Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

First turbo build Pt88/4l80e/ac

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 04:45 AM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like PST for drive-shafts, I've ordered 2 from them, call on Monday at my house on Wednesday.
Old 02-17-2015, 12:14 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got the new drive shaft. Pst 3.5" aluminum from bob at brute speed.

Trying to do a little engine bay clean up. Wire mod and a ECM cover. Nothing major but I gotta do something with that catch can routing to clean it up!

Only concern is seems a little close to the TA for my liking. What's your opinion? Roughly 1/4 at the closest point.

Only other option I could do is lower the torque arm mount and cut the top of the bracket off giving me a little more clearance.
Old 02-17-2015, 01:28 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Thanks for the order! I don't see where the amount of clearance that you have will become a problem. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 02-18-2015, 04:28 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Bob@BruteSpeed
Thanks for the order! I don't see where the amount of clearance that you have will become a problem. Bob
Thanks for answering all my questions and concerns!

Had some extra fittings laying around so I was able to clean up the catch can routing a little bit.

Old 02-25-2015, 08:32 PM
TECH Regular

Debating on a wideband and a boost controller now. I'm thinking the afr500 and a boost leash. Then some gauges to monitor boost/Trans temp/water temp.

Need it either have my alternator powder coated or try to paint it myself. Was looking into buying a 140amp from summit that's already black. Can't use a truck alternator because if would contact my fuel line cross over.

Also umi got me driveshaft loop so I can modify my existing one instead of buying their new design. Their new design is great for exhaust clearance but hurts ground clears by another 1/2" in already scraps so while 1/2" May not seem like a lot I'd rather stick with the one I have and just add the loop myself.

Last edited by kylemm1002; 02-25-2015 at 08:38 PM.
Old 02-26-2015, 10:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kylemm1002
Stupid question.

Looking at getting these ctsv caliper powder coated. Do I just have to remove the pistons and seals? Since it bolts together I wasn't sure if there is a seal in there or something?
I shipped my Brembo calipers (2010 Camaro SS) to Mike The Powdercoater fully assembled...just wrapped them in some plastic to catch the residual fluid I couldn't remove myself.

He handled powdercoating and seals and whatnot...I just bolted them back on the car.

He advised against splitting them, said it'd make the powder crack.
Old 03-01-2015, 03:45 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Mike454SS
I shipped my Brembo calipers (2010 Camaro SS) to Mike The Powdercoater fully assembled...just wrapped them in some plastic to catch the residual fluid I couldn't remove myself.

He handled powdercoating and seals and whatnot...I just bolted them back on the car.

He advised against splitting them, said it'd make the powder crack.
Thanks! Talked to a local powder coater and got it figured out.

Finally the alternator looks decent.
Old 03-03-2015, 11:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

nice job!
Old 03-09-2015, 07:37 PM
TECH Regular

Well not a lot new with the car. Washed it up and put some miles on it this weekend. Nice to enjoy it. Did get a new addition to garage though! Super pumped about my new daily/tow rig. Now I've got two boosted rides.

Old 03-09-2015, 07:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

How does it feel when you get on it?
Is it spooling up slow?
Old 03-09-2015, 07:54 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Heavy H.P.
How does it feel when you get on it?
Is it spooling up slow?
Feels great. Spool really isn't bad. I think having the stock truck 4l80 converter is def holding me back. Can't really get on it as I'm still breaking in the s60.
Old 05-24-2015, 08:45 PM
TECH Regular

Ok need some ideas what the heck could be wrong with my car.
Warning long story!

Tuned by a very very reputable tuner.

Story:
Car had delco iridium plugs in it when it got tuned a while ago. No changes to hard parts since the tune. It was tuned making 5psi.
Fast forward 800 miles later. I turned up a little and thought crap I never changed the plugs. So I bought some br7ef gapped them at 25 and put them in. Ran like crap. Wouldn't idle well, wanted to surge while in gear. Died while in gear. I decided to put the old crappy plugs back in it just because. Idled better but while in the throttle it started blowing out spark so I let out.
So I tried a tr7 with a projected tip. Gapped at 28. Same results. Idled fine in N but in drive wanted to die (did die) surged. So I upped the idle using the screw on the TB a little. Didn't help so I turned it back down. Went and bought some hotter plugs to try (because why the heck not) tr6 this time gapped at 30. Same results. A little better bit that could just be in my head at this point. Hooked a scan tool and found out my iat was reading -40....thought that might be it. Replaced it tonight. Reading normal about 86* now but still the same issues. So I turned the idle back up a little and was a lot better. Still not right but better. It always seemed to be worse while hot and today I touched the coolant temp wires and it stumbled a few times. Coolant temp reads normal the entire time I'm driving it though also. IAC counts were 80 warmed in gear. Went a little lower after I manually turned the idle screw. O2s are switching from very low (30) to high (7xx). Tps 0% at idle steady increase with throttle.

I'm at a loss on where to look at this point. Any ideas?
Old 05-24-2015, 09:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

how far away is this very reputable tuner take it back then him. you can't just 'turn it up a little'

Originally Posted by kylemm1002
Ok need some ideas what the heck could be wrong with my car.
Warning long story!

Tuned by a very very reputable tuner.

