Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

GM HighTech Writeup on Procharger/Wastegate setups

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 05:15 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

I don't see where bringing in the torque down low such as what a turbo or a positive displacement supercharger would, is going to hurt the motor provided a good tune has been installed. Take a look at ProChargers new i-1 shown here. http://shop.brutespeed.com/ATI-1GT31...1GT313-SCI.htm
When I was at ProCharger I had a chance to drive a new Camaro with one of these, full boost was seen in one second! ProCharger put one on an Expedition and had it running mid 14's. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 07-10-2013, 10:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob@BruteSpeed
I don't see where bringing in the torque down low such as what a turbo or a positive displacement supercharger would, is going to hurt the motor provided a good tune has been installed. Take a look at ProChargers new i-1 shown here. http://shop.brutespeed.com/ATI-1GT31...1GT313-SCI.htm
When I was at ProCharger I had a chance to drive a new Camaro with one of these, full boost was seen in one second! ProCharger put one on an Expedition and had it running mid 14's. Bob
If Bob says it's cool, then I'm DEFINITELY going to do it!
(My order for misc parts is coming soon, Bob. I swear!)
Old 08-14-2013, 09:50 PM
On The Tree

As discussed earlier in this thread; Here's my setup I fabbed using the "928 Motorsports - Boost Limiting Valve" on my J-Tube. I'm using a race bypass before the intercoolers, so the pro-flo location was available.

Bear in mind that it DOES NOT come to you from "928-MS" looking like this! It came in raw aluminum stock finish on the hex flats, tooling marks on the machined surfaces, was dirty, and had burrs in several places. I had to spend some time deburring, "finishing" and polishing it to make it suit me! But, being a machinist myself, I'm VERY picky on fit, finish and quality.

In case anyone wants a machinist's opinion on this part, I'd give the "928 Motorsports BLV" the following review:
Idea: Great
Execution: Good
Function: Good
Fit and Finish: Poor
Value for Product: Fair at best*
(**Knowing my line of work, this part should be able to be produced for less than $50, with a retail of around $100. The $200 mark is waaaaay overpriced for what you get. However, with that being said, the BLV option is still significantly cheaper than a wastegate/boost controller setup.)

Attached Thumbnails GM HighTech Writeup on Procharger/Wastegate setups-jtube-blv.jpg  
Old 08-15-2013, 07:53 AM
11 Second Club

I think I have $300 in my wastegate and boost controller setup. I like that I can change boost on the fly
Old 08-15-2013, 08:32 PM
Launching!

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I think the assumption that engines only die at max torque is a partial truth. Cooling (which staves off detonation) is much more taxed at higher RPM where more boost would definitely create more heat as a byproduct of power. Also, bearing films would have to support more load at higher RPM with a higher total boost engine. Again due to cooling limitations you would potentially be running thinner films (higher oil temps) with higher loads on an engine running more total boost.

Also, max torque is really focused on hurting the bottom-end where valvetrain stability must also be considered. A higher horsepower/higher total boost engine will stress the valve train more because more boost is put behind the intake valves and is also accelerating faster. The exhaust valve will also see a lot more heat on a higher boost engine so that must be considered.

I am no expert but there are other mechanical and thermal design margins that have to be considered besides maximum cylinder pressure when preventing engine failure. This is why bleeding off high RPM boost can make an engine more reliable.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:32 PM
TECH Regular

If the wastegate opens past peak torque then I see the Alchemist's point. However, if it opens before peak torque, meaning boost would already be past the allowed limit before-hand, then the wastegate still helps.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ss2000silverbullet
As discussed earlier in this thread; Here's my setup I fabbed using the "928 Motorsports - Boost Limiting Valve" on my J-Tube. I'm using a race bypass before the intercoolers, so the pro-flo location was available.

Bear in mind that it DOES NOT come to you from "928-MS" looking like this! It came in raw aluminum stock finish on the hex flats, tooling marks on the machined surfaces, was dirty, and had burrs in several places. I had to spend some time deburring, "finishing" and polishing it to make it suit me! But, being a machinist myself, I'm VERY picky on fit, finish and quality.

In case anyone wants a machinist's opinion on this part, I'd give the "928 Motorsports BLV" the following review:
Idea: Great
Execution: Good
Function: Good
Fit and Finish: Poor
Value for Product: Fair at best*
(**Knowing my line of work, this part should be able to be produced for less than $50, with a retail of around $100. The $200 mark is waaaaay overpriced for what you get. However, with that being said, the BLV option is still significantly cheaper than a wastegate/boost controller setup.)

Soooo... When should we be expecting your $100 version? I'm half way thru my procharger instal, get a move on!
Old 08-16-2013, 05:18 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1BADCTS
Soooo... When should we be expecting your $100 version? I'm half way thru my procharger instal, get a move on!
Well...Despite the lack of perfection in 928's execution of this part, I'm not gonna go down that road. It's a great idea, and even though it's not patented, the design should remain his.
I'm all too familiar with how someone stealing your concept feels. If GM hadn't fu*#ed me over in '99, I'd be a millionaire right now. Anyone heard of "Stabilitrac"? Yep...it was conceived by me as something I called "Versa-cruise" back then. I was dumb enough to send it to GM as an idea submission.

Quick Reply: GM HighTech Writeup on Procharger/Wastegate setups