Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Noob to turbo build

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 03:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noob to turbo build

Hey everyone i am about to build a fully forged ls1 with stock internal sizes(no stroker setup),stock ls6 heads,ls6 intake and possibly a ls6 cam. I want to do a turbo build but need some guidance here. I have done research but its hard to find what to look for when you dont know where to start. I want to reach atleast 450-500 rwhp with this setup at around 9-12 psi of boost. I want a decent size turbo but unsure on what size, t76 possibly? I will be doing the build from scratch. not looking into buying a kit bc i cant fork up a thousands of $$$$ at a time. lol but any suggestions or opinions will be appriciated. Dont bash to hard
Old 04-09-2014, 05:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Z28_LS-WON(1)
Hey everyone i am about to build a fully forged ls1 with stock internal sizes(no stroker setup),stock ls6 heads,ls6 intake and possibly a ls6 cam. I want to do a turbo build but need some guidance here. I have done research but its hard to find what to look for when you dont know where to start. I want to reach atleast 450-500 rwhp with this setup at around 9-12 psi of boost. I want a decent size turbo but unsure on what size, t76 possibly? I will be doing the build from scratch. not looking into buying a kit bc i cant fork up a thousands of $$$$ at a time. lol but any suggestions or opinions will be appriciated. Dont bash to hard
I am also a newb to the builds but have obviously read a lot more than you. First off, you can reach 450whp with a good set of heads/cam and not have the aggravation of a turbo build. Secondly, for those kind of numbers, why even forge the motor?? Twelve# of boost with even a 250$ gt45 (68mm) will easily take you over the 600 mark and your motor will live a long healthy life. Read ALOT more and know more about what you want before spending a **** ton of unnecessary money..
Old 04-09-2014, 06:24 PM
Teching In

Yeah but i have a heads/cam setup already on two other cars and im just looking to go a new route lol. i only say 450-500rwhp on the street or daily driving. I guess i should of mentioned that i take my car out to the track alot so if i had to i could bump the psi up on race days and drop it on daily driving. and I want to forge it just incase i go with a bigger turbo or bump that psi up a lot more. Would stock internals be good up to 12 psi on that size turbo(gt45)? And thanks for the suggestions @JustAFooL!
Old 04-09-2014, 08:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've got an l33 that is stock besides the cam. Only plans are just throw the boost to it until it pops. The price you pat for these 5.3s pretty much makes them expendable. I can probably go through 3 or 4 of these motors for what you will pay for a forged rotating assembly.

As far as turbos, I bought the GT45 off of ebay. It's cheap and has proven to make good numbers for those of us who are just looking to make some pretty decent power.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:27 PM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Z28_LS-WON(1)
Yeah but i have a heads/cam setup already on two other cars and im just looking to go a new route lol. i only say 450-500rwhp on the street or daily driving. I guess i should of mentioned that i take my car out to the track alot so if mol i had to i could bump the psi up on race days and drop it on daily driving. and I want to forge it just incase i go with a bigger turbo or bump that psi up a lot more. Would stock internals be good up to 12 psi on that size turbo(gt45)? And thanks for the suggestions @JustAFooL!
More boost is a given,call tick or b toilet get a can from one of those guys, then start building a kit, whatever your budget is just know you will spend a easy 2500-3g more,Lil stuff adds up fast, honest keep reading in this section, best way to learn about fi, I wouldn't bother building the ls1 besides doing a cam, much better motor options to choose from when going boost, also if its not broke don't fix it,
Old 04-09-2014, 08:46 PM
Restricted User

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by JustAFooL
I've got an l33 that is stock besides the cam. Only plans are just throw the boost to it until it pops.
Goodluck with that. An L33 should take 1000whp like a champ if you keep the RPM below 6600. Those fourth gen rods/pistons are no joke.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:02 PM
TECH Regular

if you only hit 500rwhp with 12psi you're doing something wrong
Old 04-09-2014, 09:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JoeNova
Goodluck with that. An L33 should take 1000whp like a champ if you keep the RPM below 6600. Those fourth gen rods/pistons are no joke.
Bought the block first, rods and pistons came next. They are genIII. It should still hold up pretty well though if I can get the bottom end right, never assembled one.
Old 04-10-2014, 01:05 AM
Teching In

loving the feedback guys. and im going to look at more set ups with the gt45 turbo. not because i want to go the cheap route but im looking to make decent power for a budget build. i may just go with stock rods and crank and get forged pistons that will lower the CR down some. Like the the title says im a noob to this area but will take any information or suggestions given to me! Just from these few post i think the gt45 will be a good choice for my goals
Old 04-10-2014, 01:21 AM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

For a budget the S475 would be a good option. Nothing wrong with having a built forged engine. You can't really overbuild a piece of mind in knowing that your engine will take whatever you want to throw at it.

There are a bunch of other options aswell for turbos too. Turbonetics 7668 or 7675, Master Power t76, Precision 7675 cast or billet, Magnum t76 etc.

Quick Reply: Noob to turbo build