Story:
Car had delco iridium plugs in it when it got tuned a while ago. No changes to hard parts since the tune. It was tuned making 5psi.
Fast forward 800 miles later. I turned up a little and thought crap I never changed the plugs. So I bought some br7ef gapped them at 25 and put them in. Ran like crap. Wouldn't idle well, wanted to surge while in gear. Died while in gear. I decided to put the old crappy plugs back in it just because. Idled better but while in the throttle it started blowing out spark so I let out.
So I tried a tr7 with a projected tip. Gapped at 28. Same results. Idled fine in N but in drive wanted to die (did die) surged. So I upped the idle using the screw on the TB a little. Didn't help so I turned it back down. Went and bought some hotter plugs to try (because why the heck not) tr6 this time gapped at 30. Same results. A little better bit that could just be in my head at this point. Hooked a scan tool and found out my iat was reading -40....thought that might be it. Replaced it tonight. Reading normal about 86* now but still the same issues. So I turned the idle back up a little and was a lot better. Still not right but better. It always seemed to be worse while hot and today I touched the coolant temp wires and it stumbled a few times. Coolant temp reads normal the entire time I'm driving it though also. IAC counts were 80 warmed in gear. Went a little lower after I manually turned the idle screw. O2s are switching from very low (30) to high (7xx). Tps 0% at idle steady increase with throttle.

I'm at a loss on where to look at this point. Any ideas?
Old 05-25-2015, 01:31 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
how far away is this very reputable tuner take it back then him. you can't just 'turn it up a little'
Ok next stupid question. Why? Already talking with the tuner to have him look at it. But if afr is right, and know getting any knock retard at wot what does that have to do with idle? I turned the car up a couple psi from 5psi to 8psi. The car ran great before the plug change. I just figured either something got messed up durring the change or the car must really hate the new plugs. Guess I didn't think going from a 5 to 7 heat range plug could cause idle issues in a car that was 100% perfect before that's all. I'll just take it down and have him give it a once over. Thanks for the insight David.
Old 05-26-2015, 07:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

check the plug wire resistance. if something happened on a plug change its the plugs or wires.

what i mean is you cant get it tuned for 5 then assume its safe at 8. not unless it was actually calibrated for 8 and then dialed back.

if you crack a piston it will definitely change how the engine runs all around.

you didn't say what iridium plug you were using, but an any rate a colder plug will usually not feel as crisp when driving, but i drove on 8's with 8.3:1 and was not bothered by it.

even if you are peeking at the tune, only the one that tuned it will be able to sense what went wrong based on where he left it.
Old 05-26-2015, 11:09 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
check the plug wire resistance. if something happened on a plug change its the plugs or wires.

what i mean is you cant get it tuned for 5 then assume its safe at 8. not unless it was actually calibrated for 8 and then dialed back.

if you crack a piston it will definitely change how the engine runs all around.

you didn't say what iridium plug you were using, but an any rate a colder plug will usually not feel as crisp when driving, but i drove on 8's with 8.3:1 and was not bothered by it.

even if you are peeking at the tune, only the one that tuned it will be able to sense what went wrong based on where he left it.
Makes sense. Going to recheck the wires. I sent him a log to see what he thinks. Probably just have it redone.
Went from a 5 iridium to all the plugs mentioned. I don't remember the parts number.
Thanks for the info.
Old 06-06-2015, 06:56 PM
TECH Regular

Quick pic leaving work with the new 275 40 18 drag radials. So far I really like the 40 series sidewall over the 35 it had before. Also logged the car and had the tuner make some adjustments. Every thing is looking good and idles great again.

Name:  F641251C-D9B0-425F-BBD8-E8C0691029FF_zpsidegrp0p.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  174.6 KB
Old 06-07-2015, 11:55 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cant believe i havent read your thread before. lol ill have to swing by sometime and see it!
Old 08-09-2015, 07:56 PM
TECH Regular

Just an update. And a to do list for myself lol.
Car is running good. Had some adjustments made in the tune and car feels good and idles good. Super sluggish from a dog because of the stock truck converter still.

Newest problem is I can't keep my iat sensor happy. Keeps throwing a code. I put a new one I today and 30 minutes later back on. The new sensor was working and I verified the iat readings and it turned my ses light off then 30min later back on. So guess I need to rip apart a portion of the harness and find my issue.

Also have a pretty good clunk going from D to R so I need to look into that also.

New (to me) cbr alternator bracket should be here this week to help my belt walk issue and I'll have make a new brace for my hot side because if the way it mounts.
Old 09-18-2015, 08:58 PM
TECH Regular

Found a pinched wire at the PCM for the iat. Fixed that issue and logged a pass at the track. With about 17psi worth of springs in the gate if will only make about 10psi, and was getting KR above 4700rpm or so. So needless to say it needs some attention.

Starting to gather parts, list includes:
Triple disc converter (undecided on brand yet)
Boost controller, looking at the G force 2. Would like leash with pulse but might be outta my budget
Alky control kit
New balancer
Ljms cam kit
Trans go kit for the 80e
O and swap in my low mileage lq4!

Hope to really get the car right this go around. Along the way I'll be cleaning up the under hood wiring and brake lines. Just in general underhood cleaning since I've never had the motor out of the car.

Quick Reply: First turbo build Pt88/4l80e/ac