Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Track Testing of the Cog belt w/in!

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2004 | 01:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Track Testing of the Cog belt w/in!

This is what the belt looked like after 1 pass. The belt held until the car shifted into third but I doubt that many teeth were still on at that point as my max boost was only 8.5psi on the memory playback on the digital gauge. I probably lost the majority of the teeth on the burnout and launch.
I was running a little less than 3/4 of an inch deflection on the belt. ALSO the crank cog moved away from the spokes on the stock balancer-pins didn't shear though. The crankbolt wasn't loose at all.
But still at only 8.5 psi and a stripped cog belt, the car bested its last eightmile time from last year, this thing is going to fly when I make the other 7psi.

Enjoy
J

Last edited by frcefed98; 05-08-2004 at 01:57 AM.
Old 05-08-2004 | 01:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Oh yeah, the sides of the belt were in excellent condition, looks like my alignment is dead on
Old 05-08-2004 | 02:02 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so what does this mean?

just have to get the tension right?
Old 05-08-2004 | 02:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

So what does this mean????? Chaindrive........ maybe.........
What this means is that these cogs require more patience than I have......I have given these ****** things too much time already.
I had a few stang guys that run cog set ups check out my belt tension and they said it was great. So who knows at this point. It could go either way, loosen it up or tighten it more down......I am out of ideas.....let me know what you think. I am ready to throw these cogs in a ditch. The car ran great though
J
Old 05-08-2004 | 03:13 AM
8 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do you think you need a bigger bov?
Old 05-08-2004 | 10:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

I was thinking I had enough BOV with the HKS BOV, maybe I need two or run a godzilla or ATI raceready.
I knew it was toast in the burnout box, the car started to turn sideways on me so I let off the gas to get the car straight again instead of easing off the throttle like I normally do.
J
Old 05-08-2004 | 11:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by frcefed98
So what does this mean????? Chaindrive........ maybe.........
What this means is that these cogs require more patience than I have......I have given these ****** things too much time already.
I had a few stang guys that run cog set ups check out my belt tension and they said it was great. So who knows at this point. It could go either way, loosen it up or tighten it more down......I am out of ideas.....let me know what you think. I am ready to throw these cogs in a ditch. The car ran great though
J
Damn dude that sucks........ I hope these 8 rib belts last and we see the boost we want to see...... what are you going to try to fix the teeth from being eatin off?
Kyle
Old 05-08-2004 | 11:27 AM
8 Second Club

most likely you should run two bov's.
i have the vortech mondo BOV and i'm thinking of getting another one.
Old 05-08-2004 | 12:19 PM
TECH Resident

I know I must be missing something but how come all the slippage and belt issues seem to be ATI guys. Does Paxton have their system figured out? Or do they have belt slippage issues as well? Is ATI more popular because of higher flow #'s. I've seen the ATI's put down over 600 to the wheels without much else but they all seemed to develop belt slip issues. The last one had it's own tensioner set up around the blower and still slipped.

Total bummer sorry to hear of your troubles.
Old 05-08-2004 | 12:37 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So whats the consensus Jer?

Going to give it one more shot? You going to the track next week?

It was good meeting you! Your so close man!
Old 05-08-2004 | 12:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

that's crazy . I don't understand what's going on with these ATI'S.
I can get 13psi no problem with an old 8rib belt on my vortech and have seen 15psi a few times when I really over revved it. I replace a belt once a year and they still have some life left in them.
I might see a smidge of belt dust. About as much as a single shake of a salt shaker after a hard run. I run a single mondo valve.
Is the higher internal step up ratio of the ati blowers a factor here?
Steve
Old 05-08-2004 | 02:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Kyle- Sup man? been awhile, is your car almost ready to start ripping stuff up? As for how I am going to keep these teeth on the belt, I honestly don't know. I expected the belt to last longer than that. At 35 bucks a pop, its a kick in the ***** to have it eat the teeth off the belt.....and it didn't last until the 1/8mi marker

Dirty- If I am going to spend 299-350+ on another BOV, I might as well spend that money with SD and get their 8 rib or see if I can push their 6 rib to 15psi. I am soooo close to my goal now, I cannot turn back or give up and go another route-NA or N2O.
I still have my MMS pulley and a 3.4 pulley that I can use with the SD 6 rib spring tensioner set up and that should net me 15psi at 6800-7100rpm.
But who knows at this point cash is low....I will see how the cog set up performs with a new belt this coming friday.

Ripped427 don't mind the questions at all, The ATI LS1 F-body kit is a poor design for getting more than 10+psi. The belt wrap is very weak...**** even my powerdyne had better belt wrap than this kit and that is no joke. Their aluminum bracket is in need of a support because it flexes so bad. My bracket was warped from it flexing with the 6 rib stuff. I had to step up to a steel bracket, this thing doesn't flex at all The way ATI has the crank pulleys held to the stock balancer is a joke. They could have thought those pins out better. Now the C5 ATI kits, much better belt wrap set up, but still in need of modifications to squeeze more psi out.

