Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

What clutch to hold 1000+HP?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 04:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by js2fst
And the spec doesn't slip. And fail??? The pressure plate was my common failure. mccleod I had luck with in vette!
You must be missing the 1000 HP part....
Old 04-01-2014, 05:01 PM
8 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by V-seriesTech
When you have a pressure plate failure twice, in 2 weeks, 2 separate cars, to separate installers, 2 separate conditions, 1 common denominator=spec. Actually, 2 common denominators, both had SPEC, both cars were total losses, due to SPEC clutch products.

I would run a stock LS6 clutch and HATE life before I would run a **** PILE SPEC PRODUCT is what I mean since logic doesn't grace everyone.

RAM has been in the game as long as SPEC has when it comes LS cars. I have also had them. RAM is good to for most setups. Mcleod is the best I have seen when it comes to working/customer care.

Chances are, I have changed more clutch setups then most people. I have a garage full of take out spec clutchs and textrailia exoskels. I think I have even a ram laying around.

trust me, I use and test clutch assemblies more then you'd ever want to.

moral of "my" rant, is to advise people of SPEC products and to steer them away from them.

You like your legs, don't you? Ever have a pressure plate explode at 5,000 rpm?

Seen it happen a few times and I mean a few.. total loss you say? your telling me that you went through two cars in two weeks? not sure how a pressure plate exploding at 5k will Total a car.. **** it up pretty bad yes, total it? i think not. That sucks it happened to you twice. I still don't think a freak accident in your car is a good reason to tell someone to get an LS7/6 clutch and deal with it slipping..
Old 04-01-2014, 05:29 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LS7 lol. I'm only at 840 Whp but my Street Slayer carbon carbon triple aka RPS Triple has been flawless. Turning up the boost this summer and we will see how she holds closer to 1k whp. Car with driver is 4100lbs.
Old 04-01-2014, 05:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have the old style street twin (Borg and Beck) you can send it in to be upgraded to the Miba lining and springs pressure if needed. Mine started slipping at mid 900's rwhp. I sent mine in and had it upgraded. Still have to go back to the Dyno.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:41 PM
10 Second Club

When you have a pressure plate failure twice, in 2 weeks, 2 separate cars, to separate installers, 2 separate conditions, 1 common denominator=spec. Actually, 2 common denominators, both had SPEC, both cars were total losses, due to SPEC clutch products.

I would run a stock LS6 clutch and HATE life before I would run a **** PILE SPEC PRODUCT is what I mean since logic doesn't grace everyone.

RAM has been in the game as long as SPEC has when it comes LS cars. I have also had them. RAM is good to for most setups. Mcleod is the best I have seen when it comes to working/customer care.

Chances are, I have changed more clutch setups then most people. I have a garage full of take out spec clutchs and textrailia exoskels. I think I have even a ram laying around.

moral of "my" rant, is to advise people of SPEC products and to steer them away from them.

did they go through a stock bellhousing or a SFI blow proof housing?

i havent had any problems w/ my Spec Twin, with many 5k+ rpm clutch dumps

-brandon
Old 04-01-2014, 07:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would run a CenterForce DYAD, Monster Twin/Triple, or an RPS Triple.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:31 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by oscs
Seen it happen a few times and I mean a few.. total loss you say? your telling me that you went through two cars in two weeks? not sure how a pressure plate exploding at 5k will Total a car.. **** it up pretty bad yes, total it? i think not. That sucks it happened to you twice. I still don't think a freak accident in your car is a good reason to tell someone to get an LS7/6 clutch and deal with it slipping..
i think he is just saying he would rather have a worthless, slipping ls7 clutch than have a spec clutch that are prone to break no matter what power level that they can hold . it seemed pretty obvious to me anyways that was what he was saying . most decent twin setups can hold decent power but some are obviously better than others,probably different clutch material used. sounds like the better mccloud clutch may be the ticket.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:34 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by slow trap
i think he is just saying he would rather have a worthless, slipping ls7 clutch than have a spec clutch that are prone to break no matter what power level that they can hold . it seemed pretty obvious to me anyways that was what he was saying . most decent twin setups can hold decent power but some are obviously better than others,probably different clutch material used. sounds like the better mccloud clutch may be the ticket.
I get what he was saying but IMO it was off topic. Personally I run a McLeod RXT
Old 04-02-2014, 10:56 AM
10 Second Club

another common denominator is driver.

if you had one come apart bad enough to come though the car and possibly take off your legs, why the hell would you put another one together without a blow proof bellhousing

Go to the manual trans section and see who is in there constantly helping people and answering questions every day. Monster! their product and customer service cant be beat. not to mention their warranty!

