Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Quick turbo question

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 10:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your looking for more power I would go with a bigger turbo. A smaller cam to band aid the back pressure just seems like a a lot of lost potential.
Old 10-23-2013, 10:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been in contact with him. He recommended regrinding cam to take some overlap out of it.
I have no clue how old springs are so we are going to try and check pressures maybe they are weak idk.
Looks like a bigger turbo is going to be what happens. Just seems it should do better from reading some of these 7675 5.3 are making alot more steam then this of course I dunno at what elevation though.
Old 10-23-2013, 10:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrmooney
So bigger turbo is needed to use this cam. What about changing cam or am I just covering up the issue of turbo still being to small. I am really new to turbo stuff.
Originally Posted by T76s10
If your looking for more power I would go with a bigger turbo. A smaller cam to band aid the back pressure just seems like a a lot of lost potential.
Just to make this clear...a smaller cam isn't a bandaid. A larger turbo is a bandaid. Both of those things are indeed ways to solve the problem, but why move to a larger turbo when the one you have now can support more power than you're making? Not to mention its just swapping a cam which is a $350 part compared to a turbo that costs several times that amount.

When choosing a turbo, you pick the smallest one that can accomplish your goals...then you spec a cam to facilitate the needs of that turbo and optimize your torque curve. Follow those simple steps and you'll be a happy camper
Old 10-24-2013, 12:18 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Turbo was already on car and I thought it would meet my goals. I went wity a specd cam thinking it would meet it even easier without having to push engine to hard. At this point im trying to find cheaper easier way to correct this issue. Ive been driving car and just short shifting but thats a bandaid if I've ever seen one lol.
Old 10-24-2013, 12:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

That's a good turbo. I've seen it make 1000whp before. I would take him up on the regrind idea. You'll probably be pleased with the results.

Quick Reply: Quick turbo question