Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

69 Nova. 5.3 L33 Turbo build. Billet S474, LOTS of pictures...

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 08:04 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 239 Likes on 166 Posts

OK, I have to do this, lol
http://www.1320video.com/mustang-exp...o-at-150mph-2/
Old 10-20-2015, 09:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 186 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by forcd ind
This has always been in the back of my mind. Not sure people get it. Stuff breaks. You see it all the time, people standing right next to the car while it's on the dyno. Even worse are the dynos where the car is up 4 feet off the ground. Takin a u-joint in the yap will wake you up real quick!
Old 10-21-2015, 11:28 PM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

I've seen those before. Street tires only on the dyno for me from now on.

The trans isn't making any noise. Its a wierd vibration, and I'm not sure where its coming from, but I think the trans is rubbing the floor or the dipstick tube is hitting the firewall. Every gear still works, so does lockup. Engine is running as strong as ever.

When the engine fully warms up, it starts to tick pretty loud. I'm assuming its a lifter, but I can really only hear it from inside the car. When I stick my head under the hood, its kinda hard to hear over those noisy *** injectors and exhaust. Lifter tick is something that normally only happens while the engine is cold, not after it gets hot. I do wonder if maybe my oil is a touch too thick.
Old 10-22-2015, 01:33 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by forcd ind
HOLY CRAP! First time I seen that.
Old 10-22-2015, 01:33 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JoeNova
I've seen those before. Street tires only on the dyno for me from now on.

The trans isn't making any noise. Its a wierd vibration, and I'm not sure where its coming from, but I think the trans is rubbing the floor or the dipstick tube is hitting the firewall. Every gear still works, so does lockup. Engine is running as strong as ever.

When the engine fully warms up, it starts to tick pretty loud. I'm assuming its a lifter, but I can really only hear it from inside the car. When I stick my head under the hood, its kinda hard to hear over those noisy *** injectors and exhaust. Lifter tick is something that normally only happens while the engine is cold, not after it gets hot. I do wonder if maybe my oil is a touch too thick.
Lifters can make noise when it's warm. The oil thins out and allows the ticking. Take a long screw driver and put it on the lifter valley cover and up to your ear. You'll hear it ticking if it's a lifter. The screw driver acts as a stethoscope. Put it anywhere on the engine to track down noises. Works great. Especially on the oil pan if you ever think you have a bottom end noise. Allows you to sleep a night knowing it's all quiet if in fact it is.
Old 10-22-2015, 03:56 PM
Restricted User

I'm 99% sure its a lifter. It seems to lose a cylinder when it starts to happen. If I go wide open it will quiet down for about a minute, I'm guessing it pumps back up from the high pressure.

I did get a vid. 441 whp, 2nd gear, unlocked converter, 12 PSI, maybe slightly spinning. I'm going to guess close to 525whp on a dynojet with converter locked and no spin. I was shooting for 700whp on 20 lbs and pump gas but I couldn't get a lick of traction once boost hit 14 lbs.

Old 10-22-2015, 06:11 PM
TECH Addict

No offense, but it sounds like you're on seven cylinders until it starts to get up on the pipe. Maybe even then. Check plugs or anything. May just be the sound quality, but it doesn't sound like it's completely lit.
Old 10-22-2015, 07:34 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by 3 window
No offense, but it sounds like you're on seven cylinders until it starts to get up on the pipe. Maybe even then. Check plugs or anything. May just be the sound quality, but it doesn't sound like it's completely lit.
It has a pretty bad 10% throttle surge. It only does it below 10% throttle. It doesn't do it at idle or anything over 10%. Plugs all look identical, I've changed them almost weekly. Surge is from an odd mix of AFR and timing. I haven't gotten around to getting it ironed out, but its a PITA driving around since I only need 8-10% throttle to hold a steady speed.
Old 10-23-2015, 01:08 AM
8 Second Club

Received 700 Likes on 441 Posts

The dyno I operate is identical.
Would like to see how it's strapped down.
But correct on the street tires.
And belt dressing. It works!