i had their level 2 original twin and went 8.80@155 and loved that clutch and the new lt1r is supposed to be a more badass piece. i will be testing one of those this year with my turbo setup
Old 04-02-2014, 12:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by blue99fbody

if you had one come apart bad enough to come though the car and possibly take off your legs, why the hell would you put another one together without a blow proof bellhousing

Go to the manual trans section and see who is in there constantly helping people and answering questions every day. Monster! their product and customer service cant be beat. not to mention their warranty!

i had their level 2 original twin and went 8.80@155 and loved that clutch and the new lt1r is supposed to be a more badass piece. i will be testing one of those this year with my turbo setup
Ive got a level 3 monster in mine. Its only rated to 700rwhp. I have slicks and making several hundred above its rated limit and it doesn't slip at all. I will be staying with monster when this clutch can no longer hang. Ill just go up to a twin disk or something like that. Great clutch though. Very happy with it.
Old 04-02-2014, 01:02 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm another big fan of McLeod. I actually talked to Red, who is the founder of McLeod and he specc'd me a single disc that is holding very well. Granted, I'm not at 1,000hp (only 800), but I'd go back to McLeod to get a twin disc and have them spec it for me.
Old 04-02-2014, 03:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

I currently have a Mcleod street twin that was rebuilt about 3 years ago and has probably 10K miles on it since being rebuilt. It was originally purchased back in like 2008.
Old 04-02-2014, 05:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

with all due respect(not trying to sound like a dick here)...who are you, an inspector?

Here is your answers-
1)Total loss. As in, the car is a total loss from insurance point of view.
2)I am telling you that I had a spec in MY car
3)a close friend had one in his car too
4)different cars
5)different drivers
6)different installers
7)Mine came apart
8)his came apart about 1 to 1.5 weeks later.
9)Both came apart at HIGHER RPM
10)both provided no warning at all. Nothing.
11)Was the bellhousing damaged? Do you wanna see the damage to the car and frame rails/long tubs headers? (I still have the first gen "prototype" LG motorsports long tubes w vbands(ruined) and I still have the kooks long tubes that where ruined).

It is like driving over an explosion. It's fucked up dude. Yes, two cars, total loss's. I don't know what else to tell you on it. So until you experience it yourself, please do me the favor and spare me the "I (key part-I) think(second key part-think) not"

In the end,..I really don't think you get it. I think you would rather argue about **** that doesn't matter quite frankly.

Originally Posted by Demonicbird00
did they go through a stock bellhousing or a SFI blow proof housing?

i havent had any problems w/ my Spec Twin, with many 5k+ rpm clutch dumps

-brandon
Brandon yes, they went through STOCK bellhousing. IF I had an SFI steel bellhousing(like I do on all of my builds now) I do NOT think I would have had this kind of problem. I really don't but, until I experience it, I dunno.

I did put a blanket on my bellhousing on my next vette after that, to hold me over from getting a steel bellhousing and that did suck to work with. It was universal but, it sucked cause it was too flopppy. A custom fit one, would be a choice possibly.

I recommend an SFI bellhousing. If I did NOT have a Y body(vette)..which has thick frame rails going down the center of the car(f bodies do not)...I am pretty sure that given the size of the DENTS in my frame, I probably would have lost a leg or two.

It is that violent, and that fast. think explosion.

Originally Posted by slow trap
******* A.....someone get this man a beer!!!

Originally Posted by blue99fbody

I understand. If I didn't paint the picture well enough on my first post, my apologies.

2 different cars, I was supposed to install the 2nd but, I was just too busy. Thank god I didn't..cause then it would look bad for me.

After inspecting BOTH failed presure plates, it appears that the CROSS DRILLING in the pressure plate...is what cause or started the issues. They both have spider cracks on all of the drill points. Like a brake rotor would look just like after some use.

They came apart in chunks,...and well, I saved as many as I could of those too.

Look man, we all drive cars here pretty hard. These "high performance clutch assemblies" should be able to handle everything you throw at them. Both of these cars at that time, both made UNDER 500rwhp. Under. We drive them hard man but we clean them with diapers...etc. In other words,...I should be able to do ANYTHING I WANT TO A HIGH PERFORMANCE clutch, within it's design limitations.

Running 1600rwhp? Don't bitch about your "1000hp capable" clutch not working. Etc.

I dislike spec in a way you cannot imagine. They cost me 1 car. 1 whole car dude. They said my car was involved in HURRICANE KATRINA..that's.....I live in south EAST Florida, not Louisiana. *******. I deal with A LOT of companies....shops on here...the majority of them will NOT install a SPEC product. If they do, they just don't know.

Anyways, if I derailed, my bad. If I saved someones legs, **** everyone complaining. You won't know until you experience it for yourself.

-No disrespect intended.

