Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

LQ9 Turbo questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 08:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LQ9 Turbo questions

I have a LQ9 with some basic bolt ons and is backed up by a 4L60e. I'm bored with the power and am looking for some more, so instead of going with a bigger cam and heads, I'm deciding to go turbo.

This time around will be "cheap" as I am just starting the build. I plan to pick up a 4l80e and get a trango shift kit for it. I have a 3.73 eaton unit sitting in the garage I have been contemplating installing and will most likely replace the axles with strange axles as I plan to narrow the rearend once it blows. That plan could change, but I am waiting for the rear end to let go first.

I know the LQ9 isn't ideal, but I plan to throw on 317 heads, ls9 gaskets, and then go with Holley's midrise intake since the Hi-rise won't fit under the Camaro's cowl and I don't want to completely tear up the car to fit an intake. I plan to go with hawksthirdgen single front mount turbo for 4th gens kit;

http://www.hawksthirdgenparts.com/pr...%7B47%7DC.html

and will eventually switch to a Griffin stand up radiator and electric water pump to help reduce the clutter that will be caused by the turbo and all the piping (OCD issues).

My main questions, as I will be running my car this year and possibly next year on 93 octane (meth is in the future, but not initially), what will a safe boost be for that octane rating. I have searched and can't find the answer to that without people switching to e85. Will I have to upgrade the turbo in that kit to a larger size to reduce any back pressure issues. The injectors will also be upgraded to 60lb'ers or more so I have room to build.

I really want to get my foot wet in the turbo world so any and all answers or suggestions will be accepted. The parts will be collected all summer depending on funds, but I will try to update this as much as possible.

thanks in advance
Old 04-06-2014, 09:21 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't like running without meth or race fuel. To many variables to account for. You can pick up a cheap meth kit or build your own.

That kit is just the on3 kit. Most of it is ebay brand stuff. Not bad persay but not my cup of tea. Figure a budget then add 3500+ to it.
Old 10-05-2015, 01:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

bring this back up from the dead, i've had a tapping issue that I literally can't diagnose, so the motor came out this past weekend in which I will be checking the trans and the bottom end of the motor. At this time, i am going to stud the entire motor with ARP studs and then install ARP connecting rod bolts, the Ls9 gaskets i've had laying around and the 317's. Anyone have any issues just installing the ARP connecting rod bolts? I've read a few threads where people had to remeasure the connecting rods etc...

The next question is regapping the rings. I've read where people have simply regapped the stock rings, could you just regap used rings or buy new ones?

I'm going to get the motor ready for boost and plan to buy a kit over the winter. Get the car running right and get the tune dialed in and then install the turbo.

Thanks for any and all answers
Old 10-05-2015, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by RoidedSS
bring this back up from the dead, i've had a tapping issue that I literally can't diagnose, so the motor came out this past weekend in which I will be checking the trans and the bottom end of the motor. At this time, i am going to stud the entire motor with ARP studs and then install ARP connecting rod bolts, the Ls9 gaskets i've had laying around and the 317's. Anyone have any issues just installing the ARP connecting rod bolts? I've read a few threads where people had to remeasure the connecting rods etc...

The next question is regapping the rings. I've read where people have simply regapped the stock rings, could you just regap used rings or buy new ones?

I'm going to get the motor ready for boost and plan to buy a kit over the winter. Get the car running right and get the tune dialed in and then install the turbo.

Thanks for any and all answers

I wouldn't touch the rod bolts for the reason you stated. You can either regap stock rings or buy new it's your preference. Obviously a tired 100k motor would be happier with new rings but reusing stockers has been done many times.
Old 10-08-2015, 03:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

motor was a GM test motor I picked up back in 06'...It might have 10k miles on it lol. It sucks getting mixed replies on the rod bolts. Some will say it's absolutely needed and others will say there isn't a need and it will cause an issue with clearance. I guess studs and LS9 gaskets will have to suffice until the bottom end gives out.

Thank you
Old 10-08-2015, 04:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Unless youll be spending a lot of time above 6800rpm then leave the rod bolts alone.
Old 10-08-2015, 09:44 PM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

Power doesn't kill rod bolts, RPM and detonation do. Keep the revs low and the tune good, they bolts will outlast the rods.

Quick Reply: LQ9 Turbo questions