Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Where to find Denatured Alky?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2004, 08:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Where to find Denatured Alky?

Where exactly can you find this stuff? I've been told it's at your local hardware store, but maybe I'm just not looking in the right place. Any advice on locating the best alky at the best price?

Thanks,
Mike

p.s. I'm so happy with the way the install went. Probably my stealthiest install to date. No one will have a clue I'm running alky in this car.

p.p.s. Well no one except for you guys cause I kinda just spilled the beans there.
Old 05-04-2004, 09:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have a friend with an Alchy system in his LT1 blower car and he buys his by the litre in the paint section at Home Depot. Probably any sizable paint store will carry it.
Old 05-04-2004, 10:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

In Canada we can buy Methyl Hydrate which is methanol but not denatured alcy in home depot. In the US you can get denatured alcy at home depot but not meth. Denatured is also shelak thinner. Look in the paint section or check turbobuick.com.

Mathieu
Old 05-04-2004, 10:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by buschman
Where exactly can you find this stuff? I've been told it's at your local hardware store, but maybe I'm just not looking in the right place. Any advice on locating the best alky at the best price?

Thanks,
Mike

p.s. I'm so happy with the way the install went. Probably my stealthiest install to date. No one will have a clue I'm running alky in this car.

p.p.s. Well no one except for you guys cause I kinda just spilled the beans there.

Thats exactly right, I buy mine at lowes or at ace hardware. Shouldnt be too hard to find.
Old 05-04-2004, 11:22 AM
Turbo Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a gallon in the paint section at Home depot for $10. Same place that xylene, paint thinner, etc.. are. You did get the lube to mix with it from Steve right?

Yea your install looks pretty sweet.... it's a great idea, damn stealthy.... i just have something already occupying that space
Old 05-04-2004, 11:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Jarrod you have no idea how well the install went. I had to pull the front bumper to do it, but it was worth it cause to the untrained eye it's totally hidden. I just got in a GP for a new pully setup. I figured that fuel stuff out late last year. So as soon as the pully gets here I need to hit a dyno to do some work. Was thinking about maybe bribing you and Dave to join me and combine ideas to dial her in and find much of my missing power. The beers afterwards will be on me

I'll check the paint section. I talked to a couple people at Home Depot and asked them about the alky. They looked at me like I just asked them a question in quantum physics. Does denatured Alky have a certain chemical composition that I should be looking for? Are there better or worse brands and/or purities that I might find?

Mike
Old 05-04-2004, 11:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ethyl Alcohol, Ethalene, Denatured is treaded with sulfates so you vomit if you try and drink it. Just toss some 140 proof liquor in there, lol.

Trending Topics

Old 05-04-2004, 11:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

...also, Raymer is hooking me up with a really neat-o steath kit for mine as well. We'll have to compare.
Old 05-04-2004, 12:19 PM
TECH Addict

so are you gonna show it off with some pics?
your motivating me to make mine prettier
Old 05-04-2004, 01:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

The car is covered for the week, but I'll try and grab some this weekend. The only bad part is that all the cool stuff you can't see. But it's there

Mike
Old 05-04-2004, 08:48 PM
On The Tree

I get my alky from Orchard Supply. It cost about $10 a gallon.
Old 05-04-2004, 10:49 PM
Turbo Addict

Was thinking about maybe bribing you and Dave to join me and combine ideas to dial her in and find much of my missing power. The beers afterwards will be on me
shoooooooooooooooooootttt.... you don't have to buy the beer, just give me a reason to drink it
Well I think we should set it up... I know all of the RPM folks would be up for a throwdown... and we even have a dyno local where you can make just about all the passes you want for $50 on the weekends.
We'll have an official RPM "alcohol" party
Old 05-05-2004, 02:15 AM
10 Second Club

buschman can you share how you did your alky injected system?

got pics?
Old 05-05-2004, 08:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well I can share the details now and I'll snap some pics this weekend so you guys can see.

First step is I sent Steve(SMC) my windshield washer fluid resevior. Has has a plastic welder. He cut it in two and sealed both sides. He installed all his equipment on the right side of the tank. Then I took the external pump and mounted it in the middle of the bumper support. This required me to take the bumper support off the car so I could make the cut. You'd save your self many many hours if you could figure out how to mount that pump without having to take the bumper off like I did.

Next I had to install the nozzle. The best place I could think of was at the bottom of the polished ATI intake plenum. I ran a 3' steel braided line up in front of my radiator(behind the plastic cover so you can't see it) to the installed nozzle.

I still have to route the wiring, but all the hard stuff is done. I'll post pics later.

Mike
Old 05-05-2004, 10:05 AM
Turbo Addict

You are not spraying before the maf are you?
Old 05-05-2004, 10:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yes I am, is that a problem?
Old 05-05-2004, 11:20 AM
Turbo Addict

I dunno for sure... hopefully someone else will jump in here, but i would think the alky would screw up the meter's readings... doesn't it read airflow by how much the air cools down the resistors?

Anyone?
Old 05-05-2004, 11:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

I just e-mailed Steve and asked him and you are Correct on this one. He confirmed that it would throw off the meter readings. Fortunately I can just move the nozzle back. It won't look quite as stealthy, but once I get my new fuel mangement system, the MAF goes bye bye and I can remount it in the stealthy location. Sucks though, cause you could not see the routing at all

Mike
Old 05-05-2004, 11:38 AM
TECH Addict

you don't want to spray before the maf. the water alky will eat it up in no time.

plus if a big enough droplet hits the MAF the readings go haywire. My buddies alky system was kicking on due to a bad switch in non boost situations and the water was dripping down onto the MAF and it would set off frequency codes and the car would buck hard.

you gotta spray AFTER the maf.
Old 05-05-2004, 11:42 AM
TECH Addict

looks like we posted at the same time.
glad you got the answer before you sprayed the alky.

Quick Reply: Where to find Denatured Alky?