Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

How many guys run 2-3 fuel pumps all the same time

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 11:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read all the pages. I have run two A-1000's. One on a hobbs switch, and one all the time. I am now running a Holley 1800 Dominator which is two pumps in one. I run both pumps at the same time. I have always run the pump off a toggle switch. This year my plan was to put my A-1000 back on and run it all the time as a single. It would still be on a toggle switch. My Holley would be on a seperate toggle switch. My plan was to do the burnout, after the burnout flip the Holley pump on (wired together) to make a pass, after the pass, flip the toggle switch off on the holley pump just after the pass.

I only run 10lbs of boost on the street so the A1000 is more than enough, at the track I plan to turn it up to as much as 28lbs and am on E85, so the Holley wired together and also on a toggle switch seems like the best option.

Would this not be the easiest way? And would'nt this keep the fuel the coolest street driving? I have a one way valve to put on the Holley so it would stop flow that direction while not running.
Old 01-14-2014, 01:22 PM
Launching!

I run twin walboro 450s all the time and drive mine regularly on the street and have had no issues.
Old 01-14-2014, 01:55 PM
Formerly 4mulaJoe

My fuel system "kit" had them wired together. Dual walbro 255's. Didn't really have an issue except them getting noisy on 1 hr+ drives. That decreased dramatically when I wired the second one to be activated by the eboost2. Just seems logical to me.

Most logical reasons have been listed. 1 other thing about having 1 pump for cruise and another for boost is a 50% chance of not being able to miss a pump failure. You have to keep an eye on things running dual pumps, but you may as well put odds in your favor.
Old 01-14-2014, 03:44 PM
gpr
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What gauge of wire is everyone using that have 2 pumps wired on all the time? I had the ractronix hot wire and 255 pump, so I added a second walboro and simply used the hotwire kit and relay to turn both pumps on. I'm loosing pressure at higher rpms/boost, and am guessing its cause of voltage drop.

I am going to completely rewire the system, just wondering how large of a wire to run. I'd like to keep it simple and run one big wire from the alternator to the relay in back (which is a 40amp relay so should be plenty), then run two wires out of the relay, one to each pump.
Old 01-14-2014, 04:34 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Use wire and connectors appropriate for the current and wire length used

A Pair of Walbros might draw in the region of 20A or so.

What fuel pressure are you running, what plumbing, what FPR, boost referenced ? And how much is it dropping ?
Old 01-14-2014, 05:25 PM
gpr
TECH Enthusiast

I think the one wire coming from the alternator in the hot wire kit simply isn't enough for two 255L pumps. this is what i want to change and see if it helps.

I have it set at 58psi base pressure then increase with boost. It will raise up to about 62psi then start falling off back down to 45ish by the end of the run.

I am using stock feed line, then have a fuel pressure regulator off the shrader of the fuel rails which is then connected into the evap as a return.
Old 01-14-2014, 05:37 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by gpr
I think the one wire coming from the alternator in the hot wire kit simply isn't enough for two 255L pumps. this is what i want to change and see if it helps.

I have it set at 58psi base pressure then increase with boost. It will raise up to about 62psi then start falling off back down to 45ish by the end of the run.

I am using stock feed line, then have a fuel pressure regulator off the shrader of the fuel rails which is then connected into the evap as a return.
58psi base, and the FPR is boost referenced to the intake ? And it only rises to 62psi ?

Are you only using 4psi of boost ?

What size is the wire you're using ?

There is no way fuel pressure should be doing what you describe.
Old 01-14-2014, 05:59 PM
gpr
TECH Enthusiast

Yes, raising rate fuel pressure regulator reference from the intake manifold. The pressure starts rising but after 4psi of boost the fuel pumps aren't keeping up and the fuel pressure starts to fall. (I am currently only hitting about 6-8psi of boost)

I am running e85, but was told I should have more than enough pump. i also verified both pumps are working.

Racetronix hotwire kit uses 10GA wire.

I got power for the second pump from the connector they have for the BAP.

Quick Reply: How many guys run 2-3 fuel pumps all the same time