-Jamie

(pics available of broken clutch assembly via email or privately)
Old 04-02-2014, 06:42 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

That's a scary thought having a clutch come apart. Makes me consider running a scatter shield or protection of some sort. I don't care if the car is destroyed, I mean I do, but I need my legs... I've got a daughter I want to walk down the isle some day, when she's like 45.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:25 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's why as soon as I knew I'd be making big power and big rpm I put a SFI bell housing I didn't want something like that to happen if the clutch ever did come apart it's cheap insurance
Old 04-02-2014, 10:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

This is scary indeed. I need to look into a sfi housing as well.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

is it power or rpm that is what is more likely to do this? I make 840 but rev to 6500 only.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:02 PM
8 Second Club

with all due respect(not trying to sound like a dick here)...who are you, an inspector?

Here is your answers-
1)Total loss. As in, the car is a total loss from insurance point of view.
2)I am telling you that I had a spec in MY car
3)a close friend had one in his car too
4)different cars
5)different drivers
6)different installers
7)Mine came apart
8)his came apart about 1 to 1.5 weeks later.
9)Both came apart at HIGHER RPM
10)both provided no warning at all. Nothing.
11)Was the bellhousing damaged? Do you wanna see the damage to the car and frame rails/long tubs headers? (I still have the first gen "prototype" LG motorsports long tubes w vbands(ruined) and I still have the kooks long tubes that where ruined).

It is like driving over an explosion. It's fucked up dude. Yes, two cars, total loss's. I don't know what else to tell you on it. So until you experience it yourself, please do me the favor and spare me the "I (key part-I) think(second key part-think) not"

In the end,..I really don't think you get it. I think you would rather argue about **** that doesn't matter quite frankly.

Brandon yes, they went through STOCK bellhousing. IF I had an SFI steel bellhousing(like I do on all of my builds now) I do NOT think I would have had this kind of problem. I really don't but, until I experience it, I dunno.

I did put a blanket on my bellhousing on my next vette after that, to hold me over from getting a steel bellhousing and that did suck to work with. It was universal but, it sucked cause it was too flopppy. A custom fit one, would be a choice possibly.

I recommend an SFI bellhousing. If I did NOT have a Y body(vette)..which has thick frame rails going down the center of the car(f bodies do not)...I am pretty sure that given the size of the DENTS in my frame, I probably would have lost a leg or two.

It is that violent, and that fast. think explosion.

******* A.....someone get this man a beer!!!

I understand. If I didn't paint the picture well enough on my first post, my apologies.

2 different cars, I was supposed to install the 2nd but, I was just too busy. Thank god I didn't..cause then it would look bad for me.

After inspecting BOTH failed presure plates, it appears that the CROSS DRILLING in the pressure plate...is what cause or started the issues. They both have spider cracks on all of the drill points. Like a brake rotor would look just like after some use.

They came apart in chunks,...and well, I saved as many as I could of those too.

Look man, we all drive cars here pretty hard. These "high performance clutch assemblies" should be able to handle everything you throw at them. Both of these cars at that time, both made UNDER 500rwhp. Under. We drive them hard man but we clean them with diapers...etc. In other words,...I should be able to do ANYTHING I WANT TO A HIGH PERFORMANCE clutch, within it's design limitations.

Running 1600rwhp? Don't bitch about your "1000hp capable" clutch not working. Etc.

I dislike spec in a way you cannot imagine. They cost me 1 car. 1 whole car dude. They said my car was involved in HURRICANE KATRINA..that's.....I live in south EAST Florida, not Louisiana. *******. I deal with A LOT of companies....shops on here...the majority of them will NOT install a SPEC product. If they do, they just don't know.

Anyways, if I derailed, my bad. If I saved someones legs, **** everyone complaining. You won't know until you experience it for yourself.

-No disrespect intended.

-Jamie

(pics available of broken clutch assembly via email or privately)

There are so many things i want to say but i will refrain since i apparently "dont get it". Good luck with your next clutch install man, apparently you need it.

OP get yourself a nice RXT or monster and call it a day.
Old 04-03-2014, 03:15 AM
TECH Resident

that sucks but What does your spec clutch failure have to do with an LS7 clutch holding 1000RWHP?

So what? an LS7 clutch is not designed to handle anything close to 1000RWHP end of story
Exactly and a spec would be rated for more and do less than a 7. Spec can rate it at million rwhp it doesn't mean it can 500!

I swapped to a 4l80e
Old 04-03-2014, 07:42 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by js2fst
Exactly and a spec would be rated for more and do less than a 7. Spec can rate it at million rwhp it doesn't mean it can 500! I swapped to a 4l80e
Don't you mean 1 gazillion HP?

Last edited by oscs; 04-03-2014 at 07:48 AM.

Quick Reply: What clutch to hold 1000+HP?