Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Holley traction control

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 11:17 PM
8 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Holley traction control

I would like to hear from those of you that are using the davis box on the holley system. Does anyone know if or when the TC3/TC4 will be out? If you guys had to pick between the TC1/2 for street use what would it be.

Im reading the TC2 is the better unit with the self learning capabilities but how much difference is there between the 2 on the street. Im also curious how the measurement is taken. How are you guys setting up the sensor to take the readings
Old 03-26-2014, 05:57 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a pretty good thread on the bullet about this, i'll try to dig it up, had some good information about it.
Old 03-26-2014, 06:00 AM
TECH Veteran

Here, the last couple pages, i actually asked this question

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...t=jax04&page=4
Old 03-26-2014, 07:59 AM
8 Second Club

I actually read that thread yesterday. I was hoping to bump it up for updates but couldn't remember my YB password, thanks. Any how what system did you end up going with? Also do you know anything about the mechanics of it? I'm curious if the box comes with the whole setup IE. DS rotation sensor/ mounting bracket? I'm a bit confused on how the whole thing comes together.
Old 03-26-2014, 08:53 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by oscs
I actually read that thread yesterday. I was hoping to bump it up for updates but couldn't remember my YB password, thanks. Any how what system did you end up going with? Also do you know anything about the mechanics of it? I'm curious if the box comes with the whole setup IE. DS rotation sensor/ mounting bracket? I'm a bit confused on how the whole thing comes together.
When i called Davis about that box, he said that the ds rotation sensor and other jazz was separate. That grand was for the box only. I want to say that the sensor and stuff was not very expensive, but i cannot remember.

I have not purchased a box yet. I decided to leave it off this season as i've spent WAY more money on things then i thought i would to get her wrapped up.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:02 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by JAX04
When i called Davis about that box, he said that the ds rotation sensor and other jazz was separate. That grand was for the box only. I want to say that the sensor and stuff was not very expensive, but i cannot remember.

I have not purchased a box yet. I decided to leave it off this season as i've spent WAY more money on things then i thought i would to get her wrapped up.
I plan on calling those guys today to get my head around it. Being a 2900lb car and a 275 being the biggest tire i can fit i think im going to need all the help i can get. Thanks for the help JAX
Old 03-26-2014, 09:03 AM
TECH Veteran

I plan on calling those guys today to get my head around it. Being a 2900lb car and a 275 being the biggest tire i can fit i think im going to need all the help i can get. Thanks for the help JAX
No prob. Be sure to post back up with anymore information you get.
Old 03-26-2014, 01:35 PM
8 Second Club

No prob. Be sure to post back up with anymore information you get.
Spoke with Shannon directly this morning. He suggested the TC1 seeing as my car is a dedicated street car seeing maybe one or two passes at the track a year. The DS loop mount/rotation sensor/wiring harness etc. is around $350-400

The cool thing about the system is that Shannon said they can calibrate to whatever you have. A good example is my R200 Diff has a ABS sensor built into the front part reading the rotation speed of the pinion flange. In order to save money I will utilize this otherwise useless sensor in my old car and use it work with the Davis box. /he seems very flexible on different applications
Old 03-27-2014, 05:45 AM
TECH Veteran

Good deal man. Thanks for sharing. When you order it and get it intsalled, get some good video of data logs for us.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:16 AM
8 Second Club

Good deal man. Thanks for sharing. When you order it and get it intsalled, get some good video of data logs for us.
Absolutely
Old 03-27-2014, 10:41 AM
8 Second Club

Received 729 Likes on 534 Posts

Heres a $12 speed sensor kit that I was going to use. I was looking into setting this up on my AEM. No need to blow 350-400$ on one!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200814347002...84.m1423.l2649
Old 03-27-2014, 12:28 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Forcefed86
Heres a $12 speed sensor kit that I was going to use. I was looking into setting this up on my AEM. No need to blow 350-400$ on one!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200814347002...84.m1423.l2649
The only problem I see using that is that it only measures one rotation of the driveshaft. The davis box measures 8 times a rotation. I know he can program it however you want but I think I would want to use it to its full potential. I wonder if you could use this same idea and just put 8 magnets even spaced..

