune, plug in your engine size, 46 lbs injectors, closed loop and your Gear set out back.
You'll get a MAF tune that will go into closed loop, boost friendly spark, fuel tables, fans on early, stock knock tables.

The Baro reset is something that Dookie found in his efforts to build a SD (Speed Density) tune. Basically, when your engine starts, it gets the barometric pressure. On a 1 bar sensor, that's usually going to be around 50kpa. With a 2 bar, it will be 104kpa or so.

With the stock PCM flash, when you go into boost, the PCM will resample the Barometric reading and, seeing it doubled, will change the attendant fueling because of the perceived Barometric pressure. This can make the car fall flat on its face. He conveyed this phenomena to Tunercat and they provided a fix for it. I downloaded it from him and incorporated it. I also have the BLM Locker in my tune. This is another 'defeat' in the code to prevent the PCM from taking the Block Learns it was experiencing just prior to WOT from being used. The BLM Locker defaults them both (left, right) to 128.
Old 08-08-2013, 01:25 PM
TECH Addict

Here you go...
http://www.taekwondoplus.org/z28/Tur...94_Tune_01.bin
Old 08-08-2013, 02:11 PM
Teching In

Default tune....

Thank you so much!!!

I am going to download it right now and give it a whirl.

I do appreciate your time and help.

I will post a note here in a while after a test run.

Do I use the 1 or 2 BAR MAP?
Old 08-08-2013, 02:32 PM
TECH Addict

Use the 1 bar for this tune.
Please check things and progress slowly till you're sure it's okay at a level. By all means, do NOT just go out and floor it

start - how is it idling?
Slow- acceleration as if driving in traffic with a cop behind you(ie: cautious) Is it smooth or bucking?
Slightly aggressive acceleration - same thing, smooth or bucking/missing?
If the others are okay, start ramping up the aggressiveness a bit. If everything seems okay with the early tests, give it a quick second or two of WOT then let off. If you can datamaster it, while doing all the above and send me the log, I can see if it needs tweaks or we are on the right track.
Old 08-08-2013, 03:28 PM
Teching In

I just got back from a long cruise. I will have to do it again and data log it, but everything seemed well except full throttle again. Seems like it really starts to get up then on its face @ 4500-4700 RPM. I will head out again shortly and data log if you are still able to take a look at it.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:45 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by mmdehaven
I just got back from a long cruise. I will have to do it again and data log it, but everything seemed well except full throttle again. Seems like it really starts to get up then on its face @ 4500-4700 RPM. I will head out again shortly and data log if you are still able to take a look at it.
Yes. Please send it. With idle, cruise and some aggressive throttle. The more records and driving g activity, the better.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:49 PM
TECH Addict

Sorry, can't remember (and I'm on my droid) , do you have a blower or a turbo? I am trying to figure out where your blow off valve /bypass is in your cold side routing. Can you describe its location?
Old 08-09-2013, 10:33 AM
Teching In

Default ATI ProCharger

It's supercharged.
The blow off is located between the intake after the filter and MAF and the cold side of the single aftercooler.

I will upload another datamaster run in just a short while also.

Thanks again.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:16 AM
TECH Addict

Question: Have you ever put the car in like 3rd gear and slowly ramped up the RPM's past 4,700 ? Just wondering if it stumbles under gradual acceleration at that point or not.

Just to make it clear to me, chose which one (or just type in the correct configuration) you have.
<Intake>===<BOV>===<MAF>===<AFTERCOOLER>===<Superc harger>
or
<Intake>===<MAF>===<BOV>===<AFTERCOOLER>===<Superc harger>

I find it odd that it stops performing at that 4,700 threshold unless it's something skewing either the Baro or the MAF.

After I get your input on the configuration noted above and your next Datamaster file, I may create a baseline Speed Density tune for your 2 bar sensor.

Dave

It's supercharged.
The blow off is located between the intake after the filter and MAF and the cold side of the single aftercooler.

I will upload another datamaster run in just a short while also.

Thanks again.

Last edited by mightyquickz28; 08-09-2013 at 12:47 PM.
Old 08-09-2013, 01:05 PM
Teching In

Dave,

One little mixup I had. The injectors I am running are as follows. 42 Lb. Bosch Part number 280150558. Can I just change the injector size with tunercat from 46 to 42lb?

Also, I believe I am in the following configuration:
I go from the K&N filter through the JET MAF sensor. The BOV sits between the cold side of the aftercooler and into the intake behind the MAF again. It's the standard BOV that was included with the ProCharger P1SC single cooler kit. Everything I read about the Procharger kits though are very poor about every component included in the kit other than the unit itself... So I don't know if I need to spend some $$ on a better BOV or not either.

I am headed out right now to log a run, so I should have the data posted back here in about an hour.

Also, let me know if I need to compensate you for your time. I really do appreciate all of your help.

Mike
Old 08-09-2013, 01:30 PM
TECH Addict

Yes, you'd be running too lean the the 46 designation.
No compensation brother

Dave,

One little mixup I had. The injectors I am running are as follows. 42 Lb. Bosch Part number 280150558. Can I just change the injector size with tunercat from 46 to 42lb?

Also, I believe I am in the following configuration:
I go from the K&N filter through the JET MAF sensor. The BOV sits between the cold side of the aftercooler and into the intake behind the MAF again. It's the standard BOV that was included with the ProCharger P1SC single cooler kit. Everything I read about the Procharger kits though are very poor about every component included in the kit other than the unit itself... So I don't know if I need to spend some $$ on a better BOV or not either.

I am headed out right now to log a run, so I should have the data posted back here in about an hour.

Also, let me know if I need to compensate you for your time. I really do appreciate all of your help.

Mike
Old 08-09-2013, 03:14 PM
Teching In

Default data runs....

Here are a few runs while I was out just driving. I don't know how you look through them to see different issues, but there are a few full throttle pulls definitely somewhere toward the beginning of run1 and the end of run4. Everything else seems very good drivability concerned. It does start a little harder than with the other tune and it also seems to be no where near the power as the other tune up until 4700RPM that is. I do believe it doesn't fall on its face quite as soon though, 4700 as opposed to 4500.

Thank you again.

Also, did you mean I should leave them @ 46lbs?
Attached Files
08092013_run2_mightyz_tune.zip (63.5 KB, 13 views)
08092013_run4_mightyz_tune.zip (81.2 KB, 16 views)
Old 08-09-2013, 03:23 PM
TECH Addict

I would like you to designate the tune with the 42's. Is that what these runs had?
Old 08-09-2013, 03:36 PM
TECH Addict

What was the inj constant set to on these runs?
Old 08-09-2013, 03:38 PM
Teching In

Default 42lb...

Yes I did change them to 42LB.
Old 08-09-2013, 03:46 PM
Teching In

One other thing I forgot to mention. (Brain Fart)!

I turned the fuel pressure up to 56lbs as a test and forgot to turn it back down to 46. Do I need to send a few more with the pressure back down to 46?

Quick Reply: LT1 will not Rev past 4500 RPM