Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

OLSD - Hptuners guys, iat fueling fix?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 07:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmmm, I will have to take a closer look to where my afr goes while driving and sitting at the lights. I have essentially blamed the 80lb injectors for an inconsistent idle. It will idle deadly at one stop light, low at the next and high at the next lol.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:19 AM
7 Second Club

Received 301 Likes on 201 Posts

Yup, cylinder charge bias tables work OK but making sure the IAT sensor doesn't heatsoak works the best from what I've found regardless if it's the older OS (97-00) or the newer Gen3 operating systems.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:30 AM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by NicD
Yup, cylinder charge bias tables work OK but making sure the IAT sensor doesn't heatsoak works the best from what I've found regardless if it's the older OS (97-00) or the newer Gen3 operating systems.

and it usually is more of a problem with the IAT sensor getting hat soaked....
as the air passing across it usually is not near as hot as the sensor is.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:41 AM
8 Second Club

Received 700 Likes on 441 Posts

The actual sensor element itself, hangs in the air inside the little plastic cage. I'm assuming you have the screw in IAT and cut the bung down so the cage is fully in the air stream.

I would think that if installed correctly, and the engine is running, heat soak would not be an issue?

Of course it will depend on the response time of the sensor itself. I remember reading that you can change the thermistor itself to a faster responding part, I'm trying to find that info. You have to be good with a soldering iron though.

I'm just puzzled about the heat soak given the construction of the sensor itself.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:55 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by RonSSNova
The actual sensor element itself, hangs in the air inside the little plastic cage. I'm assuming you have the screw in IAT and cut the bung down so the cage is fully in the air stream.

I would think that if installed correctly, and the engine is running, heat soak would not be an issue?

Of course it will depend on the response time of the sensor itself. I remember reading that you can change the thermistor itself to a faster responding part, I'm trying to find that info. You have to be good with a soldering iron though.

I'm just puzzled about the heat soak given the construction of the sensor itself.
its a common issue....
the sensor responds great when it has air constantly moving across it...
but at low air speeds, it is compromised by its own casing transferring heat to the thermistor....

there is no way around it with such a confined space and budget sensors.

you could make one that doesnt transfer heat...but nobody wants a $500 IAT sensor

heat soak is all in the sensors....causing them to read incorrectly...
the air itself doesnt actually heat soak...its moving far too quickly to gain any heat from "heat soak" in that short of a time
Old 02-06-2014, 12:17 PM
8 Second Club

I understand how the sensor works.

I know the MAF with the IAT built in soak bad and are slow to respond.
It simply seems that the screw in unit with the element essentially hanging in the air stream should be less prone to soak.

Ron
Old 02-06-2014, 12:20 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by RonSSNova
I understand how the sensor works.

I know the MAF with the IAT built in soak bad and are slow to respond.
It simply seems that the screw in unit with the element essentially hanging in the air stream should be less prone to soak.

Ron
I use it because it responds a little bit faster...and it is a screw in type so no worries with boost....

but it is made of metal...and it does heat soak just the same.
its better because of the faster responding thermistor...but it still has heatsoak issues
Old 02-06-2014, 01:52 PM

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

ill try the cyl charge bias today

and then im going right for the resistor

and looking for twin 02 sensors to throw in
Old 02-06-2014, 02:08 PM
8 Second Club

Received 725 Likes on 532 Posts

Aren't the GM based tables basically going off ambient temps? There shouldn't be rapid changes in ambient temps. I can see why changing locations to charge piping would drive the tune all over the place.

Wouldn't your tables be alot closer if you mounted the IAT right at the turbo inlet/airfilter? Are you using IAT sensor temps to pull timing?

With your timing being so conservative and driven off your custom MAP, I'd try installing the sensor some where it won't get heat soaked and has open airflow to it. That way it will only make slight adjustments based on outside air temps.
Old 02-06-2014, 02:13 PM
8 Second Club

Received 725 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by denmah
ill try the cyl charge bias today

and then im going right for the resistor

and looking for twin 02 sensors to throw in
Every WB02 I've seen has a NB output? Can't you just delete all your AFT 02 sensor codes regardless of the bank, just set them to "do not report error". Then wire your NB output wire to the front 02 sensor input to the ECM?
Old 02-06-2014, 02:36 PM
8 Second Club

I will have to pay attention to logs when I get up and running.
Thinking I should have used 3" PVC for my IC piping! :-)
Old 02-06-2014, 05:31 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Forcefed86
Aren't the GM based tables basically going off ambient temps? There shouldn't be rapid changes in ambient temps. I can see why changing locations to charge piping would drive the tune all over the place.

Wouldn't your tables be alot closer if you mounted the IAT right at the turbo inlet/airfilter? Are you using IAT sensor temps to pull timing?

