Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

holley efi vs fast xfi

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 11:56 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 240 Likes on 167 Posts

not sure what the OP is looking for, everyone is talking about stuff he may not want or need, lol
this was my first shot at FI, and I didn't need much more than the basic stuff but something I could operate
I got the Holley HP along with the LS1 wiring harness, it was all plug and play more or less-having had 10-15 Procharged cars I knew tuning, but I was (am) computer stupid, so some things I didn't understand-but there is so much intel. out there on this system almost any question could be answered
I bought a couple Holley sensors (air temp and fuel pres) so I could just use the drop down box as opposed to trying to fig out a custom setting
I had no problem tuning it for power, punch in what I wanted, let the learn feature take over-I had a driveability issue down low, but I had someone just remote in to my laptop while it was hooked to the car, and he cured that
the data log feature is super
Old 04-04-2014, 01:15 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I'd have to look at my parts list if I still have it laying around. It had all the part numbers the guy at Holley gave me.
Old 04-04-2014, 04:49 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by JAX04
I'm curious what "other sensors" and jazz you are referring to and the add ons that took it that high in price? Not a smart *** question, but a serious one.
http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=599324
Old 04-05-2014, 06:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 87silverbullet
^^^^Exatcly what I'm saying.

ProEFI is $3224.00 from them with just harness and ECU. Holley Dominator harness and ECU from Summit (we know they aren't the cheapest) is $2126.00. I can add that $1000.00 box from Davis and I'm still cheaper.

No matter how crude of a traction control you may think it is, it works and works well on some fast cars.

Plus from what I have been reading the Dominator is more novice friendly compared to ProEFI. That is something worth its weight in gold for alot of the guys on this forum. Not having to go to a tuner all the time.
You are mixing arguments. I suggested ProEFI as an alternative. No one ever mentioned price comparison until someone spouted $3400 for a dominator. Most of the conversation has been between FAST XFI and the Holley setups. Yes ProEFI is more expensive but it's traction control implementation is not even remotely crude and it can adjust for flex fuel. Their traction control has been proven on the street, strip and track. Stevieturbo was referring to using boost control as traction control.
Old 04-05-2014, 07:01 AM
9 Second Club

I was referring to the shaft sped only as a relatively crude form of traction control. I'm not doubting it can work, but it would really be aimed at drag type use only.

Which is fine if that's all the car is used for. A wheel speed based setup is much more versatile for a car that is driven other than short straight lines.

But the shaft speed only is clearly easier to implement, and most cars in the US do seem drag only, so it fits the market it is intended for.

Does seem strange it is such a high cost option for the Holley though. There is absolutely no reason it shouldnt be able to handle that internally.

But using boost control is a very slow method of traction control as a reactive measure. as a proactive to prevent yes it would work well, but performance may suffer. As a reactive it could make a vehicle unstable due to slow response just like OEM closing of the DBW throttle to achieve a form of TC. They both work in reducing traction...but nobody would say it's a nice option.
Old 04-05-2014, 07:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If you want to use everything the Holley Dominator has to offer on a turbocharged LS powered car it canl cost right around $4500 assuming you buy Holleys stuff and dont want to scrounge around the internet.

Dominator ECU
LS harness
4L80E harness
main harness
2 boost solenoids
map
dome pressure sensor
oil and fuel pressure sensors
input/output harness connectors and pins
some sort of screen whether it be a laptop, Holley lcd, tablet
multimap selector
2 NTK 02 sensors
Davis Technologies TC1 or 2 box
Driveshaft sensor
Misc sensors for logging pre intercooler temps, trans temp, etc, etc.

The bare bones $1500 HP kit may get you by but you're going to want more.
Old 04-05-2014, 08:32 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1NOVA
Dominator ECU
LS harness
4L80E harness
main harness
2 boost solenoids
map
dome pressure sensor
oil and fuel pressure sensors
input/output harness connectors and pins
some sort of screen whether it be a laptop, Holley lcd, tablet
multimap selector
2 NTK 02 sensors
Davis Technologies TC1 or 2 box
Driveshaft sensor
Misc sensors for logging pre intercooler temps, trans temp, etc, etc.
So, becuase i do NOT KNOW about the others.

They come with ALL those sensors and doodads included?

for the case of this argument, i really dont see how you can include the constants...
Old 04-05-2014, 09:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

love the holley dominator setup on my car. It's very user friendly but I'm learning new things every day about it
Old 04-05-2014, 11:57 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by JAX04
So, becuase i do NOT KNOW about the others.

They come with ALL those sensors and doodads included?

for the case of this argument, i really dont see how you can include the constants...
No ecu comes with "everything", because there is no generic everything.

Each user will want different features, different sensors, will have their own looms and needs etc etc All those things cost money, so if you dont need them, it would make no sense to be paying for them

The only constant is the ecu itself, which if chosen correctly should be the only box you need to do everything as far as control goes.

So in that respect it rules out the Holley if you wanted TC, because it isnt inclusive. Requires a cost extra box.

In that respect it rules out ProEFI as it cannot datalog internally, it requires a cost extra add on box.

FAST XFI 2.0, Ive looked at their website, and whilst it says it can datalog onboard, and achieve traction control...

Really, their site gives **** all useful information about actual specifications or abilities.

One thing of note is they mention a USB-serial convertor supplied with the kit. Generally what that means to me is troublesome communications, and potentially painfully slow datalog downloads.

XFI also mentions it includes an NTK wideband sensor....all good and well. But is it only capable of running a single sensor, or sensor per bank ? It simply doesnt say.
Old 04-05-2014, 09:54 PM
FormerVendor

It can do dual wide bands and 8 EGT's. It also has an accelerometer(g-meter) that can be added.

It does not include all sensors needed either.
Old 04-06-2014, 04:28 AM
9 Second Club

The 8 onboard EGT's is an unusual feature, but quite a welcome one. It's rare for most ecu's to incorporate that.

And of course the thermocouples can be used for any temperature readings, not just EGT

I see no mention of a knock monitor or control facility though.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:22 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
The 8 onboard EGT's is an unusual feature, but quite a welcome one. It's rare for most ecu's to incorporate that.

And of course the thermocouples can be used for any temperature readings, not just EGT

I see no mention of a knock monitor or control facility though.
I really like what I got and I think it will work well.

IIRC Justin Smith runs Fast XFI on both of his cars.

Quick Reply: holley efi vs fast xfi