Ran 9.59@142 last night on 14 lbs....testing my new boost ****. Manual controller. 15 psi netted bad tire spin. But the controller works nice.
Old 10-23-2015, 08:09 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by RonSSNova
The dyno I operate is identical.
Would like to see how it's strapped down.
But correct on the street tires.
And belt dressing. It works!

Ran 9.59@142 last night on 14 lbs....testing my new boost ****. Manual controller. 15 psi netted bad tire spin. But the controller works nice.
Your setup gives me a lot of hope, Ron.
We're at similar weights with similar setups. You probably have more top-end power with your cam and intake, while I have more low - mid power for the same reasons. Even so, I would suspect I could run similar times at 17ish lbs as you are on 14. The fact that I've been driving it daily on 19 lbs without a hiccup gives me even more hope.
Old 10-23-2015, 10:25 AM
8 Second Club

Your setup gives me a lot of hope, Ron.
We're at similar weights with similar setups. You probably have more top-end power with your cam and intake, while I have more low - mid power for the same reasons. Even so, I would suspect I could run similar times at 17ish lbs as you are on 14. The fact that I've been driving it daily on 19 lbs without a hiccup gives me even more hope.
Exactly! That's why I posted the info.
We have track rental tomorrow at a well prepped track. should be interesting.
Your car looks good!
Ron
Old 10-23-2015, 10:34 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 239 Likes on 166 Posts

Good deal Ron, I just want to see a 9.9 next spring after the winter upgrades w/o having to put it on hurt, lol
Old 10-29-2015, 07:31 AM
Restricted User

I've been testing the 2 step. I have a wire coming off of the brake switch that goes to a toggle switch, and then that splits between the 2 step box and a relay that breaks signal from the IAT. In the IAT spark correction table in HPT, I went down to the 100 kPa row on the two columns on the farthest left (below freezing IATs), and pulled 10 degrees out, so I shouldn't ever experience the timing drop unless I'm wide open and its 14 degrees out. Since its just 2 cells I could easily tune it out if for some reason I need to drive it in very cold weather.

So when I want to launch, I flip the toggle switch and then the 2 step and anti-lag are activated by the brake pedal. I'll add another relay for the 3rd gear sloppy trans-brake to work on the same circuit, but if I can get by with what I have set up now and don't push through the brakes at 3300, I'll keep it as-is. I'm not sure how the delay on the 3-1 shift would effect my 60-foot time since it will take off for a brief instance in 3rd gear when I let off of the brake.

With no changes to the tune and the 2 step set to 3300 RPM, I can build 3 lbs of boost in ~3 seconds in neutral. This is with 21 degrees of timing.

If I pull 10 degrees, I do get the random backfire, but I can build 7 PSI in ~1.6 seconds in neutral. Since I probably won't get to the track this year, I won't be able to test out how it launches on the different settings. Anything in the 1.5-1.6 60' range would make me more than happy.
Old 10-29-2015, 07:54 AM
Restricted User

On another note, after a few slight tuning changes, throwing a different set of tires on (and taking Ron's belt dressing advice), and fixing the negative battery cable issues I had last week, I had a much better experience on the dyno. I was in the area so I dropped in. I'll post vid and graph in a few days when I get time trim the vid and upload them. I'm still having issues with my Imageshack account which is why I haven't posted a decent update in a while, and the pics are gone from my last one.
Old 10-29-2015, 02:03 PM
8 Second Club

On another note, after a few slight tuning changes, throwing a different set of tires on (and taking Ron's belt dressing advice), and fixing the negative battery cable issues I had last week, I had a much better experience on the dyno. I was in the area so I dropped in. I'll post vid and graph in a few days when I get time trim the vid and upload them. I'm still having issues with my Imageshack account which is why I haven't posted a decent update in a while, and the pics are gone from my last one.
Good news. You will be ready for next year.
Old 01-28-2016, 09:04 PM
Restricted User

Looks like the car is about to undergo round 2.
Now that its driveable, I need to actually focus on it being a car again.

This winter/spring its getting a mini-tub, new wheels and tires, a new engine harness, switching to a TBSS intake, a new crossover pipe, relocating the battery to the trunk, putting the inner fenders back on, all new weatherstripping (the entire car), some subframe connectors and a drive-shaft loop, new seat belts, 2" lowering blocks for the rear, a new set of lifters, and maybe some other minor improvements.

