Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

JGS Wastegate issues...

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 06:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 78 Posts

Default JGS Wastegate issues...

I can't figure this thing out. I have a PT7675 Turbo and I'm using the JGS50mm wastegate. I've tried it on the spring and it gets 3psi on the 'as delivered' spring and 8 psi on the 'high tension' spring. I've then put the Turbosmart manual boost controller on it where the top port is vented and the BC is between the compressor and the waste gates bottom port. This, at max setting, gets me 14.x PSI. My old kit (Log manifolds, TC76 and Turbosmart 38mm wastegate) would go to 18 psi. Now, JGS has a configuration for 'high boost' which has the compressor outlet feeding the top port and the BC is between the Tee to the compressor and the bottom port of the wastegate. When routed this way, the instructions say "Turn your BC open all the way. The lowest 'high boost setting' will be the same as the 'max boost' on low setting". I took this to mean the lowest it would go would be 14.x PSI. However this will go to 24psi before blows off the charge pipe and probably higher if my kit would contain the pressure.

I intended to try it again today with the high boost config and just moderate the foot pressure to alleviate too much PSI. So I went out to warm up the motor/drivetrain. After about 30 minutes, I saw a blue car race up on my butt while I was going 55mph. I couldn't tell what it was, assuming it might be a Mazda or Nissan. Not liking him reading the serial numbers on my tail lights so easily, I tried just lightly accelerating a bit. He just jumped up on my *** again. Irritated, I knew a slight half mile straightaway where he *could* pass was coming up so I downshifted to 4th from 6th. As I rounded the sweeping turn leading to the straightaway, I started flooring it while watching the boost gauge. In a heartbeat, it shot to 19psi so I feathered it a bit and glanced into the rearview mirror. He was like 12 car lengths back now. I grinned as I slowed down for the next turn but when I looked in the mirror, I saw him on my *** again. W..T...F... I goosed my car a little so I could get a better look at his car make/model. Oh.. a Subaru WRX with a young dude driving. Hahaha.. .after another mile of twisties, he turned into a driveway. Putz.. thought he could rain on my parade. Not today grasshopper....

Anyway, have any ideas on what I'm doing wrong with the boost controller/wastegate routing?
Thanks,

Dave
Old 09-21-2013, 09:42 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you try it with a lighter spring in the high boost plumbing configuration?
Old 09-21-2013, 10:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Make sure you have the valve seat installed in the gate.
Old 09-22-2013, 07:22 AM
TECH Addict

hehehe.. yes. I discovered that omission shortly after installing he new kit in February or so. Since I recieved the kit and WG all installed, there weren't any instructions/documents in the box for the components. I looked at the extra spring and that ring and wondered what level spring it was and what that ring was for. I assumed it was a mounting flange in case you wanted to mount the WG differently. Wrong!

Originally Posted by black6spdz
Make sure you have the valve seat installed in the gate.
Old 09-22-2013, 07:24 AM
TECH Addict

Not yet. I'm about to take a drive with the AEM Tru Boost(electronic BC) and see how she responds to the settings. I took off the Turbosmart Boost Tee and will put that in my shop for now.
Thanks for the suggestion.
Dave

Originally Posted by LilJohn
Did you try it with a lighter spring in the high boost plumbing configuration?
Old 09-23-2013, 07:03 AM
TECH Addict

Okay... both lines off/Open ports.. = 8psi. So that's 'on the spring'.

AEM Tru Boost set to max, fourth gear, WOT(but not wound up past 5,500 rpm), up a fair grade = 15.6 psi.

Boy, the power delivery sure feels different when switching from Manual Boost controller to Electronic Solenoid Boost controller. It feels much more linear, but less powerful up to max boost, as you wind it out. I know that's the solenoid moderating the pressure.

I'll have to try the smaller spring mentioned/suggested. Putting in the weaker spring and then trying the 'Max boost' configuration (Full pressure to the top port and BC between the compressor and the lower port) and see what that yields.

Quick Reply: JGS Wastegate issues...