Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Planning a 5.3 swap and turbo parts list

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 09:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah if you are already doing work on the bottom end Im pretty sure its cheaper to swap wheels rather than get the signal converter box.
Old 02-12-2014, 05:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just ordered the 24x wheel from Summit. Not to bad, 16 dollars. Called my machinist and he said Kessler than 50$ to swap them out.. Hope there isn't to many more of these surprises!
Old 04-16-2014, 08:54 PM
11 Second Club

Bumping this back up, updates since I posted in this thread last:

I picked up my new shortblock today, its an 03 5.3 with ~80k on it. In the process of getting the block boost ready, aside from my newer gen internals, I'm thinking of maybe doing some new gaskets rather than re using the ones from my ls1.

So far looking at an oil pan gasket, a set of ls9 headgaskets, a set of 4 ls2 lifter trays, a set of new ls7 lifters or maybe the btr lifters, undecided there. What other gaskets should I consider NOT reusable from my ls1 donor engine?

I'm gonna reuse the ls2 timing chain from my cam swap, the 241 heads, the dual springs in those heads, all the front accessories and what not. Being a gen3 block I wont have to deal with any of the other stuff discussed earlier in the thread.

I'm gonna have an engine builder (Chip Brunswick) get the shortblock all cleaned and prepped for me, and hopefuly can reuse the rings/bearings from the virtually new pistons and rods I got from atsmatt. I'm planning on getting the rotating assembly all balanced for the new pistons, and have the ring gaps set to what he feels is ideal for boost, maybe slightly on the looser side just in case.

I'm really debating going with either some arp headstuds, some of the Pro Comp studs (did they fix the machining errors yet?) or even some arp or gm headbolts if there's no need for studs.

Provided the block looks ok, I'm gonna have Martin Smallwood spec a cam for me.

I picked up some 1000cc injectors from Willizm, and I'm gonna ditch my aeromotive pump in favor of a dual walbro set up for e85 since the 340's seem hit or miss. -8 feed, stock feed as return, and will probably set my base pressure to around stock. Planning on this being enough fuel for ~800whp or slightly less, pretty much the limits of the internals and turbo really.

I think thats about covers where its all at, and some new questions to ponder.

Old 04-17-2014, 12:22 PM
TECH Resident

^^cant wait bud. This should be a fun ride once your all done.

Quick Reply: Planning a 5.3 swap and turbo parts list