Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

AES 408 with PT91.5

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 12:06 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by T76s10
it doesn't matter how much air the turbos flow to lift the heads. the boost pressure is what lifts the heads. compressor airflow will determine hp capability and efficiency
Actually cylinder pressure is what lifts heads. A good/bad tune up and fuel can make or break a combo regarding head lifting. It's not all about a boost number. Matter of fact, giving a boost number "only" in reference to head lifting problems is just plain stupid. I've ran many a combo over 22 psi on 4 bolt stuff and it did just fine.

Hell, I got crazy with a tuneup one time and pushed water so bad it was running down the side of the block on only 14 psi. Does that mean the limit is now 14 psi. I think not.
Old 10-25-2013, 06:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ this post has made the most sense. Ive always read its cylinder pressure that causes heads to lift and cylinders to expand not boost pressure.

22 psi is not the pressure against the head either. Boost pressure is manifold pressure, not cylinder pressure.
Old 10-25-2013, 09:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Boost as a # is irrelevant... It's the total package that creates cylinder pressure which blows head gaskets..
fuel consumption, timing, camshaft overlap, etc..
Old 10-25-2013, 02:49 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ren987
Its all about mass flow, lb/min you can use the compare feature on garretts website to see what two turbos will flow in lb/min. And you will notice there is quite a large difference in mass flow between a 4202 and a 5543 at a pr of 2.5.

As for the op, like others stated check on the compressor side to see if oil was getting past on the other side as well.
Originally Posted by Blown06
Actually cylinder pressure is what lifts heads. A good/bad tune up and fuel can make or break a combo regarding head lifting. It's not all about a boost number. Matter of fact, giving a boost number "only" in reference to head lifting problems is just plain stupid. I've ran many a combo over 22 psi on 4 bolt stuff and it did just fine.

Hell, I got crazy with a tuneup one time and pushed water so bad it was running down the side of the block on only 14 psi. Does that mean the limit is now 14 psi. I think not.
Originally Posted by allout06
^ this post has made the most sense. Ive always read its cylinder pressure that causes heads to lift and cylinders to expand not boost pressure.

22 psi is not the pressure against the head either. Boost pressure is manifold pressure, not cylinder pressure.
Originally Posted by StrokerTA
Boost as a # is irrelevant... It's the total package that creates cylinder pressure which blows head gaskets..
fuel consumption, timing, camshaft overlap, etc..
the point i was trying to make the whole time.
Old 10-25-2013, 03:32 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by bad6as
do you have pictures of this combo?
imo 100 lb of oil pressure seams like a lot.
aes lost my busness when they said any thing over 22lbs of boost will lift the heads regaurdless of what turbo.

Then what was this all about?
Old 10-25-2013, 03:35 PM
11 Second Club

that any thing over 22. Psi will lift the heads regaurdlessregardless of the turbo size is not a correct statement
Old 10-25-2013, 04:40 PM
FormerVendor

I am confused, we "lost your business" because you were unclear on what cylinder pressure and its effects are?
Old 10-25-2013, 06:20 PM
11 Second Club

I'm not unclear on any thing.
Old 10-25-2013, 08:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My towel has been thrown in....
Old 10-25-2013, 08:53 PM
11 Second Club

Yeah mine to.
Old 10-26-2013, 09:00 AM
TECH Veteran

Im going to throw this out there....

Id guess that AES or ANY OTHER engine shop gets 100 phone calls a day from idiots asking if they build a motor, "how much psi can i run", ****, just look at the damn forum we are on? over run with the same questions, day in and day out...

Lets just assume for a second, these morons that call in ask this question, ask the same way most of the people on this board do...

"If i put a 70 or 76mm turbo on my car, how much psi can i throw at before the heads lift"

Then, i could probably see why they come up with this blanket statement....Is it 100% true... NO, not at all. Is it pretty close for 90% of applications? Probably so for most of these street cars.

Kind of like being a used car salesman... tire kickers everywhere....Somedays you just get tired of it and shove them off...

if you didnt agree with what he said, then why not question him on it?

Just my .02

I did, i questioned the **** out of them on every single thing they said to me... I still bought my motor from them...
Old 10-26-2013, 09:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by JAX04

Id guess that AES or ANY OTHER engine shop gets 100 phone calls a day from idiots asking if they build a motor, "how much psi can i run", ****, just look at the damn forum we are on? over run with the same questions, day in and day out...

Lets just assume for a second, these morons that call in ask this question, ask the same way most of the people on this board do...

"If i put a 70 or 76mm turbo on my car, how much psi can i throw at before the heads lift"

Then, i could probably see why they come up with this blanket statement....Is it 100% true... NO, not at all. Is it pretty close for 90% of applications? Probably so for most of these street cars.

Kind of like being a used car salesman... tire kickers everywhere....Somedays you just get tired of it and shove them off...

Just my .02

I did, i questioned the **** out of them on every single thing they said to me... I still bought my motor from them...
Same. And i'm a car salesman. Hahahaha. I think Mike probably hates me now with the amount of questions i've hit him with and still do.
Old 10-27-2013, 12:21 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JAX04

Just my .02

I could go along with that.

Quick Reply: AES 408 with PT91.5