Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

IATs at the track

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 02:11 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, so my 32* increase when the starting point is well below ambient is more efficient than an A2A could ever be because the starting point of an A2A is at best ambient temp. Starting point is important, not overall increase. (I just learned this, lol) I hit the 8th mile traps barely at ambient temps, so yes, that's worth the 30lbs of ice and 100 extra overall lbs I gained.
Old 10-20-2013, 04:40 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow Some pretty heated opinions on here ha ha sorry for the pun. I love how passionate some people are about things but if it isn't really constructive I don't see the point. I think I will tap some sensors to test if my intercooler is a problem and I already have a gt55 in the works that should be interesting. Here is the gt55 unit I have scored for a good price. It is a unit recommended to me rather than me running basic diesel units.
Attached Thumbnails IATs at the track-gt55.jpg  
Old 10-20-2013, 05:28 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by CameronVic
Ok, so my 32* increase when the starting point is well below ambient is more efficient than an A2A could ever be because the starting point of an A2A is at best ambient temp. Starting point is important, not overall increase. (I just learned this, lol) I hit the 8th mile traps barely at ambient temps, so yes, that's worth the 30lbs of ice and 100 extra overall lbs I gained.
I was going to ask what your starting IAT was. I wouldn't doubt the increase on his 4" core, my 3" was about 45*.
Old 10-20-2013, 11:20 AM
8 Second Club

Received 732 Likes on 537 Posts

Your A2A doesn't seem to be working as well as it should IMO. Do you have 1" lines and a good pump? I've seen A2A coolers very similar to yours perform a whole lot better. Not that it's not working well, but I think It could work better.

Originally Posted by Tally TransAm
the 31x12x4 one that cost like $150.

not saying there arent better intercoolers, but having used them on cars up to 800 rwhp, it gets the job done just fine
Huh... sounds like what I am running.

Went 9.04 last night at 151 at 23.8 lbs. 63* ambient. 100* starting point 145* at the end of the run. 3" charge piping. S475 turbo.

Looks like this?

Last edited by Forcefed86; 10-20-2013 at 11:25 AM.
Old 10-20-2013, 11:33 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You should see a hgiher temps post run as you have a higher delta t to start with. Also don't forget your A2W system is just storing the energy where as the a2a is getting rid of it! It would be intresting to see what the peak air temp would be with these cheap cores on a engine dyno though. My guess is these cores will very quickly totally heat soak and be doing very little once held at full power.
Old 10-20-2013, 01:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Forcefed86
Huh... sounds like what I am running.

Went 9.04 last night at 151 at 23.8 lbs. 63* ambient. 100* starting point 145* at the end of the run. 3" charge piping. S475 turbo.

Looks like this?
i would say yes but, maybe its just the angle or the picture, but the pattern on the core looks different

here's the other car i did that i used the same on one

Old 10-20-2013, 06:47 PM
Staging Lane

That is the same sort of cooler I am running, nothing special just a 4" core. I will check with my tuner to see what my iats were on the chassis dyno as we had some serious heat in the cell during the runs. We were running 100F ambients.
Old 10-20-2013, 10:58 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Forcefed86
Your A2A doesn't seem to be working as well as it should IMO. Do you have 1" lines and a good pump? I've seen A2A coolers very similar to yours perform a whole lot better. Not that it's not working well, but I think It could work better.
I'm sure you mean A2W. Yes I have 1" lines, 34' of them LOL. And It's a rule2000 pump. I'm sure a 3700 would keep it a little cooler, but I'm satisfied with what it does. I can start 30-40 below ambient and hit the traps barely at ambient. I gained roughly 100WHP going from a non intercooled meth injected setup to this.
Old 10-21-2013, 02:50 AM
TECH Addict

I'm sure you mean A2W. Yes I have 1" lines, 34' of them LOL. And It's a rule2000 pump. I'm sure a 3700 would keep it a little cooler, but I'm satisfied with what it does. I can start 30-40 below ambient and hit the traps barely at ambient. I gained roughly 100WHP going from a non intercooled meth injected setup to this.
What are the water temps after a run? Be interesting to see if the system has heat soaked or if the efficiency of the charge cooler has dropped as the water temp rises. In fact it would be interesting to see how inlet water temps and outlet air temps compare as they warm up. I have heard that some air to water guys end up with quite high water temps post run!

