Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Lingenfelter intercooled intake for a turbo application?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 11:44 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't want to hyjack this thread too much so I'll post what I'm building separately soon.
Old 03-20-2014, 06:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 427
That Lingenfelter looks good for the height, very cool

Kurt
Kurt, or anyone else, have you seen the lower section of the intake? it would be interesting to see how longer the runner length is. my guess is its basically a supercharger lower with a thicker core installed.

I wound if a intake could be design like the Eforce supercharger setup. This has approx 12inch of runner. You could use the stock Change cooler bricks and a larger additional one in place of the supercharger. This would keep the overall height of the intake low (eforce fits under the stock Corvette hood)but still ive plenty of intercooling core in there. just a thought.

Chris.

EDIT: just found pics of the Camaro Steve posted (link didn't work for some reason. Looks like the LPE intake uses a supercharger lower with VERY short (if any actually) runners. How is this going to impact low end performance on a turbo / centri setup?

Last edited by chuntington101; 03-20-2014 at 08:25 AM.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:48 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The short runners won't hurt much in boost, but will suffer when building boost. It does look like they used a blower base, probably trying to stay low and keep the intercooler thickness up so the cooling ability would be high as possible. I built one out of the Magnuson catherdral crossing intake that had runner length in the late 90's. It did not work great at RPM because the cross section was small, but low speed TQ was good. I have one that has length and intercooler, but 3 years in it still does not exist yet except for mock up!

Kurt
Originally Posted by chuntington101
Kurt, or anyone else, have you seen the lower section of the intake? it would be interesting to see how longer the runner length is. my guess is its basically a supercharger lower with a thicker core installed.

I wound if a intake could be design like the Eforce supercharger setup. This has approx 12inch of runner. You could use the stock Change cooler bricks and a larger additional one in place of the supercharger. This would keep the overall height of the intake low (eforce fits under the stock Corvette hood)but still ive plenty of intercooling core in there. just a thought.

Chris.

EDIT: just found pics of the Camaro Steve posted (link didn't work for some reason. Looks like the LPE intake uses a supercharger lower with VERY short (if any actually) runners. How is this going to impact low end performance on a turbo / centri setup?
Old 03-20-2014, 11:31 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 427
The short runners won't hurt much in boost, but will suffer when building boost. It does look like they used a blower base, probably trying to stay low and keep the intercooler thickness up so the cooling ability would be high as possible. I built one out of the Magnuson catherdral crossing intake that had runner length in the late 90's. It did not work great at RPM because the cross section was small, but low speed TQ was good. I have one that has length and intercooler, but 3 years in it still does not exist yet except for mock up!

Kurt
Thank for the response Kurt!

That's the issue with trying to package a lot of stuff into a very small space, something always has to give! If you look at the volume of the runners in the NRE intake there is no way of making them fit with a decent sized intercooler brick(s) and still making it compact. The question is is what can you get away with and what is going to cause problems?
Old 03-20-2014, 01:41 PM
Truck Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We used a cast top.
And on a cowl hood would barely clear the hood support.

If long runners are needed. Look to the old Maggie 112 intakes.
Runners I think where 8" long and did not loose any height.
But you do loose plenium volume after IC.
Old 03-28-2014, 11:45 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TrickPerformanceProducts

We used a cast top.
And on a cowl hood would barely clear the hood support.

If long runners are needed. Look to the old Maggie 112 intakes.
Runners I think where 8" long and did not loose any height.
But you do loose plenium volume after IC.
Did you guys notice any low end performance drop off / slower response with this manifold?

Quick Reply: Lingenfelter intercooled intake for a turbo application?