Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Turbo 6.0 nova 4l80e holley efi.

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 09:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ron , I thought about runnig mine out the front like my fairmont but I'm trying to make this thing as quiet as possiable inside the car . The fairmont isn't that loud inside I drive it everywhere but id like to see how it sounds all the way out back on my nova. I wish you lived closer Ron I'd hook you up defintly us turbo guys gotta help each other out you know. Haha!
Old 01-09-2014, 12:01 AM
8 Second Club

Received 700 Likes on 441 Posts

Originally Posted by Twin turbo c5
Ron , I thought about runnig mine out the front like my fairmont but I'm trying to make this thing as quiet as possiable inside the car . The fairmont isn't that loud inside I drive it everywhere but id like to see how it sounds all the way out back on my nova. I wish you lived closer Ron I'd hook you up defintly us turbo guys gotta help each other out you know. Haha!
Oregon is far away from everything, except Washington.
I might end up under the car too. Was just hoping to eliminate the weight and cost of doing that right now.
I had dual 3.5" on with the big block, with 4 mufflers and tail pipes. Over 100 lbs, and it was still loud!
Old 01-09-2014, 06:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah I never could quiet down my bbc either. Your probably doing the right thing by not running out tha back I'm probably gonna end up just dumping it. But I thought I'd give it a try with some free stainless. Lol! One thing I like about just dumping by the front tire is that there no drone at cruise speeds.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Gettin my dp pieced together . It's made outta stainless water pipe from a plant in my hometown . That's why there's so many vband flanges. They actually come in handy already made on the pipe saves some welding I would have to do. Some vbands I just welded up solid .

Turbo 6.0 nova 4l80e holley efi.-image-3984732901.jpg
Old 01-09-2014, 11:07 PM
Teching In

Looking good!!
Old 01-10-2014, 05:22 AM
9 Second Club

Received 181 Likes on 96 Posts

i built a 3.5 dp and made a 3" y pipe and hooked up my dual 3" exaust with tailpipes and it sounds good . if i close the hood you whould never know it has a turbo at idle. has not been down the road yet but im sure it will be quiet.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I was planing on making a y then go into two mufflers but I think I'm gonna go 4 inch all the way to the back and put a few straight through mufflers in sequence. And see how that works .
Old 01-10-2014, 08:02 AM
9 Second Club

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I have dual 3" pipes run out to the fuel tank with 3-chamber Flowmasters. The turbo engine is noticeably quieter than the old SBC. My Magnafuel pump is louder than the exhaust at idle and cruise. I really like having the full exhaust but I am thinking about replacing the 3-chamber mufflers with a straight through design for less back pressure. Another idea is to try adding mufflers to the wastegates since I currently just dump them to atmosphere. If they were quieter you probably could barely hear my car going down the track.

Old 01-10-2014, 08:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Looks nice!
Old 01-10-2014, 11:51 AM
8 Second Club

Here comes the Nova guys.....
Old 01-10-2014, 12:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Chevy406
I have dual 3" pipes run out to the fuel tank with 3-chamber Flowmasters. The turbo engine is noticeably quieter than the old SBC. My Magnafuel pump is louder than the exhaust at idle and cruise. I really like having the full exhaust but I am thinking about replacing the 3-chamber mufflers with a straight through design for less back pressure. Another idea is to try adding mufflers to the wastegates since I currently just dump them to atmosphere. If they were quieter you probably could barely hear my car going down the track.

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLtZamkbHRo
I'm sure that thing is quiet . I'm just trying to find a happy medium. My corvette was twin turbo with full exhaust out the back with borla's and it sounded awesome . I'm trying to eliminate alot of drone at cruise speeds too. This will be driven alot so trying to make it a comfortable as possiable .
Old 01-10-2014, 12:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Also chevy406 your car sounds awesome !!. That thing is laying down some good et's even with the 3 chambers.
Old 01-10-2014, 01:15 PM
TECH Resident

Nova builder checking in...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...urbo-nova.html
Old 01-10-2014, 01:44 PM
8 Second Club

Received 734 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by Twin turbo c5
Yeah I never could quiet down my bbc either. Your probably doing the right thing by not running out tha back I'm probably gonna end up just dumping it. But I thought I'd give it a try with some free stainless. Lol! One thing I like about just dumping by the front tire is that there no drone at cruise speeds.
Hard to get things quiet with such large piping and mufflers. IMO the trick is smaller piping and a restrictive OEM style mufflers. Run your 3-4" downpipe with a dump. Then make a T merge off that with some dinky crush bent 2" exhaust back to OEM style mufflers and it will be quiet as a kitten.

This is Zbrowns setup. Something similar with a 3" DP to a dump and 2" piping to the rear of the car would be perfect.

I ran a 3" dp to a 4" electric dump. Then through factory 2" dual exhaust with 2 OEM silencers and 2 mufflers on my lexus. It looked and sounded OEM.

http://s17.photobucket.com/user/Hybr..._2860.mp4.html
Old 01-10-2014, 03:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Forcefed86

Hard to get things quiet with such large piping and mufflers. IMO the trick is smaller piping and a restrictive OEM style mufflers. Run your 3-4" downpipe with a dump. Then make a T merge off that with some dinky crush bent 2" exhaust back to OEM style mufflers and it will be quiet as a kitten.

This is Zbrowns setup. Something similar with a 3" DP to a dump and 2" piping to the rear of the car would be perfect.

I ran a 3" dp to a 4" electric dump. Then through factory 2" dual exhaust with 2 OEM silencers and 2 mufflers on my lexus. It looked and sounded OEM.

http://s17.photobucket.com/user/Hybr..._2860.mp4.html
Thanks for that pic that gave me some good ideas. I think I'm gonna continue with my 4 inch till I get to about the back tire and dump it with a electric cutout then continue with maybe 3inch to a single muffler or maybe two out the rear should be super quiet cruising through town.
Old 01-10-2014, 03:39 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Chevy406

This is an old image I found years ago, I think it's from Vizard about muffler designs. Not sure how accurate it is. And of course there will be various chambered designs too

As far as noise goes though, I found the straight through style actually quietened my car more than a Magnaflow chambered muffler ( I tried a pair at the rear, of exact same outer dimensions to see which were quietest. Just stuck with straight through as they were quietest. )
Old 01-10-2014, 04:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think honestly I'm gonna do a electric cutout. I've never wanted to use one but I think I can have the best of both worlds . I've had 4 different turbo cars over the last 10 years or so and I've had every different exhaust combo you could imagine . And it'll make it easier on me running 3 inch pipe to the back instead of 4 . But I'm gonna keep the down pipe I just made incase later I wanta go back to running 4 inch out the back.
Old 01-10-2014, 04:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Back to square one at the welding table.

Turbo 6.0 nova 4l80e holley efi.-image-3640986846.jpg
Old 01-11-2014, 04:30 AM
8 Second Club

That's was Vizards article. Back when he was discussing "no loss" exhaust

Twin, we think alike. Miller welder and an old area rug on the grudge floor. Although I have cats, no dogs.

Old 01-11-2014, 08:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RonSSNova
That's was Vizards article. Back when he was discussing "no loss" exhaust

Twin, we think alike. Miller welder and an old area rug on the grudge floor. Although I have cats, no dogs.

Oh yeah I love miller welders. Yeah those garage floors get cold makes it nice to lay on a nice soft rug under the car doesn't it?

Quick Reply: Turbo 6.0 nova 4l80e holley efi.