How much water / ice do you have in the system? Do you totally drain the system and refill after each run?
Old 10-21-2013, 03:52 AM
9 Second Club

I run an a2w setup. 32* inlet temps at the start of a pass regardless of ambient. 60 or under through the traps regardless of ambient.

Just to throw some data out there:

1000+ rwhp. 2 Garrett 1k hp cores. 1" lines.....or maybe even 1.25", I forget. And rule 3700 gold pump.

Old 10-21-2013, 09:43 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by chuntington101
What are the water temps after a run? Be interesting to see if the system has heat soaked or if the efficiency of the charge cooler has dropped as the water temp rises. In fact it would be interesting to see how inlet water temps and outlet air temps compare as they warm up. I have heard that some air to water guys end up with quite high water temps post run!

How much water / ice do you have in the system? Do you totally drain the system and refill after each run?
I've made passes and still had ice after a couple runs. Thats when I start with 3 10lb bags and just 8th mile. I have a rule 2000, if I had a larger pump, I'm sure I could cool it down more initially, and keep the rise of temps down more. I spent $50 on a pump that was used, I just didn't have the money at the time to do a 3700. I would have to redo the whole system (I only have 1" lines) if I wanted to do a 3700 so I'll just leave it the way it is for now.

When I want to drain it to make room for more ice, I have a cup in my trunk to just "cup" it out one cup at at a time. Takes a minute or two and is a little messy. LOL. I'll probably bring a section of the 1" pvc I have leftover and use that on the return to angle the return water out of it and just turn the pump on.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:53 PM
8 Second Club

Received 732 Likes on 537 Posts

Toss some dry ice in that joker...
Old 10-21-2013, 10:50 PM
TECH Regular

It's my understanding that although it is really cold to the touch, the latent heat values or something suck at cooling the water. Ice works way better from what I've read. Just what I've heard thoogh, I'm sure some thermo engineer will chime in or something. Lol
Old 10-22-2013, 01:19 AM
TECH Addict

Dry ice actually works really well to. But it's even harder to store than ice and obviously MUCH harder to get hold of! Lol I would stick with ice if you are getting a couple of passes from a tank. What chargecooler do you have? Any way of running two feeds to the charge cooler? You could then add a second pump and run in parallel!

Charge coolers are a complex beast, although slightly simpler if no HE is involved. It's about getting sufficent mass flow of water through the core but not too much. Kurt urban on here was testing a whipple 2.9 and had real trouble getting enough water flow through the core even at 30psi water pressure.

I guess the same is true for a2a cores but no one seems to worry about airflow with them That's what makes me think thy are being used more as heat sinks (or capacitors) than actual heat exchangers (radiators)!
Old 10-22-2013, 09:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

You should throw some salt in there, and really get the ice/water temps down.

Core corrosion be damned!
Old 10-22-2013, 10:11 AM
TECH Regular

It is the $75 eBay universal A2W. I'm not trying to throw a ton of money at something that performs well within my satisfaction. Only think I could see myself doing with it is drilling out the 3/4npt holes and having 1" aluminum barbs welded on because those are the two smallest fittings on the whole system. I know its just two fittings, but bilge pumps hate pressure, I bet those two fittings rob like 100-200GPH at least.
Old 10-23-2013, 05:10 AM
TECH Addict

It is the $75 eBay universal A2W. I'm not trying to throw a ton of money at something that performs well within my satisfaction. Only think I could see myself doing with it is drilling out the 3/4npt holes and having 1" aluminum barbs welded on because those are the two smallest fittings on the whole system. I know its just two fittings, but bilge pumps hate pressure, I bet those two fittings rob like 100-200GPH at least.
Read the thread on here re the whipple 4.0 ltr SC. on the last page kurt urban talks about presures he had to run to get the coolant flow he wanted. It was about 30psi! He then tested JUST the fittings and saw them as a restriction. So you are not wrong in your thinking!

Be intresting to see what your system presure is at the moment and the flow ratin for the pump at these presures.
Old 10-23-2013, 05:15 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Compressor Surge
You should throw some salt in there, and really get the ice/water temps down.

Core corrosion be damned!
Adding salt will allow you to make the water colder, but it's the phase change that takes the most amount of energy rather than just the warming of the water!

So there is no point in adding salt. Getting the ice as cold as you can will help as it will keep the delta Ts higher for longer (therefore actually pulling more energy from the intake air).

Hmmm I wonder if you can get 12volt ice makers? Lol

Quick Reply: IATs at the track