Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

prepping a 5.3 for boost

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 03:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default prepping a 5.3 for boost

at least I think its a 5.3.... j/y told me its a 2003 5.3 from a Silverado. im used to sbc's so im just looking for some advice on getting this motor ready to go into my truck. it has 706 heads on it. im planning on using ebay head studs, which head gaskets should I use and where did you get yours? for a cam I was planning to run a tu2, I know its a little big but I wanna see how it works out, love the lope it has. reuse the stock lifters? does the timing chain need to be upgraded? plan on using an edelbrock vic jr intake with an elbow and probably used ls1 tb. anything else I need to do? motor will probably see 20-22 lbs of boost. hopefully it holds together. by the pic, is it a 5.3? you can see the dish in the piston, but its maybe an 1/8 of an inch deep. thanks for the help guys

Old 04-14-2014, 01:47 PM
Teching In

I'm not an expert by any means, but I'm starting on a build very similar to yours. Since your going to be over 15lbs of boost, I'd get some head studs. KMJ I believe is where everyone gets the Chinese stud version used widely. LS9 headgaskets are good for boost and affordable. Some might say new lifters aren't necessary, but for me a new cam means new lifters. LS7 lifters are relatively inexpensive and seem to work well. As far as vendors, look through the vendors on this site.

Also, what fuel are you using? Intercooler, Meth injection? 22lbs of boost will need either E85, or pump + intercooler & meth to stay fairly safe.
Old 04-14-2014, 02:02 PM
On The Tree

already planned on the Chinese studs. undecided on head gaskets right now. will run on 93 octane, a2a intercooler, maybe meth if I need it, most likely will. e85 isint available where I live, well within 50 miles of where I live.

what all did you guys do to your 5.3 before dropping it in? things like, which studs, which gaskets, did you open the rings, rod bolts,? brian tooley valve springs seem pretty popular, pretty sure im gonna use those. did u guys do a valve job, or just slap it back together? and reuse lifters or new? thanks guys!
Old 04-14-2014, 02:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You want to push over 20lbs on a stock bottom end? Not saying its not possible but fuel and tuning will be vital for those goals.

Ebay head studs.
LS9 Head gaskets.
Brian Tooley springs are good.
LS7 lifters will do more than good.
Id get a custom grind cam instead.
A good size intercooler with some good methanol will be required for safety if staying on pump gas. Otherwise id run Ethanol.

What turbo you gonna run?
What vehicle?

Look in Denmah's (member on here) builds. You will learn a lot from Matt
Old 04-14-2014, 02:25 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm so tempted to pick up an 04-06 5.3 and make it a budget stock bottom end block (backup motor) if mine ever takes a crap.

Is it still recommended to get some ARP rod bolts with the newer style rods? I recall that being a big concern for stock bottom end guys a few years back.

OP if you're set on a speed inc cam look at the TU1.5. It would probably be better tailored to your needs and CI.
Old 04-14-2014, 02:26 PM
On The Tree

panther, your build sounds like exactly what I was planning. I wasn't sure about replacing lifters tho, did you use stock pushrods? plan is two s366 turbos, in a 93 s10 at about 2800 lbs. lots have pushed 20-22lbs on stock bottom end, so im gonna try it. ill start lower obviously, maybe 15lbs. and matts builds have taught me a lot. haha he seems like a great guy
Old 04-14-2014, 03:07 PM
11 Second Club

I have a stock bottom end 1999 4.8
Chinese Studs
LS9 Head Gaskets
Stock Lifters
Comp Hardened Push Rods
Pac 1218 Springs
Worked 862 heads
LS6 Cam
LS2 Intake
Ebay 90mm TB
APS TT kit at 14 psi,E85,and 9 degrees of timing netted me 568 hp and 505 ft of torque.

I only got one pull with the tuner because it shot the freeze plug out of the head. I think with more timing it will come close to 700 hp. This is going through a 8 inch 3800 turbo stall and a powerglide.

I am limiting the boost to 15 due to the fact of the LS1 style rods are the weak link. The 2004+ 4.8 and 5.3's come with the LS2 style rods which are stronger. Also consider spending the 150 bucks on a melling oil pump.

Last edited by SM105K; 04-14-2014 at 03:12 PM.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

99 5.3 ls2 cam 20psi e85 19degs with meth injection netted me 143mph in the 1/4.
Open ring gap up to 24-26 top and bottom new lifters and new trays trays are a must!!!!! With high mileage. Studs will help keep the head down
Old 04-14-2014, 05:58 PM
On The Tree

why are they trays a must? sorry im new to ls motors. so most people are buying new lifters then?
Old 04-15-2014, 12:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

03 90k 5.3
Completely stock except for
Cam
Studs
Ls1 head gaskets
Valve springs.
Haven't ran it yet but I'm looking for 650-700 rwhp on Huron kit
Old 04-15-2014, 05:50 AM
8 Second Club

Sorry to hijak your thread, chevyrules,
But im building a 5.3 turbo here in australia, chasing 1000 hp atw, and the only available headstuds are the arp, which are over $400. Has anyone git a link to these chinese studs everyones talking about, and are they any good, cheers
Old 04-15-2014, 08:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I WILL NOT BUILD A ENGINE FOR ANY ONE IF THEY DO NOT AGREE TO PUT LIFTER TRAYS IN IT... (30K+) JUST GOOD INSURANCE.. SEEN TO MANY LIFTER FAILERS FROM THEM TURNING IN THE TRAYS AND DESTROYING THE CAM

