Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

holley efi vs fast xfi

Old 04-02-2014, 01:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default holley efi vs fast xfi

Hey im in a dilemma on which engine management system to run. I have a well built 6.0 408 built to handle boost backed by a th400 in a third gen camaro. Im goin turbo 88mm t6. I haven't fabbed it up yet but anyway I was doin some long hard research and goin back n forth on the fast system n holley system. It appears that the xfi is expensive than the holley due to upgrades whereas the holley has everything you need to run your car properly. Has anyone gone with the holley system or fast system and is there any upsides of running one over the other? Also which one is user friendly because I plan on tuning it myself. Dont wanna run the big stuff like everybody else. Thanks for advice
Old 04-02-2014, 02:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From what I have seen on here most run the holley. It appears to be very user friendly and there is a ton of support for it. The fast is probably and really good system, but not many on here run it. If it were me and I was in your shoes I would go with the holley.
Old 04-02-2014, 02:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

I just went through this same thing about 3 months ago. Call Dennis at Moore racecraft he helped design some of the features in holleys software and knows the system inside and out. He can answer all your questions. After talking to him I bought a holley hp efi set up from him and haven't looked back. He emails you a base toon for your set up to get you started and with in 15 minutes I was driving my car around.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok cool. Im definitely going to do that. Is the holley system setup for automatic updates?
Old 04-02-2014, 07:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run. Fast excellent system. I have not tuned a holley system yet so I can't honestly judge. I tune haltech, aem and fast stuff alot. FAST has very good algorithms for calculations in speed density. I believe John Meaney probably had his hands in holleys efi system too. Aka the accel Dfi creater, fast, and now owns big stuff 3.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

The holley dominator can run electronically controlled automatic's. The hp cannot.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:32 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If i was buying a unit it would be the holley.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:36 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can you run these on the street? Always wondered how you pass inspection because they plug into the OBDII port...
Old 04-03-2014, 07:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

If those are my only two options then the Holley. It's damn near plug and play with the LSX motors and the Dominator has a TON of options. I would also suggest looking at ProEFI as an option. Doesn't have self learn but adds traction control out of the box. Just have to setup the sensors. ProEFI also has flex fuel capability built in.

If they plug into the OBDII port I highly doubt it would pass. Those systems check for emissions tests that have been performed and I don't know of any aftermarket ECU's that do that. If it's just a visual check and a sniffer sure.
Old 04-03-2014, 04:21 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I decided on Fast XFI due to the new 3.0 software that is coming out in a week or so and the fact that it can data log and do everything that a race pak can with 0-5v sensors.

Meaning I can use my Fast XFI to data log shock travel, compressor speed, back pressure, IAT before and after the intercooler, drive shaft speed, pan vac, literally anything you can think of.

I was going to go with the HP EFI from Holley. After putting it on a car we have here and seeing how limited you are to using the "cool" features the Holley software has I decided against it. You really are just getting something that will tune your car for you and the possibility to use one or maybe two of those "cool" features.

If you really want to open up the capability of the Holley you have to go with the Dominator. When I priced out the Dominator to do everything my Fast will do, it was 3400 bucks from Holley. Probably could get a couple hundred bucks off buying it from a dealer though.

In the end, it comes down to how serious will you be in terms of your racing.
Old 04-03-2014, 05:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Exidous
If those are my only two options then the Holley. It's damn near plug and play with the LSX motors and the Dominator has a TON of options. I would also suggest looking at ProEFI as an option. Doesn't have self learn but adds traction control out of the box. Just have to setup the sensors. ProEFI also has flex fuel capability built in.

If they plug into the OBDII port I highly doubt it would pass. Those systems check for emissions tests that have been performed and I don't know of any aftermarket ECU's that do that. If it's just a visual check and a sniffer sure.
The Holley HP has traction control too. If the HP has it then you know the Dominator has it.
Old 04-03-2014, 05:41 PM
9 Second Club

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by 87silverbullet
The Holley HP has traction control too. If the HP has it then you know the Dominator has it.
From threads elsewhere about their TCS setup...it seems it requires an additional box, and is a semi-crude form of traction control rather than a fully fledged TCS system
Holley's own page also indicates this "Davis Technologies" box needs to be purchased

It's something to be aware of when trying to compare ecu's and features.

