Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Help selecting remote turbo for SBC from the LS1 guys?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 01:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help selecting remote turbo for SBC from the LS1 guys?

Was looking for some help selecting a turbo for my TPI 88 IROC. While the LS1 is more efficient the challenges of a remote turbo are very similar and there are many more remote mount turbos going in 4th gens than in third gens so I was looking for help selecting a turbo.

Before I get flamed on the mild cam, everything on my car is CARB approved; this is why i am looking at a remote turbo then the only thing on the car that won't be carb approved will obviously be the intake; I can always switch back with electric cutouts and stock intake to NA setup that no one can complain about in seconds.

I am looking for a single remote mount turbo that will spool really quickly, looking to run 15 psi, and my redline is only 5000rpm. This should put me at ~630-700 fwhp. I was looking at the turbonetics tc76 as so many have had great success with these turbos but I then ran into some info about the comp oil-less turbos and turbonetics new 7675 and thought I would see what you guys might recommend. As far as I am concerned it can not spool to quick and I don't need to worry about choking the top end as much as my redline is only 5k.

Here are my build specs:

Engine Specs:

357 (350 40 over)
edelbrock performer rpm heads
edelbrock headers ceramic coated
1.6 Roller Rockers
crane cams 2031 lift at cam is 292/302 (=467/482 with 1.6 rockers) with 264/270 duration and 112 lob sep (new part number here: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/crn-104225)

Transmission: PATC build 700R4 ~2000 stall

3.5" alum drive shaft

Moser M9, alum section with 3.25 gears

3" exhaust - will need to wrap and probably need to replace with 2.25" to help spool times.
Old 07-16-2013, 04:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow 60+ views and no comments, maybe I am asking the wrong question.

From what I have seen on similar combos a tc76 would work well. Is there a quicker to spool turbo that is comparable to the tc76? i.e. will a billit 7575, some comp turbo combination, or some other turbo with ceramic bearings and billet wheel that can improve on the tc76?

Another way I was looking at it is, what is the quickest spooling turbo that makes an honest 700 fwhp by 5000rpm on a stock ls1?

Thanks

Quick Reply: Help selecting remote turbo for SBC from the LS1 guys?