HERES THE LINK FOR THE CHEAP SET
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LS1-LS6-Head-Studs-1999-2003-May-fit-some-2004-/221414200104?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item338d509328&vxp=mtr
Old 04-15-2014, 08:33 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by 9sectruck
I WILL NOT BUILD A ENGINE FOR ANY ONE IF THEY DO NOT AGREE TO PUT LIFTER TRAYS IN IT... (30K+) JUST GOOD INSURANCE.. SEEN TO MANY LIFTER FAILERS FROM THEM TURNING IN THE TRAYS AND DESTROYING THE CAM

HERES THE LINK FOR THE CHEAP SET
LS1 LS6 Head Studs 1999 2003 May Fit Some 2004 | eBay
Thanks mate. Would you reccomend them?
Old 04-15-2014, 08:51 AM
TECH Resident

There is an entire thread about the Ebay/Chinese headstuds. Seem to be holding up well for most people. I believe some have pushed them into the upper 20+ lbs of boost range without an issue.

OP...might as well add Lifters and Lifter Trays if you are taking the head off anyway. Its a cheap investment to minimize any issues like 9sec mentioned. If you have the cash and know how might as well change out the maintenance thing like Oil Pump and Timing Chain setup...again if its within your budget. Is it necessary....probably not as there are many many examples of people dropping springs + cam and beating the hell out of their setup.

If you can pick up an LS9 headgasket thats what has been recommended as long as you do not have the heads that have the "ridge" in it. I believe this is one option but if I am mistaken please correct me as I dont want to provide wrong info:
Amazon.com: Victor Reinz 54441 Cylinder Head Gasket: Automotive Amazon.com: Victor Reinz 54441 Cylinder Head Gasket: Automotive

As far as the rods, from what I understand the 05+ series motors had the stronger Rod and Rod bolt design. For the series which is older than that some people will recommended ARP Rod Bolts.

Just information I have been gathering for my build so if anything is wrong someone correct me.

Last edited by 2muchboostNY; 04-29-2014 at 11:18 AM.
Old 04-15-2014, 02:03 PM
Teching In

to help the op out is there a place or places that most people use to get a great buy on the oil pump,timing chain,lifter trays and lifters.i have no experience buying any of this stuff new but with the help of others we may be able to find the best prices around to make the build still inexpensive.if so i just may build a 5.3 with some new parts this go around.thanks to everyone in advance.
Old 04-15-2014, 02:15 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by nofxgivn
to help the op out is there a place or places that most people use to get a great buy on the oil pump,timing chain,lifter trays and lifters.i have no experience buying any of this stuff new but with the help of others we may be able to find the best prices around to make the build still inexpensive.if so i just may build a 5.3 with some new parts this go around.thanks to everyone in advance.
This guys on the right path with helping others. So besides where to get a few small parts, I'm sure some of us are also wondering....is it true that if you don't use it you lose it?
Old 04-15-2014, 02:22 PM
Staging Lane

OP run LS9 gaskets, replace the lifters. If your gonna spend 300+ on a cam why risk tearing a lobe apart. If your really planning 20+ your gonna need a killer tune on 93 and meth. BTW it is helpful to open up the ring gaps which might be possible with your old rings provided they're low mileage, not brittle and can be removed without distorting them...if you don't do this run it at your own risk as that much pressure/heat you've got a good chance of butting the rings together. Total seal = New motor...Its a 5.3 so if it pops grab another....Its all in what you want to do could you throw it in push and pray?? Sure but if your seeking longevity you may want to take some precautionary measures.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:20 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by crazyelf
This guys on the right path with helping others. So besides where to get a few small parts, I'm sure some of us are also wondering....is it true that if you don't use it you lose it?
is that a serious question? hahaha love that movie

anyways, I didn't realize the trays are what hold the lifters straight, as I said im new to the ls series engines. ill get new lifters and trays. I get great discounts at my auto parts store where I work, but im still not sure its the cheapest place to buy these parts, any advice there would be awesome. I already planned on using the Chinese studs. and whats the ridge in the head ? never heard of that, ill probably use ls9 gaskets, people seem to have great success with them despite the larger bore in the gasket, seems odd to me. this motor supposedly has 156k on it, I was thinking about leaving the rings alone. and hoping for the best. I would like longevity, but if it pops, its a 500 dollar motor, not a 5k or 10k motor, so whatever. haha the cam and spings are going to cost more than the motor, so I will do lifters and trays to protect the new cam, thanks for the help so far guys!
Old 04-16-2014, 08:45 AM
TECH Resident

Google "5.3 notch" and the first image that comes up shows the 5.3 heads with and without the notch. I did not want to post the link for Performance Truck as I am not sure if that is against the rules.

The LS1 or LS9 gasket will only work if you do not have the notch which requires a Graphite HG vs a Metal MLS like the LS9.
Old 04-16-2014, 05:16 PM
On The Tree

I googled the 'notch' I don't have it. my engine had steel layered gaskets when I took it apart also. any info on best place to get the lifter trays? thanks guys

Quick Reply: prepping a 5.3 for boost