SSCAM-Frank, Finally was able to put the face to the screen name. It was great to meet you. Thanks for hanging out with me and Josh for the whole night-good to meet scott too. Too bad I could only make one run. I would've like to shown what she can do. Its a shame the cog belt decided not to play. I will be there this coming friday, I can taste those 10's now and I want them more than ever

SJH- Yep way crazy, I couldn't believe it myself, when the car nosed over on the 2-3 shift, I immediately got off the gas cause I thought the tranny let go and coasted the rest of the way to the finish line. When I got it back to the pits we checked everything from vacuum lines to intercooler hoses and clamps. Finally my skinny buddy Josh got his *** under the car and felt that the belt had no teeth on it. I gave him a razor blade to cut it off for a closer inspection. I was hoping that a few teeth survived, but nope not a single one left on it, it is stripped CLEAN
I was able to eek out 12psi with my MMS and a 3.2 but the boost was inconsistant, 12psi one run 8psi the next, then it would snap the lil 6 ribs-always a crap shoot. Vortech really did their home work on their set up The step up ratio might be a factor but I definately think its the bracket-s/c placement that has to do with all these problems, the step up might just magnify the problem. I will get there though
J
Old 05-08-2004 | 02:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Prolly what my belt looked like during the pass
http://www.blackout.nu/movies/Beltproblem.mpg

Looks like this guy had/s belt problems too.
On cz28.com there is a guy named TonyJ with an LT1 with ASP cogs that had the same problem, belt stripped clean on the dyno though.
J
Old 05-08-2004 | 02:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah man, anytime! It was good to meet PNYKILR finally as well.

I'll PM you towards the end of the week and see if your still going out there. Would love to see that run! I will probably be there with Scott anyways, he's working on getting some suspension issues worked out.

Hey if all else fails you can try a pantyhose , used it to limp a car home one time
Old 05-08-2004 | 03:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

From the look of the vid my guess it the setup needs a spring tensioner.
Old 05-08-2004 | 04:47 PM
On The Tree

I don't think turbo cars have this problem??? Just a thought Jeremy. When you go out this weekend, just try your tires psi at 10. When you go on telling me"what are you talking about 10 pounds" Doesn't make me feel to good. I was just trying to help out. That's why I didn't hang with you the rest of the night. I was cheering for you though. You just made it seem like I didn't know what I was talking about. I don't seem to have any traction problem. I'm sure you get the point here. when someone gives me some advise, I try it. I really think you'll run better. Maybe more suspention tunning is need. Who knows. Good luck this weekend.

Neal
Old 05-08-2004 | 06:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well my car will hit the dyno......monday or tuesday....

So we will see how it goes.....
Old 05-08-2004 | 09:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Frank, I'll keep you posted. It was great to finally go to the track and meet up with some LS1/LT1 F-body guys and actually hang out and shoot the ****, you guys the guys from Arizona/shiprock and the others were all cool. Panty hose, **** they'll probably work better than the cog belt lol I still can't get over that VW Karman Ghia pulling both wheels but only ran 13's...reminded me of another car....:wink:

Neal, Dude your joking right? Traction I didn't remember that being a problem.

You're taking what I said too serious....come on now, when am I serious about anything I say? Besides, you never hang out with us anyway so its not a big deal I appreciate the advice I really do, but I know what works with my car and let you know that anything with anything less than 16psi the car just spins em and gets real loose on the topend. I know whats best for my car. 1.70-1.59's on a stock rear is plenty good for me. Oh yeah back on topic because traction wasn't or isn't an issue, its the COG BELT. Turbo, yeah I would if I could but I can't so I won't. The S/C gets the job done......most of the time. 11's are fun in a f-body you should try them sometime. I still luv you man.

Good to hear Bos, I also need to get this biatch on the dyno....need to get NoGo a a/f graph at WOT so he can fine tune it. Now time to order another cog belt in the mean time.....
Old 05-09-2004 | 12:54 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,241 Likes on 792 Posts

Z8's did that a few times with his cog setup until he got it right.
Old 05-09-2004 | 09:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 1dirtyZ
do you think you need a bigger bov?

I was wondering the same thing. I kinda think this is the issue at hand. Although, Im no S/C expert it makes whole heck of a lot sense to me. How much larger should he go or should he just get another blow off valve of the same make as he has now?

Also, if running too small of a BOV, would it do damage to the s/c itself and in turn to the the engine? Would hate to see anything happen to this set up.

Eric Bazan