Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

ptc converters

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 09:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You guys running turbos what type of stalls are you getting from PTC?
Old 04-07-2014, 12:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

3600 here
Old 04-07-2014, 12:32 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

For all the replies about "PTC nailed it on the first try", my question is what did they nail? How many of you guys are actually using a driveshaft sensor to measure slip?
Old 04-07-2014, 10:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I ran a 3800 on a dd bolt on car. Great service converter
made huge difference.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:47 AM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Blown06
For all the replies about "PTC nailed it on the first try", my question is what did they nail? How many of you guys are actually using a driveshaft sensor to measure slip?
This is what I'm getting at. I'd like to know how these guys determine if they need a tighter or looser stall. I'd like to go with a PTC or Circle-D for my next converter so I can get a multidisk again, but at the same time the Yank PY3400 hasn't given me any grief that I know about. Lots of guys swear by custom spec'd converters, cams, cupholders, etc, but I'm to lazy to get into all that noise. It does make me wonder what I'm missing though when it comes to converters
Old 04-07-2014, 04:43 PM
8 Second Club

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by willizm
This is what I'm getting at. I'd like to know how these guys determine if they need a tighter or looser stall. I'd like to go with a PTC or Circle-D for my next converter so I can get a multidisk again, but at the same time the Yank PY3400 hasn't given me any grief that I know about. Lots of guys swear by custom spec'd converters, cams, cupholders, etc, but I'm to lazy to get into all that noise. It does make me wonder what I'm missing though when it comes to converters
"Nailing it" as far as I am concerned on a turbo converter is one that it loose enough to allow the turbo to build boost at the line but not loose enough to push through the converter and create excessive slippage. On an NA application of course it is a different story.

As far as needing a driveshaft sensor to measure slippage, I have always measured it the same way for the last 25 years. MPH at the end of the quarter mile and RPM crossing the line. A simple calculation to factor how much slippage you are getting.

But that's just me.....
Old 04-07-2014, 04:50 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ratical
"Nailing it" as far as I am concerned on a turbo converter is one that it loose enough to allow the turbo to build boost at the line but not loose enough to push through the converter and create excessive slippage. On an NA application of course it is a different story.

As far as needing a driveshaft sensor to measure slippage, I have always measured it the same way for the last 25 years. MPH at the end of the quarter mile and RPM crossing the line. A simple calculation to factor how much slippage you are getting.

But that's just me.....
I guess that makes sense. I feel spot on then. I can build 5-6psi on the line with 2step and tbrake and hit the traps at the same mph/rpm that the gear calc says I'm good for at the top of 3rd.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:30 PM
On The Tree

i ordered my ptc converter after riding in my buddies turbo car. now if only they werent behind and i was gonna get it fast. i am sure it will be worth the wait but damn i wish i had it soon
Old 04-08-2014, 12:08 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I used to do the mph/trap rpm calculation thing too........and it's fairly close. I get a difference of about 4% when doing it that way compared to a driveshaft sensor.

So what slip numbers are you guys saying is "nailed"?
Old 04-13-2014, 10:39 PM
Teching In

PTC here . For any any one thinking about a ptc call and talk to Tim , he will get you taken care of and answer any questions you may have

Quick Reply: ptc converters