Afterwards, as long as things go as planned, I'll be replacing all of the glass, replacing the bumpers with fiberglass bumpers, replacing the driver's door, plumbing the fuel filler neck between the taillights, and getting it prepped for paint.

I've managed to tune this thing on 24 PSI on pump/meth. It'll be interesting to see if I can make it completely down the quarter without running out of gear.
Old 03-30-2016, 08:20 PM
Restricted User

Nova 1.5 got its first drive today. Good and bad.

In the last month, I've lowered the rear 2", switched to TBSS intake, 92mm throttle body, relocated the battery into the trunk, installed new seat belts, new lifters, power brakes, and some other things.

Started it up today. The brake pedal is floppy and loose for the first 50% of the throw. with the car running, you can literally wiggle it back and forth with a finger. Brakes DO work though, just needs some major adjustment I guess.

Went for a drive. I expected the tune to be a little off, but it was WAY off. Backfired, cut out, stumbled. Kept blowing the intercooler piping off of the throttle body. Got home, checked the logs. The TPS wasn't reading at all. I'm going to assume this is why it was running so bad. Once I plugged it back in, the car ran much better and the AFR was a little more steady. Still can't do any pulls, it keeps blowing the intercooler piping off. Blows it off so hard that the meth nozzle crashed into the radiator, busted into the piping, and dented the radiator.

Tried 3 T bolt clamps and a worm clamp. Nothing will hold it on there.... The new elbow coupler at the throttle body is 50% thicker than the old one, and the lip on the throttle is a lot smaller, so I think its having trouble getting any bite.
Old 03-30-2016, 10:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm 99% sure its a lifter. It seems to lose a cylinder when it starts to happen. If I go wide open it will quiet down for about a minute, I'm guessing it pumps back up from the high pressure.

I did get a vid. 441 whp, 2nd gear, unlocked converter, 12 PSI, maybe slightly spinning. I'm going to guess close to 525whp on a dynojet with converter locked and no spin. I was shooting for 700whp on 20 lbs and pump gas but I couldn't get a lick of traction once boost hit 14 lbs.

441whp dyno pull. 69 Nova, turbo 5.3 - YouTube
Turbo took forever to spool there. What turbine wheel does it have?
Old 03-30-2016, 11:31 PM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Damn Joe, how many pounds of boost is it hitting when it blows it off? To fire the coupler/pipe off so hard that it dented the radiator it had to have some force behind it!
Old 03-31-2016, 12:16 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been testing the 2 step. I have a wire coming off of the brake switch that goes to a toggle switch, and then that splits between the 2 step box and a relay that breaks signal from the IAT. In the IAT spark correction table in HPT, I went down to the 100 kPa row on the two columns on the farthest left (below freezing IATs), and pulled 10 degrees out, so I shouldn't ever experience the timing drop unless I'm wide open and its 14 degrees out. Since its just 2 cells I could easily tune it out if for some reason I need to drive it in very cold weather.

So when I want to launch, I flip the toggle switch and then the 2 step and anti-lag are activated by the brake pedal. I'll add another relay for the 3rd gear sloppy trans-brake to work on the same circuit, but if I can get by with what I have set up now and don't push through the brakes at 3300, I'll keep it as-is. I'm not sure how the delay on the 3-1 shift would effect my 60-foot time since it will take off for a brief instance in 3rd gear when I let off of the brake.

With no changes to the tune and the 2 step set to 3300 RPM, I can build 3 lbs of boost in ~3 seconds in neutral. This is with 21 degrees of timing.

If I pull 10 degrees, I do get the random backfire, but I can build 7 PSI in ~1.6 seconds in neutral. Since I probably won't get to the track this year, I won't be able to test out how it launches on the different settings. Anything in the 1.5-1.6 60' range would make me more than happy.
Add timing! i had the same thought as you about pulling timing, but you defiantly wanna add. i think i added about 20 degrees and it lit off quick and got everything working. i am also using the same iat and 2 step method. works like a charm.

Quick Reply: 69 Nova. 5.3 L33 Turbo build. Billet S474, LOTS of pictures...