With your timing being so conservative and driven off your custom MAP, I'd try installing the sensor some where it won't get heat soaked and has open airflow to it. That way it will only make slight adjustments based on outside air temps.
GM IAT tables are based off of the IAT sensor...in the intake tubing...
ambient temp sensor is only on newer vehicles that report outside temeratures from a seperate sensor that is for creature comfort and doesnt really control anything except for a thermometer display on the dash

the problem is that the IAT sensor in the intake tubing is often times skewed by engine heat warming up the housing and skewing actual values...
the thermistor in the end is sensitive enough that you get quite a big swing between sitting still and rolling down the road.
and unfortunately because of its compact design and physical limits to keep it cost effective, this also means it has design flaws which allow it to transfer some of the body heat to the thermistor itself...causeing skewed readings.

some of the OP's problem may be related to the tune, and adjusting some of the parameters to add fuel or remove fuel based on IAT... Most people dont even know how to data log that and usually dont even try to correct for IAT based fueling issue...
but its just as important as the rest of the tune...

unfortunately, its not a fast process to adjust those tables....it takes some time to get the right data to be able to mess with them...
and you have to get the IAT bias problem solved as well or your data is going to be crap anyways.
Old 02-06-2014, 05:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by soundengineer
GM IAT tables are based off of the IAT sensor...in the intake tubing...
ambient temp sensor is only on newer vehicles that report outside temeratures from a seperate sensor that is for creature comfort and doesnt really control anything except for a thermometer display on the dash

the problem is that the IAT sensor in the intake tubing is often times skewed by engine heat warming up the housing and skewing actual values...
the thermistor in the end is sensitive enough that you get quite a big swing between sitting still and rolling down the road.
and unfortunately because of its compact design and physical limits to keep it cost effective, this also means it has design flaws which allow it to transfer some of the body heat to the thermistor itself...causeing skewed readings.

some of the OP's problem may be related to the tune, and adjusting some of the parameters to add fuel or remove fuel based on IAT... Most people dont even know how to data log that and usually dont even try to correct for IAT based fueling issue...
but its just as important as the rest of the tune...

unfortunately, its not a fast process to adjust those tables....it takes some time to get the right data to be able to mess with them...
and you have to get the IAT bias problem solved as well or your data is going to be crap anyways.
Where could a person read up more on tuning this end of thinks?
Old 02-06-2014, 05:37 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by ls1_chevelle
Where could a person read up more on tuning this end of thinks?
Just do a search on IAT bias tuning.....plenty of results pop up on Google.
Old 02-07-2014, 02:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My screw in style IAT is behind my foglight in the charge pipe right after the IC.

Just extended the wiring a little. When cruising down the road I see within a 2-3* above ambient. In stop and go the temps will rise slightly and just idling the temp rises into the 120s when its 90*+ outside.

Whenever I sit say when I'm live tuning the VE table I think the compressor housing starts to actually transfer heat into the air since the air flow is minimal at idle thus heat soaking the fmic and the iat begins to see that.

if you mounted your iat like mine far from the motor I don't think you'll get the false heat soak of the sensor it's self anymore. Instead you will still see when the air actually starts to get hot like on mine.

also once you start driving again and are is flowing through the turbo and the fmic the temps trickle back down 1-2* maybe say every 5 sec. or so. I'd say it responds quickly

Last edited by 95bowtie; 02-07-2014 at 02:35 AM.
Old 02-07-2014, 10:27 AM
8 Second Club

its almost never pipe/compressor heatsoak that you see...the air is moving too quickly for that
its a combo of the IAT sensor being heatsoaked, and your intake sucking in hot air from the engine bay

this is why the IAT bias is so important....because its not heatoak... the air is not getting warm because you are going slow...its actually warm air that everything is seeing, plus a skewed IAT because the IAT sensor itself does heatsoak

even with an air filter seemingly outside the engine bay...when you are sitting still, the heated engine bay air bellows out all directions...and will get to your intake opening.
Old 02-07-2014, 10:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by soundengineer
Just do a search on IAT bias tuning.....plenty of results pop up on Google.
Thanks for the search chain to use, as I was unsure on how to word it.
Old 02-07-2014, 10:52 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by ls1_chevelle
Thanks for the search chain to use, as I was unsure on how to word it.
I never said "use this exact wording"...
you are going to have to figure out for yourself what yields results that might be useful...

but if the results show HP tuners as the site it links to...theres a good chance it will have something useful.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:54 PM

I messed around with the bistable quite a bit yesterday and could not come to a setting that I like what I ended up doing was installing a 4.7 K om resistor in the wiring which showed 57 degrees Fahrenheit and I drove the car around for an hour but like 60 miles on the car and the tuna spot on everything was great I had no variance is even letting it idle for 20 minutes at one point in a parking lot everything was happy and I know that isn't ideal for a lot of people and some others might even think it's stupid but I know these combinations really well and how far I can push them safety wise I can always check the attempts on a bowl on the dyno or at the racetrack and obviously I'm not going to beat the **** out of the car when its 20 degrees outside also if I'm concerned I can just install a methanol kit and I 80 is are almost the relevant at that point
Old 02-07-2014, 01:54 PM

please forgive my talk to text spelling errors while I Drive haha

Quick Reply: OLSD - Hptuners guys, iat fueling fix?