Just because 2 brands claim they do the same function name, really doesnt mean the actual operation or functionality are even remotely the same.
Old 04-03-2014, 06:11 PM
FormerVendor

My Fast XFI has intelligent traction control. It will drop boost or timing based on if drive shaft speed exceeds it's pre programmed values. OR a rate of change in drive shaft speed. In other words, acceleration of the drive shaft exceeds a given rate it pulls timing and/or drops boost.

All built in.
Old 04-03-2014, 06:19 PM
9 Second Club

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
My Fast XFI has intelligent traction control. It will drop boost or timing based on if drive shaft speed exceeds it's pre programmed values. OR a rate of change in drive shaft speed. In other words, acceleration of the drive shaft exceeds a given rate it pulls timing and/or drops boost.

All built in.

Again a semi-crude approach, which largely seems only applicable to drag scenarios, perhaps chosen because of possibilty of front wheel lift ?
or maybe just simplicity of installation, as no need to install a wheel speed pickup on driven/undriven wheels

Fully fledged traction control references undriven vs driven wheel speeds. Pulling timing is an initial response, usually followed by fuel/spark cut to reduce power.

Pulling boost itself would be very slow method of control by comparison. A bit like OEM TCS where they shut the throttle blade. It works, but it aint nice.

For a non drag specific car, using that shaft speed only approach does have major flaws. And for a track car, autocross, street or whatever you want to call it, it would be a poor approach to traction control...well, unless you only ever drove in short straight lines.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:02 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Again a semi-crude approach, which largely seems only applicable to drag scenarios, perhaps chosen because of possibilty of front wheel lift ?
or maybe just simplicity of installation, as no need to install a wheel speed pickup on driven/undriven wheels

Fully fledged traction control references undriven vs driven wheel speeds. Pulling timing is an initial response, usually followed by fuel/spark cut to reduce power.

Pulling boost itself would be very slow method of control by comparison. A bit like OEM TCS where they shut the throttle blade. It works, but it aint nice.

For a non drag specific car, using that shaft speed only approach does have major flaws. And for a track car, autocross, street or whatever you want to call it, it would be a poor approach to traction control...well, unless you only ever drove in short straight lines.
I would assume the OP is using this in a drag racing setting based on his initial post and combination.

I would think that the other scenarios you mentioned and how DSS based TC wouldn't matter in this instance.

It seems to work extremely well in a drag race setting.

If we're using C02 pressure on the gate to control boost I don't see how it would be slow to dump boost. You should see how fast the boost leash we have on a car here in the shop dumps boost when the run is finished. It's pretty much instantaneous.

XFI uses timing retard as an initial response. If DSS continues to climb at an unacceptable rate it will cut spark for a short amount of time and if it continues to worsen it will begin to drop cylinders completely.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yes the Holley CAN have traction control but it does require an additional box from Davis Technologies. Depending on which you go with it's north of another $500-$1000 more to add traction control. The ProEFI just needs the sensors. No extra box. I don't have any experience with the XFI but it sounds like a pretty neat system.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:40 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Dude, if your paying $3400 for a Dominator I've got 100 for sell right now.

From the right vendor, you can be set up with a Dominator for under $2500.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:02 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Blown06

It would depend on what options and sensors you added that will determine the final price.

I wanted a lot of sensors that I'm sure more than half of the people reading this thread would never need.

Making a statement that a Dominator costs 2500 is misleading. If you want bare bones and only the stuff that will allow the car to run then yes I can see 2500 bucks or less.

That said, if you want to be able to actually utilize what the software can offer you'll be spending a lot more.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:16 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Blown06

^^^^Exatcly what I'm saying.

ProEFI is $3224.00 from them with just harness and ECU. Holley Dominator harness and ECU from Summit (we know they aren't the cheapest) is $2126.00. I can add that $1000.00 box from Davis and I'm still cheaper.

No matter how crude of a traction control you may think it is, it works and works well on some fast cars.

Plus from what I have been reading the Dominator is more novice friendly compared to ProEFI. That is something worth its weight in gold for alot of the guys on this forum. Not having to go to a tuner all the time.
Old 04-04-2014, 11:10 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm curious what "other sensors" and jazz you are referring to and the add ons that took it that high in price? Not a smart *** question, but a serious one.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: holley efi vs fast xfi