Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

OBX Shorty headers for Turbo setup

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 06:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Thumbs down I asked about..

Originally Posted by Forcefed86
Gotcha, 1 3/4 is still to large for most LS platforms. And a 3" collector/hotside is overkill. Not saying it won't work. If they are just easier than OEM manifolds for packaging etc and your building a street toy where performance isn't the main factor then go for it. I'm just saying from a performance aspect a set of OEM manifolds will work better and be stronger. The plug comment was more directed towards flipping the OEM manifolds forward facing. Everything fits much nicer if you leave it the way it was meant to be run is all.
Them producing a 1 5/8" set. I made the comment that the 1.75 was too big for most street apps....Never got a response.
I guess Ho chi Min doesn't read his email....
Old 01-26-2014, 05:21 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i was throwing this out there because im trying to figure out a good was to run twins with the manifolds/headers facing forward while keeping the AC. I have seen some of the ebay up and forward headers modified to fit in the camaro engine bay as well. I want to see if there is a way to possibly squeeze a pipe between the water pump outlets going to the heater core and the alternator/whatever else may be mounted on the PS cyl head. it looks as if the OBX shorty has small enough primaries and the turn down looks about 2.5 in or so... i would want to cut them off and run a V-band flange facing strait forward. I have seen pics of truck manifolds that had the same thing done to them as well.... just trying to think outside the box on this a little
Old 01-26-2014, 06:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with forcefed. I had those headers and decided against using them due to the size. I am pretty sure they were 1 7/8 primaries, but the 3" collector was huge. I sold them and bought some ls universal swap headers. They hug the block better and face down to begin with unlike those other ones that come straight out. They look like drag boat headers! Would have been good for a twin turbo setup though.
Old 01-26-2014, 06:55 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i like the thought of stepping it down to a 2 1/2"collector with a v'band and am thinking of doing the same. i don't think it will hurt with the 1 7/8" primaries as it will only take a moment to get the exhaust to fill them up and get flowing while on the brake and once you get going, shouldn't be any reason why they wont allow it to continue moving the exhaust to the turbine as needed when going through the 2.5" tubes. so far, this is the route i'm most likely going with for my twin setup.
Old 01-26-2014, 08:10 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why not just reduce the 3" collector to a 2.25. The obx style headers I have are 1.75" primaries and I was just gonna reduce the collector to 2.25 to jelp with spooling. And I couldnt use the truck manifolds flipped because of frame clearance and steering box clearance.

Quick Reply: OBX Shorty headers for Turbo setup