Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Fast 102 VS single plane for boost?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 07:03 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fast 102 VS single plane for boost?

Well it looks like a holley high ram is not going to fit height wise and the fast 102 will but has some history of cracking under boost so that leaves sheetmetal or single plane. Sheetmetal is probably out of range so how bad to the single planes hurt power VS a Fast for a TT 427 build that will spin to around 7K?
Old 11-21-2013, 08:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Two more intakes that you might want to consider;

Edelbrock ProFlow & Holley Mid Ram.

The ProFlow is not as tall as the High Ram The Mid Ram might work I'm not sure if its limitations would be overcome being FI.

Good Luck
Old 11-21-2013, 08:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd probably steer away fromt the FAST intakes for boost. They really are amazing for N/A but the seal strength isn't there to run any appreciable amount of boost.

The LS6 is a cheap classic and good choice. Unless you are looking for crazy power.
Old 11-21-2013, 10:51 PM
TECH Resident

I'm running LS7 heads so i dont think any of the recommendations work.
Old 11-22-2013, 05:46 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by 6togo
Well it looks like a holley high ram is not going to fit height wise and the fast 102 will but has some history of cracking under boost so that leaves sheetmetal or single plane. Sheetmetal is probably out of range so how bad to the single planes hurt power VS a Fast for a TT 427 build that will spin to around 7K?
What makes you think a single plane would hurt power? There are guys out there that are straight flying with a Super Vic with an elbow and a TB mounted on the front. Just make sure your cam is speced for the intake set up you plan to run
Old 11-22-2013, 07:01 AM
TECH Resident

From what i read is the lack low and mid power compared to the Fast's its not a full out race car that will be wide open all the time. I do see lots of guys running that setup though just wondering if there is a cost i know FI is a little different and the gys saying there will be power lost may be NA.
Old 11-22-2013, 07:20 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by 6togo
From what i read is the lack low and mid power compared to the Fast's its not a full out race car that will be wide open all the time. I do see lots of guys running that setup though just wondering if there is a cost i know FI is a little different and the gys saying there will be power lost may be NA.
I think that is more of a NA concern and not so much a FI concern.
Old 11-22-2013, 08:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

There are alot of guys running FAST intakes. I thought the 102 is the better of them. I run the old 90 personally. What I can say is these LS motors are weak low mid range no boost part throttle compared to the old SBC motors. I am dang glad I didn't use a single plane on mine. The low and mid range of my current motor is so nice to drive. Far better than the stock motor and better than the 525 rwhp N/A motor I had before this one. I will give you I have only pushed mine to 16 psi but that made over 1000 rwhp so I'm happy. Don't forget if your building a good motor so you don't need crazy psi to get what you want. Much of the advice given here is by JY motor guys with less than adequate cams, heads, turbos, and mostly intercoolers.
There is a post recently about an 8 second street car. 3900#'s, 88mm turbo, only 17 psi, and the video shows an LS6 or stock type intake. These are the things most of this boards readers miss.

Last edited by 2000RATA; 11-23-2013 at 01:36 PM.
Old 11-22-2013, 09:16 PM
7 Second Club

I went 7.75@186 with the Fast 102 LSX-r Intake... I was making 24lbs of boost with a 106mm Single.

We really like the intake, but much more than 24lbs and we would break runners every so often.

Depending on the power level and boost you are running it may be just fine... I made 1800rwhp with it...
Old 11-22-2013, 09:39 PM
TECH Resident

I dont plan on going past 18psi worst case probablt quite a bit lower on the street! I just cant get the vision out of my head of the fast intake that blew apart ripping the fuel rails out causing fire and lots of paint damage that would really suck!
Old 11-22-2013, 09:57 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

no problems with a Single plane.....
you dont lose enough power down low for it to make any real difference...
I daily drove on one for years with no issues

and for forced induction its a better choice for both materials and for air distribution...
much easier to get the airflow in on a straighter path to the cylinders....

Air flows like a liquid...
in a FAST intake you have to go in and make a hard turn to get into the runners
with a Single plane it has to bend before it enters, but you have more space to straighten out and its only a gentle curve to go into the cylinders...

and the single plane intake shines from 6k up....
from 4k to 6k theres virtually no difference in a FAST 102 and a Super Victor

also, consider using a set of studs instead of bolts on the intake....
either buy some long threaded bolts that you can cut the heads off of, or order some threaded rod from McMaster Carr...it will help with sealing on a boosted setup and you wont have to worry about stripping a bolt hole or snapping a bolt off while trying to make sure you have enough torque on the intake to keep it sealed well.
Old 11-22-2013, 10:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm running a 427lsx and TT and guess what intake I'm running..... Stock ls7. You will blow that fast to pieces!!!!
Old 11-22-2013, 10:41 PM
TECH Resident

Sounds like the single plane is the one to use! I will probably send it out for porting also just to smooth it out! i'm not really crazy about any plastic intakes with boost just has disaster written all over it and i know many guys use them with no issues but that is not the way my luck runs!!!!!
Old 11-22-2013, 11:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Keep us posted on what intake you go with and performance.I have a fast 90 and have been contemplating on what to do as well.
Old 11-25-2013, 07:15 AM
TECH Resident

I been looking but do they not make any victor's for the LS7 the only ones i could find wee GM and Mast?
Old 11-25-2013, 07:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

It's good to see some folks on here pushing 20+psi though the FAST intakes. I just worry about when I go FI. When I took mine apart to deburr any flashing material I was suprised how thin the cover was. I think the 90/92 use thiker material than the 102. I also had to remove the rear bolt to get it to fit with my firewall. Another place to blow out.

I will probably sell off my 102 and go back to the LS6 intake when I do go FI. Sometime mid next year hopefully.
Old 11-25-2013, 11:31 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Exidous
It's good to see some folks on here pushing 20+psi though the FAST intakes. I just worry about when I go FI. When I took mine apart to deburr any flashing material I was suprised how thin the cover was. I think the 90/92 use thiker material than the 102. I also had to remove the rear bolt to get it to fit with my firewall. Another place to blow out.

I will probably sell off my 102 and go back to the LS6 intake when I do go FI. Sometime mid next year hopefully.
should have just dented the firewall....
its the right fix rather than not using a bolt...
Old 11-26-2013, 06:53 AM
TECH Resident

Ttt!!!!
Old 11-27-2013, 12:10 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I hate the bread box intakes that GM and Fast utilize.

A single plane is the best choice for making any real kind of power whether N/A, turbo, S/C or nitrous.

With the right cam timing, there is no loss of torque between the two.
Old 11-27-2013, 12:18 PM
8 Second Club

The big problem is people start with a cam and heads for the stock style intake...
Which makes good power for its relatively long runner lengths...

But the single plane intakes have a shorter runner length..which needs a very differently designed camshaft.

Then the decide to swap to a single plane and don't get a cam designed for it..
And then they bitch because they lose torque down low and it doesn't carry up as high as they think it should...when in reality they just have the wrong cam for the intake

Quick Reply: Fast 102 VS single plane for boost?