Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Pressure testing the cold side...

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 12:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 78 Posts

Default Pressure testing the cold side...

I had been reading some posts on how you can detect pressure leaks on the cold side with interest since I suspect I might have just such a leak. One post suggested going to the hardware store and finding an PVC end cap that would just fit inside a 3” coupler. With 2 such end caps you could uncouple at/near the throttle body and at the outlet of the turbo and seal your cold side. Prior to putting one of the caps on, he suggested drilling an hole suitable for an air hose fitting and seal it onto that cap. With such a setup, you could dial down the PSI on your Air compressor regulator to a suitable level and, after attaching the air hose you can go around the system using either your ear or soapy water to detect pressure leaks.

That in mind, I went to my local Ace hardware affiliate but couldn’t find and caps that had the outside diameter right at 3”. I *did* however, find these…

Notice they are fully sealed on the ends. All one has to do is drill out the little plastic raised area on the tip (and a little larger for the air hose fitting) and insert the fitting…

You simply insert the plugs into the couplers, tighten the red screw till it’s nice and tight, the hook up the air hose and start testing.
Thanks,
Dave
Old 09-03-2013, 07:22 PM
8 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A hockey puck works good for 3" too.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 78 Posts

I ended up still having to use the T-bolt clamps to keep the ends in place but it worked perfectly. I found my leak and repaired it. Going for a test drive soon.
Dave
Old 09-04-2013, 09:46 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i did that recently but i used a rubber end cap from Lowes and a quick disconnect air fitting and lever style ball valve, found 2 good leaks.

Quick Reply: Pressure testing the cold side...