Last edited by oscs; 03-27-2014 at 12:57 PM.
Old 03-27-2014, 01:39 PM
8 Second Club

The only problem I see using that is that it only measures one rotation of the driveshaft. The davis box measures 8 times a rotation. I know he can program it however you want but I think I would want to use it to its full potential. I wonder if you could use this same idea and just put 8 magnets even spaced..
Good point. At really low wheel speeds you wouldn't have alot of pulses for the system to read. But if you installed it on the wheel hub even at 5-10 mph wheel speeds you'd get a healthy amount of pulses. Most I've seen using TC are running the true radial classes and use the kit to control wheel spin at higher speeds the length of the track, and not so much for launch control. Suppose it would depend how you plan to use it.

Def. let us know, I want to get mine setup, but I've got other issues to figure out before I can tackle that project.
Old 03-27-2014, 02:43 PM
8 Second Club

Good point. At really low wheel speeds you wouldn't have alot of pulses for the system to read. But if you installed it on the wheel hub even at 5-10 mph wheel speeds you'd get a healthy amount of pulses. Most I've seen using TC are running the true radial classes and use the kit to control wheel spin at higher speeds the length of the track, and not so much for launch control. Suppose it would depend how you plan to use it.

Def. let us know, I want to get mine setup, but I've got other issues to figure out before I can tackle that project.
Your right. The wheel hub would be a good place to use this assuming it is a locked differential and both wheels are spinning at the same time. Unfortunately I have a VLSD diff.. I wont be "launching" the car very hard or often so this unit might work for me. The wheel spin im more concerned with is low gear high RPM runs and freeway runs.
Old 03-27-2014, 03:28 PM
8 Second Club

Your right. The wheel hub would be a good place to use this assuming it is a locked differential and both wheels are spinning at the same time. Unfortunately I have a VLSD diff.. I wont be "launching" the car very hard or often so this unit might work for me. The wheel spin im more concerned with is low gear high RPM runs and freeway runs.
Your LSD shouldn’t be slipping under a heavy load...

Again I haven’t used the kit but…

I believe you could run the VSS on one of the front wheels. Many of the setups I’ve seen do this. I believe the ECU just matches engine rpm to a specific VSS speed on a map. It doesn't need to see actual wheel spin to know your having traction issues. It would also need to know what gear you were in.

It will know at 5k rpm you should be at say 120mph indicated VSS speed. If your going under 120 at 5k it will sense your losing traction and cut timing based on how far off you are until the speed and RPM sync to the map again.

Last edited by Forcefed86; 03-27-2014 at 04:17 PM.
Old 03-27-2014, 03:53 PM
8 Second Club

Your LSD shouldn’t be slipping under a heavy load...

Again I haven’t used the kit but…

I believe you could run the VSS on one of the front wheels. Many of the setups I’ve seen do this. I believe the ECU just matches engine rpm to a specific VSS speed on a map. It doesn't need to see actual wheel spin to know your having traction issues.

It will know at 5k rpm you should be at say 120mph indicated VSS speed. If your going under 120 at 5k it will sense your losing traction and cut timing based on how far off you are until the speed and RPM sync to the map again.

Makes perfect sense, this almost seems like you would get a more accurate reading with it on the front wheel. Seems like it would give it something to "compare" it to.

Last edited by oscs; 03-27-2014 at 04:21 PM.
Old 03-27-2014, 08:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the davis boxes work by sensing wheel speed. at least per their website. you wont be able to get this from the front wheels. youll need to have a driveshaft based reading. i think the sensor oscs already has in place should work well if it outputs a signal the holley can read.
(keep in mind holley hp cannot read a two wire based speed sensor- only three wire)
you wont get a wheel speed reading like this from the front wheel

here you can clearly see three instances of wheelspin(black line) this is two magnets on the pinion yoke.

Old 03-27-2014, 10:30 PM
8 Second Club

That way does look better, you wouldn't need to have a gear input as well that way. I thought last time I talked to skinnies he used the holley unit with a VSS on the front wheel though... Could be wrong. I know you can on the AEM.
Old 03-28-2014, 07:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That way does look better, you wouldn't need to have a gear input as well that way. I thought last time I talked to skinnies he used the holley unit with a VSS on the front wheel though... Could be wrong. I know you can on the AEM.
Skinnies TT Fox, the FR8TRN T/A, and Maxx's Firebird all use front wheel speed sensors. IIRC, they're only using that signal to ramp boost, thus controlling power and wheel spin - given traction conditions.
Old 03-28-2014, 07:34 AM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The front wheel speed wouldn't work well for "Traction Control" since you're never going to spin the front wheels. The front wheel speed works good for "Boost by Speed". For traction control you want to monitor drive shaft speed or rear wheel speed.

Quick Reply: Holley traction control