Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Fuel pressure regulator goes on supply or return?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 04:49 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by CameronVic
Nope, but it's not the "typical" way, so therefor, I'm wrong. This is exactly how Denmah's 3.0 fairmont was done. He only had -6 feed, didn't melt the motor down hammering out a 9.6 at 144 pass right off the street. Guess he's wrong too!
You really dont get it ?

There are many ways you can plumb the system and get fuel, how many times does that need repeated for you ?

Some ways are better than others. So where have I said it is "wrong" ?

I have clearly said it is not the ideal or best way to do it, especially without confirming fuel pressure.

But nowhere have I said it will not, or cannot work if implemented in a sensible manner.

And it certainly isnt new, ground breaking, lateral thinking, in or outside any boxes etc etc, because I have been running 2 of my 4 rails as dead ends for about 7 years.
But I know my fuel pressure is solid, because Ive checked.

That doesnt alter the fact dead end rails are less than ideal, especially if you dont understand what you're doing.

If you fully understand and are aware of the deficiencies of such a layout and plumb it with suitable fittings, rail diameter etc etc then it can of course work.
Old 04-24-2014, 05:01 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No I completely get it. I'm just making a point that either way will work (something you've said also). I just want whoever might read this and not be as experienced as us to realize they have multiple ways to do it. The problem with LS1tech is that all too often, people say things can't or shouldn't be done, and then inexperienced people spend needless amounts of money.

I'm going to do it this way because One of my rails is close to the alternator and the 180* actually touches the back of the plastic on the alt. And my manifolds are flipped up and forward, so I'm going to feed them from the back and dead head the fronts. This alternative method is the best way for me to safely run my fuel system.

The new motor and turbo setup will make close to 1000FWHP, and I know this method will work fine, based on what others have already done successfully.

So is the phrase "less than optimum" true? In my opinion, no, not at all. It's not as good as the other way, but anything that can handle close to 800 wheel and not melt the motor down is perfectly optimum.
Old 04-24-2014, 05:09 PM
9 Second Club

Advising people who do not understand or have experience to work out problems etc, and telling them to do things which are less than ideal because you think it is generically ok, is a very very bad way to give advice.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:40 PM
8 Second Club

Received 120 Likes on 89 Posts

not melt the motor down is perfectly optimum.
Da ****
Old 04-24-2014, 06:51 PM
TECH Regular

You guys are right. My next build will be a forged 370, Garrett turbos, pt4000, rule 3700, 25.5, fab 9", -12 feed y to two -10 at the rails, fpr after the rails (of course), belt drive fuel pump, rossler 2 speed th400, big stuff, racepack. Cheaping out anywhere or doing it a non traditional way will never work.

Boy, I'm glad I never listened to you guys when I built my car.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:06 PM
8 Second Club

Received 120 Likes on 89 Posts

Don't be a douche. You sound like an idiot.

I have had my regulator in the back of the car before. I obviously have done it both ways and have have gauges to view

I can tell you rail pressure stays much more stable in terms of pulsing at highoad and injector pulse widths when viewing. The sender voltage

BTW. How many engines have you blown up?
Old 04-24-2014, 09:08 PM
TECH Regular

3, and not one had anything to do with fuel.
Old 04-25-2014, 02:52 AM
9 Second Club

3, and not one had anything to do with fuel.
Would you know if it was ?
Old 04-25-2014, 06:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 74 Likes on 40 Posts

I cant believe there is a 4 page thread on this. Stevie is right, I am an engineer by trade and it looks like he is too. FPR before the rails will absolutely work but I'd rather not leave my FPR blind to what its supposed to be regulating, ie the FP through the rails. Pressure is absolutely lost across the rails, especially at high loads and because there are flow restrictions in the system. While its probably not enough to grenade a motor, i'd rather just eliminate a potential hazard. Guess what? Routing the FPR before or after the rails costs EXACTLY the same amount of money.

Its a matter of preference and if the best way costs the exact same amount as a less "optimum" way, its a no brainer.

You guys are arguing symantics.
Old 04-25-2014, 08:49 AM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This has been an entertaining read. Rotary hit it on the head with his first two comments in his last post. Because you have ran 9's Cameron, you are all the sudden the ******* man! I see it all over the internet now. Congrats!

FWIW, I have mine like you do Ryan. Also, I am using a cellulose 10 micron filter pre injectors, and my stock feed, which is now my return, still has the stock filter on it. I have had no issues and have inspected the filters as well.
Old 04-25-2014, 08:51 AM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

On the internet everyone is a expert.
Old 04-25-2014, 10:16 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Ryans99ls1
I cant believe there is a 4 page thread on this. Stevie is right, I am an engineer by trade and it looks like he is too.
What's the difference between an engineer and a hostage taker? You can negotiate with a hostage taker!
Originally Posted by RedRocketZ28
Because you have ran 9's Cameron, you are all the sudden the ******* man! I see it all over the internet now. Congrats!
Thanks man!
Old 04-25-2014, 01:03 PM

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

i have done a regulator before, after, and hitting one or both rails at the same time

also stock truck intake with the stock return regulator

and gone 9s on all of them without fuel issue.

just do what you want with what you got.
Old 04-25-2014, 01:22 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by denmah
i have done a regulator before, after, and hitting one or both rails at the same time

also stock truck intake with the stock return regulator

and gone 9s on all of them without fuel issue.

just do what you want with what you got.
Old 04-25-2014, 01:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 74 Likes on 40 Posts

Lol not one person said it wouldnt work.
Old 04-25-2014, 01:47 PM
TECH Regular

Lol. It was implied that motors turn into Chernobyl if you do it that way.
Old 04-25-2014, 01:54 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lol. It was implied that motors turn into Chernobyl if you do it that way.
I'm sorry but I read through all of this here and all everyone said is that it isn't the best way of doing it or the "optimal" way, no one stated it would cause a motor to blow anywhere.
Old 04-25-2014, 02:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I actually have seen high hp Subaru motors have the last cylinder on a series set up run leaner. Changed to parallel and it cleared up. Could very well have burnt out that piston. Series being where you have the crossover between cylinders instead of a feed for each side. Last cylinder in the chain was the one that ran lean.
Old 04-25-2014, 02:07 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Sarg
I actually have seen high hp Subaru motors have the last cylinder on a series set up run leaner. Changed to parallel and it cleared up. Could very well have burnt out that piston. Series being where you have the crossover between cylinders instead of a feed for each side. Last cylinder in the chain was the one that ran lean.
Up to around 500hp the factory rails are ok. But it's still always advisable to switch to parallel rails or uprated rails.

All those 90deg bends in the factory pipework between the rails cant help anything.

Would normally trim cyl3 and sometimes 4 ( both rears ) with a little more fuel just for safety

How much is rails and how much is other..hard to say.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok so I bought a y black to feed each rail without connecting them in series. But my fuel pressure regulator only has 1 inlet and 3 outlets and 1 return. So how do I connect the rails to the regulator if I only have 1 inlet? Can I connect them to the outlet spots?

Quick Reply: Fuel pressure regulator goes on supply or return?